RIVER - Captain Multipurpose Vessel
CAPTAIN - MULTIPURPOSE VESSEL
We are looking for an experienced captain to take charge of our modern multi-purpose vessel Viking Orvar. For this position you should have strong understanding of technical systems of the ships and be able to ensure it’s safe navigation on the Rhine, Danube, Main and Moselle. You would also be responsible for the berth infrastructure on those rivers. Your task would be to travel on those rivers independently, maintaining, assembling, and dismantling the berths, using the corresponding equipment.
PURPOSE OF THE JOB
- Management of the modern multi-purpose working vessel
- Supervision of a motivated onboard team
- Collaboration and communication with Infrastructure Operations River
- Training of the crew
- Willingness and technical understanding to carry out the onboard servicing and maintenance work
- Taking responsibility for the safety of the onboard crew and the vessel
- Cost-conscious use of all consumables (fuel, water etc.)
- fe navigation of the ship in compliance with all statutory regulations
- Administrative processes and timely submission of all reports
WHAT WE EXPECT FROM YOU:
- Proven training and experience in a similar position
- Rhine Patent: Basel to the open sea
- Danube Patent: Kehlheim to Passau
- Additionally, qualifications to sail on the Moselle and the Main
- Basic certificate in welding
- Operation of work equipment (lift table Ponton HUB 1)
- Ability to handle stressful situations and stay calm when facing stress or pressure
- Safe navigation of the ship with compliance of all regulations
- In case of high or low water, damage and technical problems the Captain and the Program Director must take ownership and inform the guests accordingly
- Train and motivate employees. Ensure Viking’s grooming standards are followed at all times
- Train new 1st Officers and 2nd Officers with patent
- Conduct frequently scheduled ship inspections
- Organization of dumpsters and drinking water
- Regular checks of mooring lines’ and wires’ condition on a monthly basis
- Participation in meetings and company relevant trainings
- Good contact with the authorities, WSP, port authorities, etc.
- Act as a brand ambassador on behalf of Viking: social obligations towards our guests (presence in public areas, welcome cocktail, Captain's dinner)
- Attend Cruise Start Meeting with Hotel Manager and Program Director before every cruise, communicate expected changes accordingly and immediately
- Ensure safe ship operation even in difficult weather / water level conditions
- Cost-conscious use of all energy resources (fuel, lubricants, etc.)
- Compliance with timetables and lock times to avoid incidents
- Check whether the necessary patents for the driven route are present on board
- Check if the nautical crew’s service books contain the necessary qualifications for the operating form A1, A2, or B
- Daily update of the crew scheduling
- Check and update certificates, credentials, and approvals
- Responsible for the administrative process and timely submission of all reports
- Exchange information with the involved departments (Management, Operations, technical department)
- Attend nautical meetings (also remotely and during the season on a higher frequency)
WE OFFER YOU
- Unlimited contract with a time for time or 4/2 system
- Salary payments and social security benefits in accordance with Swiss conditions
Good knowledge of the English language is required.
JOIN OUR FAMILY
As the World’s Leading River Cruise Line® and the #1 Ocean Cruise Line, we are constantly innovating our business and growing our fleet. With more than 64 river ships and 6 ocean vessels cruising across 6 continents, we are the largest, most award-winning company in the industry. There is tremendous opportunity to join our dynamically growing company — whether on board our ships or in our corporate offices.
Viking Cruises was founded in Russia in 1997. The company established headquarters in Los Angeles, California in 2000 and through rapid expansion has enjoyed double-digit growth in recent years. With operational headquarters in Basel, Switzerland, Viking provides travel experiences for guests with an interest in geography, culture and history.
The award-winning Viking Longships offer a variety of stateroom categories and true two-room suites with full-size verandas. Onboard amenities include a restaurant, bar & lounge, library and expansive sun deck. River cruises range from 8 to 23 days, with itineraries featuring Europe’s Rhine, Main, Danube, Seine, Rhône, Douro, Moselle, Elbe, Dordogne, Garonne and Gironde Rivers; Russia’s Volga, Neva and Svir; Ukraine’s Dnieper; Egypt’s Nile; China’s Yangtze; and Southeast Asia’s Mekong.
In 2015, Viking introduced its first ocean ship with the christening of the 930-guest all-veranda Viking Star. One year later, Viking launched its second ocean ship, Viking Sea, which was joined by sister ships Viking Sky and Viking Sun in 2017 and by Viking Orion in 2018. The fleet welcomes Viking Jupiter in 2019. Four more yet-to-be-named ships are scheduled to launch by 2023. Ocean itineraries are designed to maximize the amount of time travelers spend in their destination. These enriching itineraries include base and combination cruises sailing to Scandinavia and Northern Europe, the Mediterranean, the Caribbean, Australia and New Zealand, Asia, Alaska, the Americas, and Africa.