Vessel type: Ocean-going cruise ship
Purpose of Position
To control, maintain and operate the Broadcast facilities, film and public audio requirements of the ship, utilizing live TV channels, Viking programing, authorized movies, documentaries and licensed special events, including the filming of ship events, daily programming, cinema, pool deck, lounge and theater output
- Set up and operates broadcast equipment for assigned programming from Broadcast Center
- Adjusts the fidelity, brightness and contrast of video transmissions using video control consoles, monitoring clarity, reliability and strength of signals
- Monitors antennae and dishes to ensure clearest signal for transmission in consultation with Systems Manager.
- Maintain the 22 public audio channels for background music and maintain quiet areas
- Liaises with Food and Beverage Manager for appropriate audio content in restaurants
- Films and edits daily TV show with Cruise Director and other periodic output and upload to system for broadcast
- Films and edits lectures, presentations and port talks for upload to system for broadcast
- Liaises with Stage Manager regarding broadcast of cinema, theater, pool deck and lounge output
- Provides back up to Systems Manager on technical matters regarding operation of public and stateroom televisions
- Communicates outages and ‘dead’ zones to Hotel General Manager, Guest Services Manager and Cruise Director
- Assists Assistant Cruise Director and L.A. marketing on the update of display screens on board
- Maintains a programming log of issues and challenges and provides a Voyage Report to Cruise Director.
- Assists with the maintenance of broadcast equipment.
- Is competent in monitoring stock control and ordering of consumables
- Communicates in a clear, concise and timely manner with Cruise Director, other departments and management of systems, such as Red Cell, EBH and other outside contractors related to Broadcasting
- Is on time for all set-ups, show call, meetings and work calls and maintains working log of hours
- Maintains cleanliness and order in all sound areas
- Participates in special events by assisting with video needs.
- Performs other duties as assigned by the Cruise Director and Assistant Cruise Director.
- Performs in a manner consistent with VOC’s Mission, Values and Vision, including a commitment to diversity and inclusion
- Maintain, uphold and execute the Viking quality and Service Standards
- Monitor guest satisfaction and report issues, concerns and suggestions
- Qualifications in Broadcasting in theater, television, live events or cruise ships preferred or audio cross training from Stage Management. Equivalency of experience, training and education in broadcasting projection systems and skills will also be considered
- Prefer previous ship experience
- A minimum of 2 years of professional experience in which strong knowledge of computer systems (both hardware and software) for set-up and support of broadcasting have been applied.
- Knowledge of public audio broadcasting preferred
- Video and digital filming and editing skills expected Good communication ability with department heads, management and outside contractors
- Microsoft proficient with good command of email, word and excel
- Strong command of English
- Commitment to Safety and Security programs
- Well groomed
- Understand guest needs
- Time Management
- Reliable and pressure resistant
- Proactive in upholding Viking standards of excellence
- Enthusiastic crew member
Solid line: Report to the Cruise Director and secondary to Hotel General Manager and Guest Services on issues that affect guest service
Guidelines and Regulations
Job Description • Contract • Company Rules and Regulations • Onboard ABC • Viking College • Uniform Regulation • Departmental Manual
Good knowledge of the English language is required.
When you have the best people, you have the best river cruise line.
Across Europe, Russia, China and Southeast Asia, more people sail with Viking than any other river cruise line. With inspiring destinations, the largest fleet of 4 and 5 star ships, memorable experiences and fine cuisine, Viking is regularly voted the world’s favorite river cruise line.
Our guests return again and again because we also offer something more – exceptional service. The kind of service provided by exceptional people. If that sounds like you, and you’d like to be part of a forward thinking and fast-expanding company, we’d like to hear from you.
Our standards set us apart. So do our career opportunities.
At Viking, we care about your career as much as you do and we will give you the training, skills and confidence you need to be the best you can be. We even have a custom training program, the Viking College, to help you learn and sharpen your skills.
We offer great opportunities for promotion where you will be rewarded for your hard work, enthusiasm, initiative and sense of responsibility.
Our management team in Switzerland overseas all aspects of our operations – from shore excursions to catering and nautical operations – everyone works for the same company, with the same high standards that Viking is famous for. We look forward to hear from you!
Set sail for your career.