MISSISSIPPI - Executive Housekeeper
In August 2022, Viking will expand its destination-focused travel experiences with the launch of Mississippi River cruises. Its first 386-guests custom vessel, Viking Mississippi, will sail voyages on the Lower and Upper Mississippi, ranging from 8 – 15 days, between New Orleans and St. Paul. Viking’s arrival will bring modern river cruising to the Mississippi and will represent a major commitment to tourism and economic development in many communities along the river. The new state-of-the-art Viking Mississippi is inspired by Viking’s award-winning river and ocean ships and will feature clean Scandinavian design, as well as public spaces that are familiar to guests but that have been reimagined for Mississippi River voyages. Purpose-built for the Mississippi and currently under construction in Louisiana, the five-deck ship’s cutting-edge design, expansive windows and comfortable amenities will make it the largest and most modern cruise ship in the region.
A VIKING LEADERSHIP ROLE
As a Viking Shipboard Leader, you represent Viking’s values and leadership philosophy (Hávamál). You are a hospitality professional who demonstrates passion for excellence, who takes ownership for your areas of responsibility, and who believes in empowering your team with the skills, knowledge, and tools to succeed. You are an exceptional role model for the Viking Family and have strong motivation to achieve the company’s goals and objectives. You are flexible, stress-resistant, focused, and a truly committed team member.
PURPOSE OF POSITION
- The Executive Housekeeper oversees a variety of housekeeping functions to ensure the smooth running of the daily operation of the Housekeeping and Laundry Departments, which consists of approximately90 – 100 Officers and Crew.
- The Housekeeping Department is responsible for the cleanliness of Guest staterooms & officers’ cabins,the presentation of the ship, its public areas & back of house, and the maintenance upkeep of these areas. The Laundry Department is responsible for the provision of clean linen to the various areas onboard i.e. Guest Staterooms, food & beverage and various public areas. It is also responsible for managing the cleaning services for employee uniforms, Guest laundry and dry-cleaning.
- Regularly inspect housekeeping areas and the main laundry facility to ensure a clean and safe workplace and safe luggage operation with emphasis on employee health and fire/chemical safety.
- Monitor the routine maintenance of staterooms, public areas, crew areas and laundry facilities.
- Monitor data such as Guest ratings to identify opportunities to improve service and Guest satisfaction.
- Facilitate department meetings & participate in various meetings, & shipboard inspections as required;oversee inventory control and approve purchase orders and requisitions.
- Lead and support a multi-cultural team, maximizing crew satisfaction, productivity and retention.
- Meet with Team Leaders on a daily basis for “The Daily Reunion”, to provide feedback & operational updates as well as to ensure that your department is performing to Viking’s STAR Service Standards.
- Provide the highest level of comfort and service to Guests and consistently maintain an impeccable standard of cleanliness and hygiene in all areas, as per Viking’s STAR Service Standards and all Public
- Health Policies; manage service according to Guest flow, embarkation & disembarkation, sea day activities & other activities.
- Provide competent leadership to all direct reports. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to: Conducting performance reviews, including discipline as needed, succession planning, crew communication and recognition.
- Ensure you always wear the appropriate and task-specific Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) as required for your duties onboard. Always use correct lifting techniques to prevent injuries.
- Always uphold impeccable grooming standards within your team by complying with Viking’s Image and uniform Standards.
- Ensure that company property is appropriately secured and protected, especially during rough weather conditions, in order to prevent unnecessary loss or damage.
- Ensure that all Human Resources related issues are handled properly and fairly, in line with Viking’s
- Policies, Procedures and Code of Conduct.
- Demonstrates outstanding flexibility: able to work at different times of the day, under pressure and always reflect a positive can-do attitude and the best image of Viking.
- Become knowledgeable and ensure your team are knowledgeable about itinerary-related ports of call, shore excursions and shipboard activities such as events, entertainment, and programs.
- Positively contribute to achieving/succeeding Housekeeping & Laundry KPI goals (quality & financial).
- Have full knowledge about safety & security procedures and can operate in line with all Public Health, Environmental and Safety & Security Policies; participate in all training concerning onboard training,safety & security, fire prevention, evacuation exercises as required by the company.
- This document describes the primary activities, duties and responsibilities of this position. Your manager or supervisor may assign additional duties and responsibilities to you.
- A required minimum of 5 years plus experience as an Executive Housekeeper, within a 5 Star hospitality environment, and experience with ship operations of 500+ staterooms required; must have experience leading a multi-cultural team.
- Fluent in English - must be able to address any kind of information in an adequate manner with excellent oral English communication skills – the ability to speak an additional language is an advantage.
- Guest-focused, service-oriented, positive personality, professional appearance and impeccable hygiene standards are required; team builder with exceptional motivational skills and coaching ability is required; must be flexible and stress-resistant, team player shows commitment.
- Outstanding partnering, networking and relationship skills are required, must have the ability to understand the needs of front-line leaders.
- Must be proficient with PC-based databases, spreadsheets, and word processing systems.
- Must have excellent knowledge of all Public Health Policies.
- Dry-dock or new build ship experience is preferred.
MANDATORY REQUIREMENTS & AT-WILL EMPLOYMENT:
- Ability to provide proof of eligibility to work in the United States
- Ability to work as necessary in order to complete all assigned tasks and fulfill responsibilities in your assigned role.
- Ability to meet moderate physical demands, including lifting, bending, climbing, and long periods of standing or walking
- Ability to satisfactorily pass a pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for Marijuana and other controlled substances. We are a Drug-Free Workplace.
- Viking Cruises is an At-Will Employer. As such your, employment with Viking is a voluntary one and is subject to termination with or without cause or notice, at any time by you or Viking. Nothing in this document or in any oral or written statement shall be interpreted to conflict with or limit the right to terminate employment at will.
GUIDELINES AND REGULATIONS
- Implement Standard Operating Procedures & STAR Service Standards within the department.
- Ensure appropriate appearance and clothing according to the updated Grooming Standards.
- The company reserves the right to change/extend this job description if necessary, at any point of time during her/his employment
Position: Executive Housekeeper
Supervisor: Hotel Manager, Corporate Team
Direct reports: Assistant Housekeeper
Line Manager: Hotel Manager
Viking is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity, and sexual orientation), national origin, age, disability, or genetic information.
Good knowledge of the English language is required.
JOIN OUR FAMILY
As the World’s Leading River Cruise Line® and the #1 Ocean Cruise Line, we are constantly innovating our business and growing our fleet. With more than 64 river ships and 6 ocean vessels cruising across 6 continents, we are the largest, most award-winning company in the industry. There is tremendous opportunity to join our dynamically growing company — whether on board our ships or in our corporate offices.
Viking Cruises was founded in Russia in 1997. The company established headquarters in Los Angeles, California in 2000 and through rapid expansion has enjoyed double-digit growth in recent years. With operational headquarters in Basel, Switzerland, Viking provides travel experiences for guests with an interest in geography, culture and history.
The award-winning Viking Longships offer a variety of stateroom categories and true two-room suites with full-size verandas. Onboard amenities include a restaurant, bar & lounge, library and expansive sun deck. River cruises range from 8 to 23 days, with itineraries featuring Europe’s Rhine, Main, Danube, Seine, Rhône, Douro, Moselle, Elbe, Dordogne, Garonne and Gironde Rivers; Russia’s Volga, Neva and Svir; Ukraine’s Dnieper; Egypt’s Nile; China’s Yangtze; and Southeast Asia’s Mekong.
In 2015, Viking introduced its first ocean ship with the christening of the 930-guest all-veranda Viking Star. One year later, Viking launched its second ocean ship, Viking Sea, which was joined by sister ships Viking Sky and Viking Sun in 2017 and by Viking Orion in 2018. The fleet welcomes Viking Jupiter in 2019. Four more yet-to-be-named ships are scheduled to launch by 2023. Ocean itineraries are designed to maximize the amount of time travelers spend in their destination. These enriching itineraries include base and combination cruises sailing to Scandinavia and Northern Europe, the Mediterranean, the Caribbean, Australia and New Zealand, Asia, Alaska, the Americas, and Africa.