Front Desk Manager
- Holland America Line
- Guest Services Jobs
- Guest Services Manager
- May 19, 2023
Department: Guest Svc
Employment Type: Fixed Term Contract
Reporting To: Guest Services Manager
This is an Assistant Department Head role that requires previous work experience in cruise ship guest services management. Only those who meet this requirement should apply.
The Front Desk Manager (FDM) function will be staffed on the larger vessels (vista class and up).
The FDM is directly responsible for all guest facing operations at Guest Services. Although reporting to the GSM, the FDM is the single owner and responsible operator of the Guest Services operation. The FDM is ultimately accountable for the success of Guest Services and its staff. This is a senior position in Guest Services and as such the FDM will regularly brief the GSM on key matters yet the FDM has total control and accountability.
The FDM is supervising the Front Desk Supervisor and Neptune Lounge Concierge and their staff by monitoring and ensuring guests are receiving personalized, individual and professional service at all times and daily duties are completed in accordance with the company brand procedures.
The FDM will also attend hotel operations meetings and social functions as directed. The FDM will spend a significant amount of time with the GSM learning the responsibilities of the GSM function and is expected to step in for the GSM when circumstances dictate which may include transferring to another vessel when unexpected GSM vacancies occur.
- Ensure response is given to all guest requests, concerns and issues without delay and in a professional manner.
- Provide premium guest service by handling all communications, verbal or written, in accordance with the set standards.
- Assist with and support the delivery of the elements of the Global Guest Program as specified and as they apply to guest relations.
- Log and maintain accurate records of all guest inquiries, concerns and requests through AIMS and in accordance with set procedures. Keep the GSM promptly and consistently informed of situations that require the attention of various onboard departments, heads of department or corporate.
- Handle compensation issues within guidelines, ensuring optimum balance and adequacy between the severity and nature of the issue and the related offering in each instance. Maintain a constant awareness of subordinate’s actions in that regard, review as necessary and report to the GSM.
- Directly responsible for the Neptune Lounge operations through the Neptune Lounge Concierge.
- Ensure that all aspects of the Neptune Lounge and Neptune Lounge service are in accordance with the Company’s Brand Procedures and Standards.
- Supervise and assume responsibility for all daily operations of Guest Services.
- Participate in any official representation duties as directed by the GSM.
- Promote various services and programs as appropriate to generate revenue.
- Perform administrative and record-keeping tasks associated with the FDM duties as well as assist with specific GSM tasks as directed.
- Accountable for ensuring cash handling by staff is in compliance with the established policies and accounting procedures.
- Provide Guest Service Training during daily and weekly meetings.
- Maintain accurate documentation of each direct report’s performance; hold performance conversations focusing on achievements, progress, development, and opportunities for improvement.
- Maintaining a work environment that fosters the coaching, mentoring and development of subordinate staff in consensus with the GSM.
- Reporting to and supporting the GSM on issues that may affect staff retention and acting swiftly in concert to avoid preventable turnover.
- Oversee the mentoring and learning path program of assigned subordinates/new joiners.
- Ensure proper on the job training is provided to strengthen subordinates’ current performance and prepare them for future advancement. Provide coaching and motivation to the staff to foster tenure.
- Handle all medical disembarkations/emergencies under the supervision of the GSM.
- Champions the use of the Navigator App experience tools to drive greater onboard revenue and guest satisfaction performance.
- Lead by example in matters of professionalism, ethics, responsibility, integrity, ownership, engagement, and personal presentation.
- Maintain effective and productive working relationships with staff, peers, managers, and officers.
- Setting the tone and driving a culture of hospitality, respect, courtesy and total service mindedness in all guest encounters.
- Ensuring requests are efficiently handled and attended to in a courteous manner and, when situations arise and it is required, guests are provided with answers, alternatives and solutions to issues presented.
- Acting as a liaison between the GSM, guests, subordinate staff and the onboard departments to liaise with corporate departments on specific issues.
- Supervising, under the direction of the GSM, the Front Desk Supervisor and Neptune Lounge Concierge and their staff by monitoring and ensuring completion of their daily duties in accordance with company brand procedures.
- Monitoring compliance with all Brand Procedures, Operational Procedures, Marine Hotel Regulations and Directives as they apply to the department.
- Complying with safety and environmental regulations as they apply to the position. Follow and adhere to all health and safety procedures, training and requirements.
- Adhering to and complying with all official regulations issued by local authorities.
- Comply with company policy regarding waste separation and environmental compliance.
- Conduct regular training with all departmental team members on food waste separation and environmental compliance as per Global HESS policies.
Skills, Knowledge & Expertise
- Bachelor’s Degree
- College or University degree or equivalent experience in hospitality management, business administration or a related field. International equivalent suffices.
- Marlins Score 95 or above. Multi-lingual ability preferred. A valid STCW certificate.
- Minimum 2-year supervisory experience within a Front Office/Hospitality Environment. Minimum 1-year shipboard experience.
- The ability to work effectively and constructively across the organization both shipboard and corporate. The ability to lead and motivate staff. The ability to be flexible, decisive, and quick thinking. The ability to handle constantly changing priorities. A genuine interest in working with and helping guests, the ability to handle complaints and deal with difficult situations. Must possess strong leadership and TEAM leadership skills. Must possess strong organizational, multi-tasking and presentation skills. Able to write and produce operational documentation.
- Good working knowledge of computers, internet access, and the ability to navigate within a variety of software programs and internal onboard system/programs.
Physical & Travel Requirements
- Must be 18 years of age or older.
- Must be able to work varied shifts which can average up to 11 hours per day, every day while on board.
- Must be able to perform normal and assigned emergency duties. Must be able to don a lifejacket or immersion suit; crawl; feel for differences in temperatures; handle fire-fighting equipment; and wear breathing apparatus (where required as part of duties).
- Must be physically able to participate in emergency lifesaving procedures and drills. All vessel positions require full use and range of arms and legs as well as full visual, verbal and hearing abilities to receive and give instructions in the event of an emergency including the lowering of lifeboats.
- Must be able to maintain qualification of the Seafarer Medical Examination and pass the basic safety course.
- While performing the essential functions of this job, all team members are required to stand; walk long distances on the ship; use hands to touch, handle or feel; reach with hands and arms; talk, hear, taste and smell. All vessel positions require repetitive motion of bending, climbing, going up and down stairs and lifting more than 25 pounds.
- Must be able to work within different temperature ranges and changes— e.g., indoors to outdoors, hot climate, etc.
- Passport – valid for a minimum of 6 months beyond a working assignment.
- Seafarer Medical Examination to declare fit for duty onboard ships. Must be able to acquire a United States C1D Visa, if required.
- Must be able to acquire a European Union Schengen Visa, if required.
You will need valid STCW certificates to apply for this position. Find an STCW course near you.
Holland America Line
Holland America Line has been operating for more than 140 years and we are a recognized leader in the cruise industry, operating a fleet of premium mid-sized ships. We believe travel has the power to change the world and we take pride in playing our part in opening minds, building connections, and inspiring a shared humanity. Our fleet of 14 ships visits all seven continents and annually offers more than 500 cruises to more than 400 ports of call in close to 100 countries. Holland America Line crew members are the heart of the operation and work enthusiastically to ensure that each guest has a memorable vacation.
Share this page: