P&O Cruises - Head Butcher
An exciting opportunity has arisen for an experienced Butcher to join our P&O Cruises Galley team which will allow you to travel the world, whilst getting paid and discover that working at sea is more than just a job. It is a way of life. We are looking for a Head Butcher to be responsible for managing a team of butchers, as well as the standard and quality of all production within the meat and fish preparation area.
Are you someone who is organised? Can you adapt the operation to deliver the highest level quality within the butcher shop? Do you efficiently communicate information when leading your team to achieve their targets? Do you lead by example at work so that your team provides the smoothest service and a fine dining experience? Are you someone who is reliable and able to support the team to deliver products within cost and on time?
As Head Butcher your responsibilities and duties will include:
- Ensuring the provision of high quality, professionally prepared meat and fish products
- Managing, monitoring, developing and training members of the team to ensure the provision of high quality, professionally prepared products in line with the corporate menu cycles
- Identifying training needs and coaching and mentoring junior team members, making sure your team are competent to undertake their roles
- Working closely with the Chef de Cuisine to control cost and wastage within the meat & fish preparation area.
- Informing the Chef de Cuisine informed of any shortages or discrepancies in products or ingredients, highlighting any non-compliance and gaining authorisation for suggested menu changes.
- Attending daily call over to confirm production figures and menu cycle and ensure the correct scaling up is achieved.
- Proactively planning activities ensuring products are thawed in time for need, ensure all storage times and requirements are followed
P&O Cruises require the following experience:
- Experience of working within a cruise ship Galley or in a hotel butchery ideal but will also consider large butchers shop, supermarket butchery or abattoir
- Experience of thawing, de-boning, cleaning, grinding, mincing, portion-cutting and marinating of meat would be advantageous
- Significant operational experience in high volume catering facilities such as conference and events, banqueting or large scale 4/5* star hotels
- Managerial or supervisory experience within large galley/kitchen teams
It takes great passion and real dedication to maintain our position at the top. That’s why people are at the heart of our journey delivering the highest standards to our valued customers. With support to help you reach your potential, attractive company benefits and incredible employee offers on discounted cruises we want your career with us to be successful and fun. Join us on our journey, apply now.
‘Better together’ is one of P&O Cruises’ core values. This means we are working hard to build a flexible and inclusive culture. As part of our culture difference is valued and our people can be themselves. We welcome applications from everyone because inclusivity is at the heart of everything we do. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, disability, gender, race, religion or belief, sexual orientation, marriage & civil partnership and pregnancy & maternity.
Please note that a Personal Survival Techniques (PST) STCW course is required for this role.
You will need valid STCW certificates to apply for this position. Find an STCW course near you.
Work Experience Requirements
All applicants must have previous experience in working on a Cruise Ship.
Good knowledge of the English language is required.
A world of excitement, fun and possibilities
A market leader in the cruise industry, we operate ships all over the world. We’re most widely recognised by our famous brand names P&O Cruises and Cunard Line.
Working together, it’s our mission to be the most successful - the most spectacular - cruise company in Britain. To do this, we focus on providing the finest cruise experience for each and every customer. And of course, this isn’t possible without the skill and commitment of our people on board and ashore. That’s where you come in.
P&O Cruises is the largest cruise operator in the UK and, perhaps, the best-known in the world. Working on board the seven-ship fleet of Aurora, Oriana, Arcadia, Adonia, Oceana, Ventura and Azura, you’ll have the opportunity to experience luxury cruises to the Mediterranean, the Baltic, the Norwegian Fjords, the Caribbean, the Atlantic Islands, and round-the-world voyages.
Cunard Line offers the only regular transatlantic crossing service on board the world famous Queen Mary 2. The 1,968-passenger Queen Victoria, launched in November 2007, undertakes a number of different voyages, while the latest ship, the Queen Elizabeth, joined the fleet in Autumn 2010.
It takes great passion and real commitment to maintain our position at the top. That’s why we’re always looking for people, both shipboard and shoreside, who share our obsession and drive to provide the most memorable experiences imaginable.
This is your chance to join us on our journey.