Vessel type: Ocean-going cruise ship
Purpose of Position
Responsible for setting up, running, and maintaining lighting equipment for all entertainment venues.
- Rigs, circuits and focusses lighting equipment for assigned shows.
- Programs lighting computer/console during technical rehearsals as assigned.
- Performs fixture /circuit check before each show to ensure show set-up is complete and exact.
- Operates manual and computer controlled lighting systems during shows.
- Ensures that design integrity and performance quality are maintained through the run of the shows.
- Operates follow-spot when necessary.
- Inspects and maintains all overhead rigging in the entertainment venues.
- Reports necessary information for the Stage Manager’s Voyage Report.
- Maintains and performs minor to moderate repairs to the lighting equipment inventory, where applicable, and if safe, without invalidating warranties and suppliers instructions.
- Communicates in a clear, concise and timely manner with Stage Manager and other departments.
- Is on time for all set-ups, show call, meetings and work calls.
- Maintains cleanliness and order in all lighting areas
- Participates in special events by assisting with sound needs.
- Performs other duties as assigned by the Cruise Director, Assistant Cruise Director, Stage Manager.
- Performs in a manner consistent with VOC’s Mission, Values and Vision, including a commitment to diversity and inclusion.
- Maintain, uphold and execute the Viking quality and Service Standards
- Monitor guest satisfaction and report issues, concerns and suggestions
- Solid line: Report to the Assistant Cruise Director/ Cruise Director and Stage Manager
A qualified professional lighting technician with the ability to work within a team structure as well as independently. Able to maintain a positive work atmosphere
- Qualifications in technical theatre preferred but not required. Equivalency of experience, training and education in audio electronics will be considered.
- A minimum of 2 years of professional experience in which strong knowledge of lighting equipment and DMX control systems.
- Prefer previous ship experience
- Basic machines / hand tools. Various control consoles including MARTIN M1, lighting fixtures (including LED and automated), fog machines, laser emitters, spotlights, and strobes. Computer skills – PC/MAC.
- Must have the ability to stand, kneel or crouch.
- Must have the ability to climb ladders and scaffolding.
- Understand guest needs
- Time Management
- Teamwork and good communication
- Strong command of English
- Reliable and pressure resistant
- Proactive in upholding Viking standards of excellence
- Enthusiastic crew member
- Must have the ability to negotiate catwalks and access all points in all theatre spaces.
- Must have the ability to lift up to 70 pounds.
- The ability to work within a team structure as well as independently. Able to maintain a positive work atmosphere by behaving and communicating in a manner that gets along with clients, customers, coworkers and management
- Well groomed
Guidelines and Regulations
Job Description • Contract • Company Rules and Regulations • Onboard ABC • Viking College • Uniform Regulation • Departmental Manual
Good knowledge of the English language is required.
JOIN OUR FAMILY
As the World’s Leading River Cruise Line® and the #1 Ocean Cruise Line, we are constantly innovating our business and growing our fleet. With more than 64 river ships and 6 ocean vessels cruising across 6 continents, we are the largest, most award-winning company in the industry. There is tremendous opportunity to join our dynamically growing company — whether on board our ships or in our corporate offices.
Viking Cruises was founded in Russia in 1997. The company established headquarters in Los Angeles, California in 2000 and through rapid expansion has enjoyed double-digit growth in recent years. With operational headquarters in Basel, Switzerland, Viking provides travel experiences for guests with an interest in geography, culture and history.
The award-winning Viking Longships offer a variety of stateroom categories and true two-room suites with full-size verandas. Onboard amenities include a restaurant, bar & lounge, library and expansive sun deck. River cruises range from 8 to 23 days, with itineraries featuring Europe’s Rhine, Main, Danube, Seine, Rhône, Douro, Moselle, Elbe, Dordogne, Garonne and Gironde Rivers; Russia’s Volga, Neva and Svir; Ukraine’s Dnieper; Egypt’s Nile; China’s Yangtze; and Southeast Asia’s Mekong.
In 2015, Viking introduced its first ocean ship with the christening of the 930-guest all-veranda Viking Star. One year later, Viking launched its second ocean ship, Viking Sea, which was joined by sister ships Viking Sky and Viking Sun in 2017 and by Viking Orion in 2018. The fleet welcomes Viking Jupiter in 2019. Four more yet-to-be-named ships are scheduled to launch by 2023. Ocean itineraries are designed to maximize the amount of time travelers spend in their destination. These enriching itineraries include base and combination cruises sailing to Scandinavia and Northern Europe, the Mediterranean, the Caribbean, Australia and New Zealand, Asia, Alaska, the Americas, and Africa.