Vessel type: Ocean-going cruise ship
Purpose of Position
The supervision and management of onboard technical team to ensure onboard technical equipment is of a high standard for all entertainment venues shipwide
- Assigns and manages set up & striking for theater, cinemas and lounges for shows, cabarets, lectures, music sets and other ship events
- Ensures all technical equipment is fully operational and maintained
- Oversees sound checks before each performance
- Ensures that show set-up is complete and exact.
- Ensures that design integrity and performance quality are maintained through the run of all performances and presentations, with the ability to operate as necessary either backstage or in the booth
- Management and scheduling of Technical team
- Liaises with cast Company manger and ACD to agree appropriate rehearsal & set-up times
- Maintains a show report log for each performance.
- Assists with the maintenance of equipment, reporting deficiencies
- Maintains ordering of supplies and stock control of consumables
- Communicates with Cruise Director on the technical needs for local entertainment
- Greets and prepares local entertainers with their technical needs
- Greets and prepares guest lecturers with their technical needs
- Communicates in a clear, concise and timely manner with Stage Technicians, ACD and other departments.
- Possesses the ability to trouble shoot and communicate to provide information to resolve issues.
- Has organizational and operational skills including inventory, scheduling, maintenance, cleaning, storage, distribution and coordination.
- Is on time for all set-ups, show call, meetings and work calls.
- Maintains cleanliness and order in all areas.
- Participates in special events by assisting with technical and stage management needs
- Sends a voyage report to the Cruise Director, including technical issues in any of the venues onboard or areas that require attention
- Performs other duties as assigned by the Cruise Director and Assistant Cruise Director relevant to the role
- Performs in a manner consistent with VOC’s Mission, Values and Vision, including a commitment to diversity and inclusion.
- Maintain, uphold and execute the Viking quality and Service Standards
- Monitor guest satisfaction and report issues, concerns and suggestions
Mindset & Values
- Be well groomed and of positive personality, skilled as a technician
- Adhere to schedules, and is always mindful of being set up and ready for all duties
Communication & Coordination
- Report directly to the Cruise Director, checking daily schedules
- Own the working environment and deliver consistent guest satisfaction
- Suggest innovative ideas to keep the role fresh, creative and interesting
- Manages the Technical team
- Schedules the Technical team so as to cover all entertainment needs for the ship, keeping within the set work and rest hours
Solid line: Report to the Cruise Director/ Assistant Cruise Director
A qualified professional technician with the ability to work within a team structure as well as independently. Able to maintain a positive work atmosphere. Able to confidently manage a team and meet all deadlines
- Qualifications in technical theatre is preferred but not required. Equivalency of experience, training and education also considered as appropriate
- A minimum of 2 years of professional experience in which strong knowledge of Stage Management, including audio, lighting and video knowledge
- Operational knowledge of YAMAHA CL SERIES and YAMAHA LS-9 digital consoles
- Operational knowledge of the SHURE UHFR & ULXD microphone systems.
- Enthusiastic crew member
- Strong command of English – spoken and written
- Ability to communicate accurately to performers and guest speakers
- Operational knowledge of MAC & PC computers, navigation, file management, Microsoft & email
- Basic knowledge of the LEVEL 53 QLAB software
- Basic knowledge of the AUDINATE DANTE software.
- Basic knowledge of the concepts of DANTE AUDIO NETWORKING.
- Physically able to to stand, kneel or crouch, with ability to climb ladders and scaffolding with correct supervision and safety equipment
- Must have the ability to negotiate catwalks and access all points in all theatre spaces.
- Must have the ability to lift up to 70 pounds.
- Time Management
- Teamwork and good communication
- Leadership skills
- Reliable and pressure resistant
- Proactive in upholding Viking standards of excellence
Guidelines and Regulations
Job Description • Contract • Company Rules and Regulations • Onboard ABC • Viking College • Uniform Regulation • Departmental Manual
Good knowledge of the English language is required.
JOIN OUR FAMILY
As the World’s Leading River Cruise Line® and the #1 Ocean Cruise Line, we are constantly innovating our business and growing our fleet. With more than 64 river ships and 6 ocean vessels cruising across 6 continents, we are the largest, most award-winning company in the industry. There is tremendous opportunity to join our dynamically growing company — whether on board our ships or in our corporate offices.
Viking Cruises was founded in Russia in 1997. The company established headquarters in Los Angeles, California in 2000 and through rapid expansion has enjoyed double-digit growth in recent years. With operational headquarters in Basel, Switzerland, Viking provides travel experiences for guests with an interest in geography, culture and history.
The award-winning Viking Longships offer a variety of stateroom categories and true two-room suites with full-size verandas. Onboard amenities include a restaurant, bar & lounge, library and expansive sun deck. River cruises range from 8 to 23 days, with itineraries featuring Europe’s Rhine, Main, Danube, Seine, Rhône, Douro, Moselle, Elbe, Dordogne, Garonne and Gironde Rivers; Russia’s Volga, Neva and Svir; Ukraine’s Dnieper; Egypt’s Nile; China’s Yangtze; and Southeast Asia’s Mekong.
In 2015, Viking introduced its first ocean ship with the christening of the 930-guest all-veranda Viking Star. One year later, Viking launched its second ocean ship, Viking Sea, which was joined by sister ships Viking Sky and Viking Sun in 2017 and by Viking Orion in 2018. The fleet welcomes Viking Jupiter in 2019. Four more yet-to-be-named ships are scheduled to launch by 2023. Ocean itineraries are designed to maximize the amount of time travelers spend in their destination. These enriching itineraries include base and combination cruises sailing to Scandinavia and Northern Europe, the Mediterranean, the Caribbean, Australia and New Zealand, Asia, Alaska, the Americas, and Africa.