OCEAN - Assistant Chief Housekeeper
Assisstant Chief Housekeeper
Viking was founded in 1997 and has grown to be the leading small ship travel company, offering destination-focused river, ocean and expedition voyages on all seven continents. Designed for experienced travelers with interests in science, history, culture and cuisine, Chairman Torstein Hagen often says Viking offers guests The Thinking Person’s Cruise® in contrast to mainstream cruises.
With more than 250 awards to its name, the company currently operates a fleet of state-of-the-art ships that have received numerous accolades since their launch from industry experts and travelers alike. For the second year in a row, Viking was voted the #1 River Line and the #1 Ocean Line by Condé Nast Traveler in the publication’s 2022 Readers’ Choice Awards. Viking was also named #1 for both Rivers and Oceans by Travel + Leisure in the 2022 World’s Best Awards making it the only cruise line to reach the top of its categories in both publications in the same year.
A VIKING LEADERSHIP ROLE
As a Viking Shipboard Leader, you represent Viking’s values and leadership philosophy (Hávamál). You are a hospitality professional who demonstrates passion for excellence, who takes ownership for your areas of responsibility, and who believes in empowering your team with the skills, knowledge and tools to succeed. You are an exceptional role model for the Viking Family and have strong motivation to achieve the company’s goals and objectives. You are flexible, stress resistant, focused, and a truly committed team member.
PURPOSE OF POSITION
- The Assistant Chief Housekeeper supports the Executive Housekeeper to oversee a variety of housekeeping functions to ensure the smooth running of the daily operation of the Housekeeping Department
- It is your responsibility to create a friendly, guest-oriented service culture to ensure Guest satisfaction and repeat business, which in turn, will increase revenue and profitability of the company.
- Monitor par levels of all lockers within the relevant working areas and ensure that sufficient supplies are available for the Stateroom Host; arrange for the collection of general store items as per the schedule and ensure that all items are properly distributed to lockers within the relevant working areas; complete the weekly general supply requisition and submit the requisition for approval.
- Inform the Executive Housekeeper of any Guest related issues, resolving these issues according to Viking’s STAR Service Standards; follow up on any special requests from Guests.
- Ensure that all logs are signed and up-to-date in the designated housekeeping areas, follow up & keep track of all special cleaning matrixes including cleaning of curtains, carpet shampoo, furniture, shower head sanitation, etc.
- Regularly inspect Housekeeping areas including Guest Staterooms, public areas, corridors and lockers to ensure that these areas are according to company policies and procedures and employee health and fire/chemical safety. Any damages/malfunctions found during such inspection must be corrected accordingly and reported to the Executive Housekeeper.
- Lead and support a multi-cultural team, maximizing crew satisfaction, productivity and retention.
- Meet with Team Leaders on a daily basis for “The Daily Reunion”, to provide feedback & operational updates as well as to ensure that your department is performing to Viking’s STAR Service Standards.
- Provide the highest level of comfort and service to Guests and consistently maintain an impeccable standard of cleanliness and hygiene in all areas, as per Viking’s STAR Service Standards and all Public Health Policies; manage service according to Guest flow, embarkation & disembarkation, sea day activities & other activities.
- Provide competent leadership to all direct reports. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to: Conducting performance reviews, including discipline as needed, ensuring Maritime Labor Convention (MLC) compliance and onboard training, succession planning, crew communication and recognition.
- Ensure you always wear the appropriate and task specific Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) as required for your duties onboard. Always use correct lifting techniques to prevent injuries.
- Uphold impeccable grooming standards within your team at all times by complying with Viking’s Image and Uniform Standards.
- Ensure that company property is appropriately secured and protected, especially during rough weather conditions, in order to prevent unnecessary loss or damage.
- Demonstrates outstanding flexibility: able to work at different times of the day, under pressure and reflect a positive can-do attitude and the best image of Viking at all times.
- Become knowledgeable and ensure your team are knowledgeable about itinerary-related ports of call, shore excursions and shipboard activities such as events, entertainment and programs.
- Positively contribute to achieving/succeeding Housekeeping KPI goals (quality & financial).
- Have full knowledge about safety & security procedures and can operate in line with all Public Health, Environmental and Safety & Security Policies; participate in all training concerning onboard training, safety & security, fire prevention, evacuation exercises as required by the company
- Prepare for & participate in all Public Health inspections onboard.
This document describes the primary activities, duties and responsibilities of this position. Your manager or supervisor may assign additional duties and responsibilities to you.
- A required minimum of 2 years’ experience as an Assistant Chief Housekeeper or similar position, within a premium brand hospitality environment, and experience with ship operations of 500+ staterooms is required; must have experience in leading a multi-cultural team. A Business Administration or Hotel Management degree is preferred.
- Fluent in English - must be able to address any kind of information in an adequate manner with excellent oral English communication skills.
- Guest-focused, service-oriented, positive personality, professional appearance and impeccable hygiene standards are required; team builder with exceptional motivational skills and coaching ability is required; must have a keen eye for cleanliness and attention to detail.
- Must have strong administrative skills and basic computer skills, including a proficiency with PC based databases, spreadsheets, and word processing systems.
- Must demonstrate flexibility with effective stress management skills.
- Must have a proven and comprehensive knowledge of all Public Health and Sanitary Policies compliance.
GUIDELINES AND REGULATIONS
- Implement Standard Operating Procedures & STAR Service Standards within the department.
- Ensure appropriate appearance and clothing according to Viking’s Image and Uniform Standards.
- The company reserves the right to change/extend this job description if necessary, at any point of time during her/his employment.
Position: Assistant Chief Housekeeper
Supervisor: Executive Housekeeper
Direct reports: Stateroom Host
Line manager: Executive Housekeeper
APPLICATION AND JOB RELEVANT INFORMATION
Our roles will be subject to our appearance standards (including in relation to visible tattoos) and employees are expected to project a professional image at all times. Visible tattoos are not permitted. Tattoos concealed with make-up, skin-colored sleeves or any covering other than the company uniform will still be considered visible for the purposes of our appearance standards. Exemptions to this may be considered on a case-by-case basis where appropriate. Tattoo removal may not result in successful employment and therefore is not encouraged and is the candidate’s personal decision. Furthermore, any offer of employment is subject to you passing all mandatory medical examinations as required by the company. After submitting your CV, we might ask you to introduce yourself with a personal video recording. We always encourage our candidates to take this step to add their personality to any written application. Please note, however, that this step is optional and not a mandatory part of the recruiting process. For further information, please refer to our Recruitment Guidelines.
As part of any recruitment process, Viking collects and processes personal data relating to job applicants. We are committed to being transparent about how we collect and use that data and to meeting our data protection obligations. If you would like to find out more about how your information will be used, please view the privacy notice on our careers page.
Good knowledge of the English language is required.
THE VIKING STORY
More than 20 years ago, Viking® set the standard for what river cruising should be, and today we are the leader that all others follow. In 2015, we took the same small ship, destination-focused experience to the seas and reinvented ocean cruising. Over the years Viking has won numerous ocean and river cruise line awards from Condé Nast Traveler, Cruise Critic, Travel + Leisure, Travel Weekly and more.
Viking is a strong and dynamic company—with a growing fleet of more than 80 river ships and seven ocean vessels cruising over 100 itineraries around the world.
JOIN THE VIKING FAMILY
If you have always dreamed of combining your love of travel with the ability to grow your career, consider a position at Viking. We are the world’s leading small ship cruise line, and there is tremendous potential to advance your career with us. As part of our crew, when your ship is docked at the many destinations we visit, you can explore ashore and refresh during your free time.
Additionally, with Viking’s award-winning service and thoughtfully curated onboard experiences, our guests are typically very satisfied. This, combined with Viking’s gratuity guidelines, means that you can expect to be well rewarded as an employee on board a Viking ship.