RIVER - Nautic - Sailor
River - Nautic
Viking was founded in 1997 and has grown to be the leading small ship travel company, offering destination-focused river, ocean and expedition voyages on all seven continents. Designed for experienced travelers with interests in science, history, culture and cuisine, Chairman Torstein Hagen often says Viking offers guests The Thinking Person’s Cruise® in contrast to mainstream cruises.
With more than 250 awards to its name, the company currently operates a fleet of state-of-the-art ships that have received numerous accolades since their launch from industry experts and travelers alike. For the second year in a row, Viking was voted the #1 River Line and the #1 Ocean Line by Condé Nast Traveler in the publication’s 2022 Readers’ Choice Awards. Viking was also named #1 for both Rivers and Oceans by Travel + Leisure in the 2022 World’s Best Awards making it the only cruise line to reach the top of its categories in both publications in the same year.
Part of our nautical team on our River vessels, the Sailor is responsible for the impeccable cleanliness, hygiene and order onboard. The Sailor reports to the Captain and the First Officer when the Captain is off-duty.
WHAT YOU WILL DO ON BOARD
- Responsible for the external appearance of the ship and ensures that the sundeck meets the guests’ expectations at all times
- Executes all deck and outboard work
- Secures the ship in a professional way during mooring operations and in locks
- Safely deploys the gangway at the direction of the Captain / 1st Officer
- Assumes a special role during emergencies (Breathing Apparatus Operator)
WHY JOIN VIKING?
Elevate Your Career
Regardless of where you are on your career journey, Viking can help you in reaching new destinations with:
- Regular trainings
- On-the-job coaching to help you advance rapidly
- Seasonal contract with a 4/2, 4/4 or 3/3 rotation
On board our ship
- Uniforms, laundry and unlimited Wi-Fi are free of charge for all crew members
- Lodging and meals are provided to you by Viking onboard
- Cabin with 2 berths, you will have a roommate
- Travel to/from the ship reimbursement payment
- Dedicated crew area
- Sundeck area for crew use
- Paid vacation
- Referral program
- Loyalty bonuses
- Salary payments and social security benefits in accordance with Swiss conditions
- Sailor training in inland waterway transport
- In possession of a Schifferdienstbuch for inland navigation with relevant stamps
- At least 3 years’ experience inland waterway transport
- Language: English, additional language skills are an advantage
- Interested in further education (certificate extension, language skills)
- Independent and flexible
- Decisive and assertive
- Strong team worker
- Showing ambition and initiative; perseverant
- At least 18 years old
APPLICATION AND JOB RELEVANT INFORMATION
Our roles will be subject to our appearance standards (including in relation to visible tattoos) and employees are expected to project a professional image at all times. Visible tattoos are not permitted. Tattoos concealed with make-up, skin-colored sleeves, or any covering other than the company uniform will still be considered visible for the purposes of our appearance standards. Exemptions to this may be considered on a case-by-case basis where appropriate. Tattoo removal may not result in successful employment and therefore is not encouraged and is the candidate’s personal decision. Furthermore, any offer of employment is subject to you passing all mandatory medical examinations as required by the company. For further information, please contact our recruiting team.
As part of any recruitment process, Viking collects and processes personal data relating to job applicants. We are committed to being transparent about how we collect and use that data and to meeting our data protection obligations. If you would like to find out more about how your information will be used, please view the privacy notice on our careers page.
Good knowledge of the English language is required.
THE VIKING STORY
More than 20 years ago, Viking® set the standard for what river cruising should be, and today we are the leader that all others follow. In 2015, we took the same small ship, destination-focused experience to the seas and reinvented ocean cruising. Over the years Viking has won numerous ocean and river cruise line awards from Condé Nast Traveler, Cruise Critic, Travel + Leisure, Travel Weekly and more.
Viking is a strong and dynamic company—with a growing fleet of more than 80 river ships and seven ocean vessels cruising over 100 itineraries around the world.
JOIN THE VIKING FAMILY
If you have always dreamed of combining your love of travel with the ability to grow your career, consider a position at Viking. We are the world’s leading small ship cruise line, and there is tremendous potential to advance your career with us. As part of our crew, when your ship is docked at the many destinations we visit, you can explore ashore and refresh during your free time.
Additionally, with Viking’s award-winning service and thoughtfully curated onboard experiences, our guests are typically very satisfied. This, combined with Viking’s gratuity guidelines, means that you can expect to be well rewarded as an employee on board a Viking ship.