Learning Development Mgr
Department: Human Resources
Employment Type: Fixed Term Contract
Reporting To: Human Resources Manager
The Learning & Development Manager works in close collaboration with HR Manager and onboard Leadership Team and is responsible for ensuring effective implementation and management of onboard learning programs and initiatives.
Builds strong partnerships across all departments to address existing and future learning needs and acts as a coach to develop and enhance individual facilitation skills.
Effectively delivers all L&D learning programs creating an optimal learning experience for all teammates in support of fostering an exceptional guest experience.
Supports teammate’s development and Company career development and progression initiatives through learning.
Champions the Culture transformation efforts and serves as a learning resource to onboard leadership and teammates in line with Holland America Line Service Credo, Core Values, brand strategy and Culture Essential behaviors through the DEI lens.
- Oversees onboard learning ensuring all training programs and initiatives are effectively implemented and delivered as per company guidance. Serves as a learning resource and provides learning guidance to all levels of onboard organization. Utilizes L&D expertise and knowledge of adult learning principles to support all who deliver training onboard to develop and enhance their facilitation skills and to ensure their training is effective and meets the learning needs of the audience.
- Implements learning tools and activities that promote Company Culture transformation efforts and initiatives.
- Effectively implements and manages all Learning & Development owned learning programs and initiatives through advance planning, onboard communication, facilitation and ongoing administration. Follows guidance outlined in program documentation to ensure creation of a consistent learning experience.
- Diligently monitors and ensures compliance of regulatory, corporate and other training programs requirements for all eLearning courses and the Instructor-led sessions supported and delivered by the Human Resources Department. Proctors onboard exams, as directed, ensuring all necessary procedures are followed and confidentiality maintained. Acts as a primary administrator of the onboard Learning Management System, ensuring thorough training record keeping and accurate and prompt reporting.
- Maintains presence and engages in regular communication with onboard leadership and teammates. Develops business acumen and demonstrates understating of Company strategies and business goals, including thorough knowledge of the organization and departmental operations.
- Works with onboard Leadership Team to understand business and operational needs and to develop ship-wide and departmental learning strategies. Seeks innovative solutions and pro- actively identifies future learning needs and opportunities. Regularly engages with shoreside L&D to explore fleet-wide implementation opportunities and future learning and development strategies.
- Evaluates learning programs effectiveness and promptly voices concerns, addresses issues and provides feedback and ideas for improvement to assist in enhancing program design.
- Oversees and actively promotes all onboard learning resources. Maintains and manages training equipment, facilities and materials. Manages scheduling of training facilities and communicates operationally-appropriate training calendar, in coordination with other trainers and operational partners.
- Supports supervisory and leadership development through actively promoting and facilitating Management Essentials Program, including facilitation of Management Essentials workshops. Collaborates with onboard leadership to develop teammates and leaders and provides support and coaching outside of the classroom to ensure successful learning transfer.
- Provides training, guidance and support for the onboard Performance Partnership process. Serves as a performance management learning resource to leaders and teammates alike, including development of SMART objectives.
- Partners with onboard leadership in the development of teammates and provides support on succession planning efforts including internal transfer and cross-training opportunities as identified by Company initiatives and onboard leadership.
- Works with onboard leadership and HR Manager to identify departmental and individual teammate’s performance challenges and areas for improvement. Observes teammates performance and discuss observations and learning opportunities with HR Manager, Supervisors/Head of Department as appropriate.
- Designs, implements and evaluates learning support to address identified opportunities and needs through learning solutions aligned with organizational and departmental goals and following established learning guidance and standards. Supports accountability of performance and empowers learners through follow-up and coaching.
- Prepares for effective facilitation of a learning experience through thorough knowledge of the learning materials, practice and advance preparations. Develops strategies to address the unique needs of the target audience through prior research and data gathering, and by adapting learning activities to best fit the audience and their learning needs.
- Creates positive and inclusive learning environment. Encourages participation from all learners and acknowledges learners contributions. Encourages feedback, questions, comments and differing point of views and models conflict resolution techniques as needed.
- Engages learners through facilitation with effective questions, storytelling and other dynamic techniques. Presents information and concepts clearly demonstrating expertise and understanding. Creates a learner-focused environment when sharing information and makes content relevant to learners through the use of participant’s previous experiences and knowledge.
- Provides participants with feedback and coaching as they practice skills and behaviors and develops learning transfer strategies to take learning beyond the classroom.
- Conducts courses as described in facilitator’s guides and provides constructive feedback to assist in enhancing course design based on expertise developed through delivery.
Human Resources Support
- Maintains awareness and focus on teammate’s wellbeing. Provides guidance on available Company resources and voices any concerns to HR Manager and onboard leadership, as appropriate.
- Collaborates with HR Manager and supports Human Resources services onboard, including teammate’s onboarding operations, as directed.
- Participates in and supports teammate engagement programs and welfare activities, as needed.
- Delivers basic and essential Human Resources functions in the absence of HR Manager, as outlined in relevant operating procedures.
- Effectively engages and performs any other special projects/duties as assigned, including guest facing activities, as needed.
Safety and Compliance
- Complies with fleet regulations and other applicable internal, external, and governmental regulations at all times.
- Always works in compliance with Maritime Labor Convention (MLC) 2006 guidelines.
- Always works in accordance with occupational safe working practices.
- Complies with all Environmental Polices and follows HESS-MS regulations and guidance to ensure creation of safe and secure working environment.
- HESS regulations and guidance to ensure creation of safe and secure working environment.
- Performs General Emergency Organization duties as directed in the Emergency Response Plan.
- Always demonstrates commitment to the Company’s values, beliefs, goals, and initiatives. Consistently upholds our Core Values and Culture Essentials behaviors
- Promotes a culture of safety, compliance, transparency, care and trust through the lens of diversity, equity and inclusion. Serves as a role model.
- Acts as a Company representative and always portrays a positive image of Holland America Line to all guests and fellow teammates onboard and ashore
- Always maintains professional, effective, and motivated working relationships across all functions. Deals with feedback positively and strives for continuous improvement.
- Promotes a harassment-free environment at all times.
- Maintains the confidentiality of sensitive information at all times.
Skills, Knowledge & Expertise
- Two to five years progressive Learning and Development experience, preferably within a premium hospitality service environment
- Prior experience in the cruise industry will be considered an asset.
- Bachelor’s Degree, or international equivalent, in Learning & Development, Human Resources, Education, Organizational Development or related field will have preference
- Relevant Learning & Development experience with added trainer certification may also be considered if the candidate demonstrates adequate knowledge and skills.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Exemplary presentation and facilitation skills. Ability to present/speak in front of groups and facilitate meetings, training programs and development discussions.
- Experience in delivering supervisory and leadership development content as well as in facilitation of culture transformation programs to a diverse audience through the lenses of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion.
- Working knowledge of Learning and Development concepts and practices, including Adult Learning Theory and ability to assess training needs and develop strategic plan accordingly.
- Understanding of the foundation of business partnership and proven ability to effectively work with and collaborate across all levels of the organization and across various cultures.
- Experience in performance management support, coaching and skills development.
- Ability to multi-task including flexibility to quickly respond to a dynamic 24/7 operation.
- Fluency reading, writing, and speaking English. Marlins score of 80 and above.
- Computer proficiency including expertise in all Microsoft Office products.
- Physical ability to navigate shipboard environment safely including participating in regulatory safety drills and required training.
- Effective communicator with outstanding people skills and a warm, friendly, and caring personality.
- Keen attention to details and strong administration skills.
- Ability and willingness to excel in delivering outstanding service to teammates and guests alike and demonstrated ability to adapt and adjust to a variety of circumstances.
- Excellent professional presence at all times, including social conduct, interactions with teammates and guests, and in all written communication.
- Unwavering commitment to Company Mission, Core Values, business ethics, integrity, and to maintaining appropriate confidentiality.
Physical & Travel Requirements
- Must be 18 years of age or older.
- Must be able to perform normal and assigned emergency duties.
- Must be able to work varied shifts which can average up to 12 hours per day, every day while on board.
- Must be able to climb vertical ladders, and stairways; step over high sills; and manipulate door closing systems.
- Must be able to work with arms raised; stand and walk for an extended period; and enter confined spaces.
- Must be able to don a lifejacket or immersion suit; crawl; feel for differences in temperatures; handle fire-fighting equipment; and wear breathing apparatus (where required as part of duties)
- Must be able to maintain qualification of the Seafarer Medical Examination and all statute and safety training as required for their function
Holland America Line
Holland America Line has been operating for more than 140 years and we are a recognized leader in the cruise industry, operating a fleet of premium mid-sized ships. We believe travel has the power to change the world and we take pride in playing our part in opening minds, building connections, and inspiring a shared humanity. Our fleet of 14 ships visits all seven continents and annually offers more than 500 cruises to more than 400 ports of call in close to 100 countries. Holland America Line crew members are the heart of the operation and work enthusiastically to ensure that each guest has a memorable vacation.