WHO WE ARE
Viking has grown to be The World’s Leading River Cruise Line, with double-digit growth in recent years. With the launch of its ocean fleet in 2015, the company has also become the leader in small ship ocean cruising. With operational headquarters in Basel, Switzerland, Viking provides destination-focused itineraries designed for experienced travelers who have an interest in geography, culture and history. Each journey includes a shore excursion in every port, and an exclusive Viking Culture Curriculum program that provides deep immersion in the destination through performances of music and art, cooking demonstrations, informative port talks and carefully selected guest lecturers.
Viking currently operates a fleet of more than 80 vessels, state-of-the-art ships that have received numerous accolades since their launch from industry experts and travelers alike. Viking was voted the #1 River Cruise Line by Condé Nast Traveler in their 2018 Readers’ Choice Awards, and for the third year in a row, has been named the #1 Ocean Cruise Line* by Travel + Leisure readers in the World’s Best Awards 2018.
PURPOSE OF POSITION
Viking Expedition is a new leg of Viking Cruises to deliver expedition cruises in destinations previously not operated by Viking Cruises. The Specialist is a senior and role onboard Viking’s expedition vessels and a key member in the delivery of Viking’s Enrichment Program by delivering presentations, workshops and guiding interpretative walks and hikes on shore or by mingling in guest areas onboard, encouraging and facilitating an environment of informal education
The specialist will be part of a world class team of expedition staff members
- Strong leader, team player and an inspiration to others
- Ability to structure complex tasks
- Fantastic communication skills
- Knowledgeable about expedition operations
- Works well under pressure
- Smart, presentable, friendly and excellent people skills
- Good computer & Microsoft Office experience (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, etc)
- English speaking and writing to a high standard
- Prepare and conduct formal enrichment lectures, “Ted-x style” talks and informal workshops
- Lead walks, hikes or drive zodiacs as per instructed by the Assistant Expedition Leader
- During off-ship activities, act as an interpretative guide, engaging guests and enhancing their experience
- Socialize and be visible in guest areas as often as possible
- When assigned, write a short blurb reflecting the day’s experiences for marketing or other purposes
- Assist with embarkation and disembarkation duties as necessary
- Assist in any other general duties assigned by the Expedition Admin Team
- Be a role model by leading by example.
Mindset and Values
- Be well groomed and of professional personality and focused on delivering 100% satisfaction
- Enthusiastic and proactive, loves to share his/her knowledge
Communication & Coordination
Report to the Expedition Program Coordinator
- Previous experience in similar role or demonstrated experience in the Expedition Cruise Industry or relevant experience lecturing
- Good administration & organization
- Proactive problem solving
- Teamwork and good communication
- Well organized, efficient and positive
- Understand guest needs
- Time management
- Proactive in upholding Viking standards of excellence
- Marine Radio Operator’s license or equivalent
- Small boat license (RYA Powerboat level 2 or equivalent) – advantage
Guidelines and Regulations
- Implement Standard Operating Procedures & STAR Service Standards within the department.
- Ensure appropriate appearance and clothing according to the updated Grooming Standards.
- For work in Polar Regions: have passed the appropriate and most recent field staff online assessment of IAATO/AECO.
- The company reserves the right to change/extend this job description if necessary, at any point of time during her/his employment.
Good knowledge of the English language is required.
JOIN OUR FAMILY
As the World’s Leading River Cruise Line® and the #1 Ocean Cruise Line, we are constantly innovating our business and growing our fleet. With more than 64 river ships and 6 ocean vessels cruising across 6 continents, we are the largest, most award-winning company in the industry. There is tremendous opportunity to join our dynamically growing company — whether on board our ships or in our corporate offices.
Viking Cruises was founded in Russia in 1997. The company established headquarters in Los Angeles, California in 2000 and through rapid expansion has enjoyed double-digit growth in recent years. With operational headquarters in Basel, Switzerland, Viking provides travel experiences for guests with an interest in geography, culture and history.
The award-winning Viking Longships offer a variety of stateroom categories and true two-room suites with full-size verandas. Onboard amenities include a restaurant, bar & lounge, library and expansive sun deck. River cruises range from 8 to 23 days, with itineraries featuring Europe’s Rhine, Main, Danube, Seine, Rhône, Douro, Moselle, Elbe, Dordogne, Garonne and Gironde Rivers; Russia’s Volga, Neva and Svir; Ukraine’s Dnieper; Egypt’s Nile; China’s Yangtze; and Southeast Asia’s Mekong.
In 2015, Viking introduced its first ocean ship with the christening of the 930-guest all-veranda Viking Star. One year later, Viking launched its second ocean ship, Viking Sea, which was joined by sister ships Viking Sky and Viking Sun in 2017 and by Viking Orion in 2018. The fleet welcomes Viking Jupiter in 2019. Four more yet-to-be-named ships are scheduled to launch by 2023. Ocean itineraries are designed to maximize the amount of time travelers spend in their destination. These enriching itineraries include base and combination cruises sailing to Scandinavia and Northern Europe, the Mediterranean, the Caribbean, Australia and New Zealand, Asia, Alaska, the Americas, and Africa.