Chef de Partie Pastry
Vessel type: Ocean-going cruise ship
CHEF DE PARTIE PASTRY
Purpose of Position
Second in command in the Pastry Department. Their role is to assist the Executive Pastry Chef to effectively supervise and manage the onboard Pastry/Bakery Production, ensuring that quality standards and procedures are in line with company rules and regulations. The CDP Pastry ensures that pastry personnel are guided and trained in order to be productive.
- Responsible for leading and supporting a multi cultural team of Galley personnel, ensuring the highest level of crew satisfaction and productivity.
- The CDP Pastry in conjunction with the Executive Pastry Chef is responsible for a smooth and efficient food production operation in all outlets.
- Runs a disciplined department, being in full in control of the pastry and bakery.
- Ensures that Company menus, recipes, guidelines and methods are adhered to.
- Maintains a safe and clean work environment by complying with USPH and Company Regulations.
- Supervises and checks all pastry outlets ensuring that standards are followed accordingly.
- Must be able to work in any section of the Pastry Department and demonstrate methods and recipes.
- Produces and maintains the expected level of food quality in their area of responsibility.
- Constantly analyzes recipes and the ongoing food productions for any possible improvements.
- Ensures ongoing training following set standards.
- Works closely with the Kitchen Steward in order to accomplish tasks related to inventory, equipment control and maintenance, USPH Sanitation Rules/Regulations, training and re- enforcement.
- Assists the Executive Pastry Chef to create daily food requisitions for all pastry sections.
- Possesses good guest interaction skills, dealing with feedback received.
- Must be able to replace/takeover the Executive Pastry Chef position temporarily at any given time without lowering/altering standards.
- Primarily responsible for the entire preparation/setup of the buffet and assisting the Executive Pastry Chef with any additional assignments.Responsible to ensure assigned section is productive and operates with the least supervision required from the Executive Pastry Chef.
- Provide Crew and Staff Mess with a selection of pastry and bakery goods for all meals.
- Assist the Executive Pastry Chef to prepare additional working schedules as necessary for Pastry/Bakery Personnel.
- Ensure that recipe reviews are conducted, corrected if needed and communicated to the Executive Pastry Chef.
- Daily application of the Pastry Checklist to monitor production and preparation levels.
- Proper use of the menu check list, any discrepancies to be evaluated, reported to the Executive Pastry Chef and corrected immediately.
- Assist the Executive Pastry Chef monitoring the pastry personnel’s working hours, maintaining related records, and if applicable, correct entries for payroll purposes.
- Be present (in case the Executive Pastry Chef is absent) during loadings for quality control/assurance.
- Must be knowledgeable about established quality standards and company policies.
- In conjunction with the Executive Pastry Chef, must provide the necessary guidance/training and information to all Pastry/Bakery Staff in order to be fully productive, following up on their progress.
- Responsible for maintaining quality and consistency in taste, presentation and appearance according to recipes and pictures; rectifying discrepancies immediately.
- In conjunction with the Executive Pastry Chef, communicate on a daily basis with the provision team to utilize highly perishable food items.
- Check the fresh produce chillers on a daily basis to avoid shortages during the cruise.
- Ensure economical work practices and control food production to minimize and avoid wastage.
- Prepare daily electronic requisitions according to the guest count/forecast figures (in absence of the Executive Pastry Chef).
- Must have complete knowledge and a full understanding of USPH Rules and Regulations, ensuring that working/cleaning practices are applied throughout the operation.
- Ensure immaculate cleanliness in the Pastry/Bakery Department and adjacent areas, by applying safe work practices, procedures according to USPH Regulations and prevent any
- Equipment damages/loss.
- Responsible for controlling and maintaining all pastry equipment distributed to his/her staff, ensuring that it’s clean, sanitized and returned in an acceptable and proper condition after each use.
- Responsible for all pastry equipment in terms of cleaning, handling and storage. Any damages and/or malfunctions must be justified, recorded and reported.
- Ensure that all pastry/bakery staff appear in a proper, appropriate uniform with special attention to those working in public areas. Personal appearance and hygiene must be followed
- According to Company policies at all times.
- Ensure that the pastry/adjacent areas are ready for any announced and/or unannounced USPH inspections, done either by the Ship’s Management or local authorities (Public Health Inspectors). The Executive Pastry Chef must be present during any inspections.
- Ensure that the bakery/pastry personnel transport their provisions (fruits washed, cleaned and sanitized) with the correct utensils from the storeroom to their respective outlets.
- Assists all pastry outlets during lunch/dinner hours, which include, but is not limited to ensuring a smooth and efficient service, presentation and final plating. The dinner service must be conducted in a calm professional manner.
- The CDP Pastry must tour all outlets during service hours.
- Duties might be extended to the supervision of other pastry related activities, i.e. afternoon tea, cocktail parties, special functions, etc.
- Assist the Executive Pastry Chef to identify catering equipment that needs to be ordered (with justification, breakage report, damages, etc.) to ensure a productive operation.
- Countercheck daily deliveries from the storeroom for accuracy, reporting any discrepancies to an immediate supervisor.
- Must be familiar with the galley layout in terms of safety and security, must have a full understanding of ship rules/regulations (SMS) and participate in all required Safety
- Ensures that the HACCP program is applied accordingly.
- Must have a thorough understanding of working hours policies and procedures; be familiar with the contracts, work schedules and supporting documentation.
- Must be able to compile a report reflecting the cruise and its activities; to be submitted to the Corporate Office (in absence of the Executive Pastry Chef).
- Personality and Appearance: Must have a pleasant and courteous personality. Must be well groomed, and presentable.
- Health: Must be physically fit and in good health, able to lift up to 50 lbs (30 Kilos) on a daily basis and able to work a minimum of eleven hours per day, seven days a week.
- Professional Experience and Education: A minimum of four years in the profession (Quality Hotels or Restaurants).
- Communication and Language Skills: Must be able to read and speak English clearly in
- Order to interpret documents such as recipes and manuals. Other languages are considered a plus.
- Work Ethic: Must be a serious professional and take pride in their work. Adherence to
- Company Rules and Regulations is a must for success in the job.
Good knowledge of the English language is required.
When you have the best people, you have the best river cruise line.
Across Europe, Russia, China and Southeast Asia, more people sail with Viking than any other river cruise line. With inspiring destinations, the largest fleet of 4 and 5 star ships, memorable experiences and fine cuisine, Viking is regularly voted the world’s favorite river cruise line.
Our guests return again and again because we also offer something more – exceptional service. The kind of service provided by exceptional people. If that sounds like you, and you’d like to be part of a forward thinking and fast-expanding company, we’d like to hear from you.
Our standards set us apart. So do our career opportunities.
At Viking, we care about your career as much as you do and we will give you the training, skills and confidence you need to be the best you can be. We even have a custom training program, the Viking College, to help you learn and sharpen your skills.
We offer great opportunities for promotion where you will be rewarded for your hard work, enthusiasm, initiative and sense of responsibility.
Our management team in Switzerland overseas all aspects of our operations – from shore excursions to catering and nautical operations – everyone works for the same company, with the same high standards that Viking is famous for. We look forward to hear from you!
Set sail for your career.