Waiter (Japanese Speaker)
Become a part of a Great British tradition.
Recognised throughout the world for our elegance, style and guest-obsessed service excellence, you have the opportunity to work on some of the most globally well-known ships, as part of the Cunard team.
We are looking for those with experience in hospitality and excellent Japanese speaking skills, who match our values for high standards, heartfelt values and a sense of belonging.
Cunard - it’s all about the people
Do you consider yourself to be a team player, who can be relied on by your colleagues? Do you use your initiative each day to ensure you excel at your daily tasks? Are you a strong communicator who can deal with our international guests from all over the world?
Great passion and real dedication help us maintain our position at the top. Our people are at the heart of our journey, delivering the highest standards to our valued customers. We will support you to reach your potential, with attractive company benefits and incredible employee offers.
Have you been a waiter in a restaurant, worked in a 4/5* star hotel, have experience of working on a cruise ship, or know how to deliver exceptional customer service? We are looking for Japanese speaking waiters who can communicate fluently in English and Japanese.
Apply now, and you could soon be working on one of our luxury cruise liners like Queen Mary 2, Queen Victoria and Queen Elizabeth.
You’ll be responsible for a dedicated area of the restaurant department, ensuring a smooth and efficient operation.
Key responsibilities include:
- Hand out menus, take orders correctly and deliver food and drink quickly and accurately
- Carry out flambé / gueridon cooking demonstrations at the tables when required, and perform duties for outside catering / special events
- Process passenger billing correctly for the charge of drinks and cover charges, using the point of sale computers
- Respond to passenger questions, particularly in relation to the menu and wine, advising on alternatives
- Strive to meet the passengers needs and ensure the correct condiments for the meal are offered and refilling drinks
- Set up and clear down tables before and after service, ensuring all items are of the highest standards and set out correctly.
- Assist with the meet and greet of passengers and baggage services at the start and end of their cruise
2) Junior Waiter
Key responsibilities include:
- Maintain the overall restaurant to high standards expected of our guests, keeping the restaurant and tables clean
- Take passenger room service orders over the phone, and deliver to passenger rooms
- Ensure all cutlery, cups and glasses are restocked and there is enough available for the next restaurant service
- Engage with the passengers in a friendly and polite manner, responding to requests
- Clear tables after service and ensure they are clean in time for the next guests
- Take dirty dishes and trays to the galley, keeping the restaurant clear and clean
- Assist with the meet and greet of passengers at the start and end of their cruise
Please note no STCW's will be required for these jobs.
‘Better together’ is one of Cunard's core values. This means we are working hard to build a flexible and inclusive culture. As part of our culture difference is valued and our people can be themselves. We welcome applications from everyone because inclusivity is at the heart of everything we do. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, disability, gender, race, religion or belief, sexual orientation, marriage & civil partnership and pregnancy & maternity.
You will need valid STCW certificates to apply for this position. Find an STCW course near you.
Work Experience Requirements
All applicants must have previous experience in working on a Cruise Ship, in a 4/5* Hotel or in an Upscale Restaurant.
Good knowledge of the following languages is required: English, Japanese
A world of excitement, fun and possibilities
A market leader in the cruise industry, we operate ships all over the world. We’re most widely recognised by our famous brand names P&O Cruises and Cunard Line.
Working together, it’s our mission to be the most successful - the most spectacular - cruise company in Britain. To do this, we focus on providing the finest cruise experience for each and every customer. And of course, this isn’t possible without the skill and commitment of our people on board and ashore. That’s where you come in.
P&O Cruises is the largest cruise operator in the UK and, perhaps, the best-known in the world. Working on board the seven-ship fleet of Aurora, Oriana, Arcadia, Adonia, Oceana, Ventura and Azura, you’ll have the opportunity to experience luxury cruises to the Mediterranean, the Baltic, the Norwegian Fjords, the Caribbean, the Atlantic Islands, and round-the-world voyages.
Cunard Line offers the only regular transatlantic crossing service on board the world famous Queen Mary 2. The 1,968-passenger Queen Victoria, launched in November 2007, undertakes a number of different voyages, while the latest ship, the Queen Elizabeth, joined the fleet in Autumn 2010.
It takes great passion and real commitment to maintain our position at the top. That’s why we’re always looking for people, both shipboard and shoreside, who share our obsession and drive to provide the most memorable experiences imaginable.
This is your chance to join us on our journey.