Vessel type: Ocean-going cruise ship
Purpose of Position
You ensure a friendly and professional service following the S.T.A.R. Service Experience standards while maintaining highest cleaning and hygiene standard in all assigned areas. In addition you ensure glassware, equipment and utensils as well as product in your areas are in an exceptionally clean, orderly and stocked condition. The position supports the F&B operation at times following all applicable company standards.
- Professional welcoming and sales oriented Beverage Service following the S.T.A.R. Service Experience Standards.
- Ensure absolute cleanliness and order in accordance with HACCP and USPHS rules as well as department SOP’s and supervisors directions.
- Follow service procedures according to SOP’s, Department Service Standards and all applicable Sanitation and Safety standards at all times.
- Serving beverages during meal period as instructed by supervisors; following company safe alcohol serving policies.
- Function as support and assist Waiters during service as well as being an additional guest resource.
- Working area is set up in accordance with direction from supervisor.
- Prepare and perform F&B activities (i.e. cocktail parties, Tea Time, Café Lunch) and special events as assigned.
- Assist the Bar Department as instructed and needed, including Mini Bar service.
- Tallying any sales transactions and correctly following all accounting procedures.
- Cleaning of working areas and operating equipment in accordance with company rules and standards.
- Assist in other departments upon instruction from supervisors as required.
- Keeping and storing of any assigned inventory stock in accordance with set par levels following safety and sanitation rules and regulation.
- Actively participate in and execution of onboard training programs.
- Conduct guest lecturers on board as well as partake in any shore side excursions related to wine as requested.
- Embarkation duty as directed, including luggage assistance, guest escorting and any other related duty.
- Participate in loading as required and on direction of supervisors.
- Perform related duties as required. This position description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the shipboard employee occupying this position. Shipboard employees will be required to perform any other job-related duties assigned by their supervisor or management.
Supervisor: Sommelier, Restaurant Manager, F&B Manager
Receives instructions from: Restaurant Manager, F&B Manager, Executive Chef, Hotel General Manager, Maitre d’Hotel, Headwaiter, Sommelier, Restaurant Supervisor
- At least 2 years in similar position in 3* or 4* operation.
- Very Good English skills, other languages are an asset
- International experience / shipboard experience is an asset
- Ability to work independently, service and sales oriented and guest focused, positive personality, ambitious and with professional appearance.
- Flexible and stress resistant, team player, shows commitment
- Preferred age 18 – 30.
Guidelines and Regulations
Job Description • Contract • Company Rules and Regulations • S.T.A.R. Service Experience Standards • Department Service Standards • Viking College • Uniform Regulation • F&B SOP’s
Good knowledge of the English language is required.
JOIN OUR FAMILY
As the World’s Leading River Cruise Line® and the #1 Ocean Cruise Line, we are constantly innovating our business and growing our fleet. With more than 64 river ships and 6 ocean vessels cruising across 6 continents, we are the largest, most award-winning company in the industry. There is tremendous opportunity to join our dynamically growing company — whether on board our ships or in our corporate offices.
Viking Cruises was founded in Russia in 1997. The company established headquarters in Los Angeles, California in 2000 and through rapid expansion has enjoyed double-digit growth in recent years. With operational headquarters in Basel, Switzerland, Viking provides travel experiences for guests with an interest in geography, culture and history.
The award-winning Viking Longships offer a variety of stateroom categories and true two-room suites with full-size verandas. Onboard amenities include a restaurant, bar & lounge, library and expansive sun deck. River cruises range from 8 to 23 days, with itineraries featuring Europe’s Rhine, Main, Danube, Seine, Rhône, Douro, Moselle, Elbe, Dordogne, Garonne and Gironde Rivers; Russia’s Volga, Neva and Svir; Ukraine’s Dnieper; Egypt’s Nile; China’s Yangtze; and Southeast Asia’s Mekong.
In 2015, Viking introduced its first ocean ship with the christening of the 930-guest all-veranda Viking Star. One year later, Viking launched its second ocean ship, Viking Sea, which was joined by sister ships Viking Sky and Viking Sun in 2017 and by Viking Orion in 2018. The fleet welcomes Viking Jupiter in 2019. Four more yet-to-be-named ships are scheduled to launch by 2023. Ocean itineraries are designed to maximize the amount of time travelers spend in their destination. These enriching itineraries include base and combination cruises sailing to Scandinavia and Northern Europe, the Mediterranean, the Caribbean, Australia and New Zealand, Asia, Alaska, the Americas, and Africa.