OCEAN - Executive Pastry Chef
PURPOSE OF POSITION
Effectively supervise and manage the onboard Pastry/Bakery Production, ensuring that Quality Standards and Procedures are in line with Company Rules and Regulations. The Pastry Chef ensures that pastry personnel is guided and trained in order to be productive.
- Responsible for leading and supporting a multi cultural team of Galley personnel, ensuring the highest level of crew satisfaction and productivity.
- The Pastry Chef is responsible for a smooth and efficient food production operation in all outlets.
- Runs a disciplined department, being in full control of the pastry and bakery.
- Ensures that Menus, Recipes, Guidelines and Methods provided by the corporate office are followed accordingly.
- Maintains a safe and clean work environment by complying with USPH and Company Regulations.
- Supervises and checks all pastry outlets, ensuring that standards are followed accordingly.
- Produces and maintains the expected level of food quality in his/her area of responsibility.
- Constantly analyzes recipes and the ongoing food productions for any possible improvements.
- Ensures ongoing training, following set standards.
- Works closely with the Kitchen Steward in order to accomplish tasks related to inventory, equipment control and maintenance, USPH Sanitation Rules/Regulations, training and re- enforcement.
- Oversees the electronic requisitioning and ordering process to ensure the proper usage of ingredients.
- Possesses good guest interaction skills and deals with feedback received.
- Ensures that the Pastry/Bakery Department is productive and operates with the least supervision required from the Executive Chef.
- Provides Crew and Staff Mess with a selection of pastry and bakery goods for all meals.
- Assist the Executive Chef to prepare additional working schedules (Embarkation Day, Special Functions, etc) for Pastry/Bakery personnel.
- Ensures that recipe reviews are conducted, corrected if needed and communicated to the Executive Chef and corporate office
- Daily application of the Checklist to monitor production and preparation levels.
- Proper use of the menu check list; files must be kept in the Chef’s office for corporate reviews.
- Monitor working hours, maintain working hours paperwork and if applicable, correct entries for payroll purposes.
- Be present during loadings for quality control/assurance (Pastry, Bakery, Fruits and Berries).
- Must be knowledgeable of established quality standards and company policies.
- Must provide the necessary guidance/training and information to all Pastry/Bakery Staff in order to be fully productive and follow up on their progress. Responsible for maintaining quality and consistency in taste, presentation and appearance according to recipes and pictures; any possible discrepancies are to be rectified immediately.
- Communicate on a daily basis with the provision team to utilize highly perishable food items.
- Must check the fresh produce chillers on a daily basis to avoid shortages during the cruise.
- Ensure economical work practices and controls the food production to minimize/avoid wastage.
- Prepare the daily electronic requisitions according to guest count/forecast figures.
- Must have a complete knowledge and full understanding of USPH Rules and Regulations, ensuring that working/cleaning practices are applied throughout the operation.
- Ensure immaculate cleanliness in the Pastry/Bakery Department and adjacent areas, by applying safe working practices and procedures according to USPH Regulations and prevent any equipment damage/loss.
- Responsible for controlling and maintaining all Pastry equipment distributed to his/her staff, ensuring that it is cleaned/sanitized and returned in an acceptable and proper condition after each use.
- Fully responsible for all Pastry Equipment in terms of cleaning, handling and storage. Any damages and/or malfunctions must be justified, recorded and reported.
- Ensure that all Pastry/Bakery Staff appear in proper, appropriate uniform, with special attention to those working in public areas. Personal appearance and hygiene must be followed according to Company policies at all times.
- Ensure that the pastry/adjacent areas are ready for any announced and/or unannounced USPH inspections, done either by the Ship’s Management or local authorities (Public Health Inspectors). The Pastry Chef must be present for any inspections.
- Ensure that Bakery/Pastry personnel transport their provisions (fruits washed, cleaned and sanitized) with the correct utensils from the storeroom to their respective outlets.
- Countercheck daily deliveries from the Storeroom for its accuracy and take the necessary action in case it is not delivered as requested.
- Assist in conducting the Dinner Service Line, which includes but is not limited to, ensuring a smooth and efficient service, presentation and final plating. The Dinner service must be conducted in a calm professional manner.
- The Pastry Chef must tour all outlets during service hours (Lunch/Dinner).
- Duties might be extended to the supervision of other activities, ie afternoon tea, pool parties, cocktail parties, special functions, etc as far as the Pastry Department is concerned.
- Provide requisitions for all Catering equipment (with justification, breakage report, damages, etc.) to ensure a productive operation.
- Must be familiar with the galley layout in terms of safety and security, must have a full understanding of ship rules/regulations (SMS) and participate in all required Safety Drills/Training.
- Ensure that the HACCP program is applied accordingly.
- Must have a thorough understanding of how working hours policies and procedures operate; be familiar with the contracts and work schedules hours/week and supporting documentation.
- Compile reports reflecting the cruise and its activities, to be submitted to the Corporate Office.
- Personality and Appearance: Must have a pleasant and courteous personality. Must be well groomed, and presentable.
- Health: Must be physically fit and in good health, able to lift up to 50 lbs (30 Kilos) on a daily basis and be able to work a minimum of eleven hours per day, seven days a week.
- Professional Experience and Education: Standard High School Education. Requires a minimum of 8 years in the profession (Quality Hotels or Restaurants) with advanced pastry skills covering sugar work, chocolate work and any other specialized skills needed. Must have strong knowledge in the Bakery field
- Communication and Language Skills: Must be able to read and speak English clearly in order to interpret and orate documents such as recipes and manuals to his team. Other languages are considered a plus.
- Work Ethic: Take pride in your work. Adherence to Company Rules and Regulations is a must for success in the job.
Good knowledge of the English language is required.
JOIN OUR FAMILY
As the World’s Leading River Cruise Line® and the #1 Ocean Cruise Line, we are constantly innovating our business and growing our fleet. With more than 64 river ships and 6 ocean vessels cruising across 6 continents, we are the largest, most award-winning company in the industry. There is tremendous opportunity to join our dynamically growing company — whether on board our ships or in our corporate offices.
Viking Cruises was founded in Russia in 1997. The company established headquarters in Los Angeles, California in 2000 and through rapid expansion has enjoyed double-digit growth in recent years. With operational headquarters in Basel, Switzerland, Viking provides travel experiences for guests with an interest in geography, culture and history.
The award-winning Viking Longships offer a variety of stateroom categories and true two-room suites with full-size verandas. Onboard amenities include a restaurant, bar & lounge, library and expansive sun deck. River cruises range from 8 to 23 days, with itineraries featuring Europe’s Rhine, Main, Danube, Seine, Rhône, Douro, Moselle, Elbe, Dordogne, Garonne and Gironde Rivers; Russia’s Volga, Neva and Svir; Ukraine’s Dnieper; Egypt’s Nile; China’s Yangtze; and Southeast Asia’s Mekong.
In 2015, Viking introduced its first ocean ship with the christening of the 930-guest all-veranda Viking Star. One year later, Viking launched its second ocean ship, Viking Sea, which was joined by sister ships Viking Sky and Viking Sun in 2017 and by Viking Orion in 2018. The fleet welcomes Viking Jupiter in 2019. Four more yet-to-be-named ships are scheduled to launch by 2023. Ocean itineraries are designed to maximize the amount of time travelers spend in their destination. These enriching itineraries include base and combination cruises sailing to Scandinavia and Northern Europe, the Mediterranean, the Caribbean, Australia and New Zealand, Asia, Alaska, the Americas, and Africa.