Personal Survival Techniques
- Course Type:
- Personal Survival Techniques
- Training School:
- South Shields Marine School
- South Shields, Tyne and Wear, United Kingdom
- 1 day
Course Title: Personal Survival Techniques
Course Code: 508
This course provides seafarers with the essential education and training in personal survival techniques meeting the requirements set out in STCW Code Table A-VI/1-1. The student will have a good understanding of how to survive at sea in the event of ship abandonment.
Students are continuously assessed during the course in the pool. They must demonstrate the following:
- Donning of an emersion suit and life jacket.
- Stepping into the water.
- Swimming whilst wearing a life jacket.
- Enter a life raft and subsequent immediate and secondary actions whilst in the life raft.
- Righting an upside down life raft.
- Simulated winching from a life raft.
There is also a multi choice written exam.
This course is a requirement for all person proceeding to sea in the merchant navy.
The learner must be at least 16 years of age to be issued with a Certificate of Proficiency. In exceptional circumstances where a learner is physically able and fit they may be able to complete the training course prior to her/his 16th birthday.