Asst Maitre D
Employment Type: Fixed Term Contract
Reporting To: Maitre D
Directs and supervises all food and beverage service functions in the Restaurant, Colonnade, Patio, Thomas Keller and Room Service as assigned by the Restaurant Manager. Responsible for the supervision, training and evaluation of Waiters and Utilities.
The Assistant Maître D plays an integral part in assisting with the smooth operation and taking ownership of the relevant stations they work in. Decisions on how to enhance the guest experience are an important responsibility on how the company achieves the goal of providing the guests with the ultimate travel experience. The Assistant Maître D ensures all their team members are aware of the vision and mission of Seabourn and encourage their teams to follow the guidelines set forth.
The Assistant Maître D directly reports to the Maître D’ Colonnade and supported by the Restaurant Manager.
Position has 49 professional level reports. 17 Senior Waiters, 26 Waiters and 6 Utilities.
- The maintenance up to USPH regulations of all dining outlet and pantries.
- To be familiarized with IPM program and attend training as directed.
- Training the team to the Seabourn service hospitality standards.
- Administrating the overtime within the team and within the budget.
- Preparing, communicating, and controlling a weekly: picture test, cleaning schedule and training schedule.
- Reports any malfunctioning equipment to the Restaurant Manager.
- Completing and communicating all side duties as assigned by the Restaurant Manager.
- Ensure and follow up of Name Recognition Program.
- To be familiar with and execute the Seabourn HESS-MS appropriate to their position.
- All dining venue set ups—all opening and closing duties of the dining outlet.
- The supervision of all dining room teams during service—the proper execution, support and coordination of the dining services in all dining outlets.
- The communication of the special orders, standing orders and dietary requirements.
- Possess a diploma from a recognized international hotel school or university or equivalent.
- A minimum of 2 years experience as Assistant Maître d’ Hotel or equal offshore with international clientele, or minimum of service of two years on board a 4/5-star ship
- Preferred requirement of 2 contracts as Senior Waiter for internal promotion.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Completion of course in basic Food & Beverage. Advanced/Intermediate Food & Hygiene. Strong ability for building interpersonal relationships with the guest (socializing skills).
Physical Demands & Travel
For the safety of yourself and others on board certain physical abilities shall be maintained. Must be able to bend, climb, perform repetitive motion, and repetitively heavy lift.
Must maintain physical fitness to perform tasks associated with job.
- Passport – valid for a minimum of 6 month
- Flag state issued seaman book
- General flag state or flag state approved marine fitness medical United States C1/D visa
- English Marlin test at minimal score of 80%
- Pre-employment medical examination
Working on a cruise ship is very different from any land-based occupation. Working hours are longer and work is more intense due to the constant demand of the guests. You have to be very flexible in your working hours, which on occasion might have to be changed due to unforeseen circumstances. The Maritime Labour Convention of 2006 however strictly regulates these. Apart from the working hours there are strict rules which all members of the ship’s company need to adhere to as stipulated by the Master’s standing orders. You work in close proximity with your fellow crewmembers and therefore respect among all is essential.
Seabourn Cruise Line
With Seabourn's world renowned reputation for excellence and luxury, it is only right that we recruit only the very best people to enjoy career opportunities working on one of our ships. Seabourn Cruise Line is an excellent place to begin your career at sea as well as further develop your career within this exciting industry. Seabourn provides an intuitive and gracious service which is delivered by staff that are passionate about maximising the guest experience onboard. We are seeking hospitality professionals to join the onboard family. Start your exciting new career at sea with one of our entry level positions in the hotel department onboard. For those already in Hotel Management we have exciting management positions in Food and Beverage, Galley, Guest Services and Human Resources departments.
If you feel you have the fine art of delight, genuine and heartfelt hospitality then please apply today!