In line with corporate offices guidelines and under the supervision of the Maître D’Hôtel, the Sommelier oversees the inventory of all wine lists and trains of all dining service and bar colleagues in order to meet revenue targets assigned.
- Provides outstanding wine service in all restaurants, assists in the creation of wine menus;
- Pair wines with food: recommends wines that will complement the different styles of cuisine and different methods of food preparation;
- Increases wine sales by demonstrating personal attention, applying appropriate selling techniques and focusing on customer needs;
- Reports any complaints about wine service to the Maître D’Hôtel, ensuring fast and courteous response to guests;
- Provides wine knowledge training to dining service and bar colleagues on a regular basis;
- Oversees the inventory of wine and produces reports.
- Fluent English, oral and written. Any additional European language is considered an advantage (Italian, Portuguese, German, Spanish and French);
- High School certificate;
- Sommelier certificate;
- At least 1-year experience as Sommelier in 4/5 star restaurant, hotel or resort;
- Excellent knowledge of fine wines and premium beverages;
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills;
- Passion for hospitality and customer service driven;
- Computer literacy;
- Cruise industry experience is an advantage;
- STCW certification is compulsory (basic fire fighting, personal survival techniques, elementary first aid, personal security and social responsibility);
- A recognised medical certification is required before starting to work on board.
- Possess a valid passport and when possible a seaman book copy.
You will need valid STCW certificates to apply for this position. Find an STCW course near you.
Good knowledge of the English language is required.
JOIN US AND SEE HOW MUCH YOU CAN GROW!
MSC Cruises has grown exponentially since 2003. In such a short time, we have built a fleet of 21 modern and most environmentally advanced ships!
With our constant expansion, our fleet will grow in capacity with the arrival of eight new ships in three different classes by 2027.
One of our latest ships – MSC World Europa – was delivered in 2022, inaugurating the World Class. It is our largest cruise ship to date, with a capacity of over 6,700 passengers, served by more than 2,000 crew members.
In 2022 we also inaugurated the MSC Seascape which features new immersive high-tech entertainment with innovative technology that provides guests with endless leisure options.
From 2023 MSC Cruises will enter the Luxury segment by launching its first of four Explora Journeys ships. The ships will be equipped with the best and latest environmental technology and bestowed with a highly-innovative design.
With four new mega-ships and four Luxury ships to be built and delivered between 2023 and 2027, the biggest and most important challenge for MSC Cruises is to find, recruit and train a high number of new crew members needed to provide the service, fun and safety that have become hallmarks of MSC Cruises.
This massive project is already well under way. The Human Resources Team is not only working to recruit the best talents but is also visiting our manning agencies and hiring partners around the world to ensure that the right people and facilities are in place to prepare this ‘army’ of new crew members for their life at sea.
We need motivated and ambitious crew members who work with passion and understand the value of a smile.