OCEAN - Waiter
WORKING WITH VIKING
As a Viking Shipboard Team Member, you represent Viking’s values and our Service Standard, STAR Service. You are a hospitality professional with a passion for excellence. Viking will empower you with the skills, knowledge and tools to succeed in your role onboard. At Viking, we are committed to each other and our Guests through a shared set of values. We strive to be the best, we always impress our Guests and we care for each other as a family. By working for Viking, you embody our world-class service culture and become a valued part of our Viking Family.
PURPOSE OF POSITION
- The Waiter ensures efficient food and beverage (F&B) operations and maintains high productivity, quality, and guest-service standards in accordance with Viking’s STAR Service Standards.
- It is your responsibility to create a friendly, guest-orientated service culture to ensure Guest satisfaction.
- Manage, control and organize the assigned service station, while supervising 2 to 4 Assistant Waiters and/or Café attendants; manage, control & organize room service orders and dispatch, when instructed.
- Manage restaurant reservations and seating requirements, when instructed.
- Conduct stock takes and inventory, according to company procedures, as required.
- Learn and use appropriate food and wine terminology & pronunciation, to enhance the Guest's dining experience; become familiar with menu descriptions and wine lists, in order to discuss items appropriately with guests.
- Have full knowledge of Vikings F&B options & ships activities; present F&B menus to Guests, suggest dinner courses, appropriate wines and answer questions regarding menu and wine selections.
- Relay orders to the Galley, using the MXP Ordering Software; serve courses from the Galley and beverages from various locations, following safe Company Alcohol Serving Policies.
- Serve food and beverages efficiently and in a courteous manner, according to company standards and procedures.
- Prepare and perform F&B activities (i.e. cocktail parties and Tea Time) and special events, as assigned.
- Keep & store any assigned inventory stock, in accordance with set par-levels, following Safety and Sanitation Rules and Regulations.
- Ensure assigned areas are set up in accordance with the direction from the relevant Supervisors and Viking’s Operations Manuals and Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs).
- Minimize equipment loss/damage, and maintain immaculate cleanliness standards in relevant areas, by applying safe working policies and procedures, according to all Public Health Policies, and ensuring that all equipment is sanitized and returned accordingly, after each use; clean & polish equipment, glassware and flatware.
- Ensure mise-en-place for all areas of responsibility are prepared 15 minutes prior to service.
- Partake in embarkation duty, as directed, including but not limited to luggage assistance, escorting Guests and any other related duties; participate in storing, as assigned or directed.
- Participate in “The Daily Reunion” every day to understand your team’s operational needs and to ensure consistent adherence to Viking’s STAR Service Standards.
- Provide the highest level of comfort and sales-oriented service to Guests and consistently maintain an impeccable standard of cleanliness and hygiene in assigned areas, as per Viking’s STAR Service Standards and all Public Health Policies; proactively prepare service according to Guest flow, embarkation & disembarkation, sea day activities & other activities.
- Ensure that Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) is worn at all times during relevant activities, such as during the loading and handling and storage of chemicals. Always use correct lifting techniques to prevent injuries; uphold impeccable grooming standards at all times by complying with Viking’s Image and Uniform Standards.
- Ensure that company property is appropriately secured and protected, especially during rough weather conditions, in order to prevent unnecessary loss or damage.
- Demonstrates outstanding flexibility: able to work at different times of the day, under pressure and reflect a positive can-do attitude and the best image of Viking at all times.
- Become knowledgeable about itinerary-related ports of call, shore excursions and shipboard activities such as events, entertainment and programs.
- Have full knowledge about safety & security procedures and can operate in line with all Public Health, Environmental and Safety & Security Policies; participate in all training concerning onboard training, safety & security, fire prevention, evacuation exercises as required by the company.
- Take ownership of the assigned areas of responsibilities in any F&B outlet, according to direction from the relevant Supervisor; assist in other departments and/or perform additional duties, as necessary.
This document describes the primary activities, duties and responsibilities of this position. Your manager or supervisor may assign additional duties and responsibilities to you.
- A required minimum of 2 years plus experience as an Assistant Waiter or similar position, within a 5 Star hospitality and/or restaurant environment; must have basic F&B knowledge; must demonstrate the ability to work independently; shipboard experience is an advantage.
- Must be a minimum age of twenty-one (21) years old; physically fit and in good health; must be able to carry heavy items and stand, kneel and bend for prolonged periods of time.
- Fluent in English - must have excellent English communication skills to clearly communicate to the Restaurant Team and Guests - the ability to speak additional languages is an advantage.
- Flexible, stress resistant, committed team player and exceptional work ethic is required.
- Guest-focused, service-oriented, positive personality, professional appearance and impeccable hygiene standards, with excellent knowledge of all Public Health Policies are required.
GUIDELINES AND REGULATIONS
- Implement Standard Operating Procedures & STAR Service Standards within the department.
- Ensure appropriate appearance and clothing according to the updated Grooming Standards.
- The company reserves the right to change/extend this job description if necessary, at any point of time during her/his employment.
Supervisor: Restaurant Manager, Restaurant Supervisor, Head Waiter
Gives instructions to: Assistant Waiter, Café Attendant, Crew Mess Attendant, if applicable
Receives instructions from: Hotel General Manager, Executive Chef, Restaurant Manager, Head Sommelier, Head Waiter, Restaurant Supervisor
Good knowledge of the English language is required.
JOIN OUR FAMILY
As the World’s Leading River Cruise Line® and the #1 Ocean Cruise Line, we are constantly innovating our business and growing our fleet. With more than 64 river ships and 6 ocean vessels cruising across 6 continents, we are the largest, most award-winning company in the industry. There is tremendous opportunity to join our dynamically growing company — whether on board our ships or in our corporate offices.
Viking Cruises was founded in Russia in 1997. The company established headquarters in Los Angeles, California in 2000 and through rapid expansion has enjoyed double-digit growth in recent years. With operational headquarters in Basel, Switzerland, Viking provides travel experiences for guests with an interest in geography, culture and history.
The award-winning Viking Longships offer a variety of stateroom categories and true two-room suites with full-size verandas. Onboard amenities include a restaurant, bar & lounge, library and expansive sun deck. River cruises range from 8 to 23 days, with itineraries featuring Europe’s Rhine, Main, Danube, Seine, Rhône, Douro, Moselle, Elbe, Dordogne, Garonne and Gironde Rivers; Russia’s Volga, Neva and Svir; Ukraine’s Dnieper; Egypt’s Nile; China’s Yangtze; and Southeast Asia’s Mekong.
In 2015, Viking introduced its first ocean ship with the christening of the 930-guest all-veranda Viking Star. One year later, Viking launched its second ocean ship, Viking Sea, which was joined by sister ships Viking Sky and Viking Sun in 2017 and by Viking Orion in 2018. The fleet welcomes Viking Jupiter in 2019. Four more yet-to-be-named ships are scheduled to launch by 2023. Ocean itineraries are designed to maximize the amount of time travelers spend in their destination. These enriching itineraries include base and combination cruises sailing to Scandinavia and Northern Europe, the Mediterranean, the Caribbean, Australia and New Zealand, Asia, Alaska, the Americas, and Africa.