Manager Purchasing Land Operations
Purpose of Position
The Manager Purchasing Land Operations is the integral part of our purchasing and procurement department. This role is key to maintaining Viking Cruises as industry leader in regards to securing quality, efficiency and delivery targets within the entire supply chain in the river/ocean cruise industry.
The Manager Purchasing Land Operations is teaming up with a second Manager Purchasing Land Operations and reports to the Senior Manager Purchasing Land Operations. This role is based in our Operational Head Office in Basel, Switzerland.
Please note that we can only accept applicants who possess a valid Swiss work permit or who are eligible to work in Switzerland.
- Identifying new potential suppliers, agree and negotiate terms and conditions
- Visiting existing suppliers across Europe (may be on short notice), and establishing and maintaining prosperous strategic business relationships with key suppliers
- Negotiating and agreeing contracts and monitoring their progress
- Managing and controlling the company’s suppliers with emphasis on service and product quality
- Ensuring products and inventory are bought at the most appropriate, yet competitive price
- Foster excellent and close internal relationships with Land Operations Managers
- Continually improve purchasing methods
- Procurement of hotel rooms incl. F&B in the creation of replacement programs for unforeseen events such as floods, low water, etc.
- Producing reports and statistics
- Processing payments and invoices
- Any reasonable task requested by the company
- Representing the department at internal meetings and presenting purchasing performance achievements
- Continuous development of own personality
- Contracting all land based services for river (and ocean) vessels
- Previous experience in the Hotel sourcing/purchasing or/and Service purchasing industry is a pre-requisite
- High competency level in use of MS Office, in particular Excel and PowerPoint; MXP or any other procurement software is a plus
- Proven track record of controlling and reducing external spend whilst developing a solid supplier base
- Fully conversant with modern purchasing and procurement techniques
- Fluency in English and German, both in written and spoken
- French skills would be a plus
- Strong administrative and organizational skills
- Excellent communication skills
- Result-orientated and confident
- Hands-on mentality and excellent negotiation skills
- Proactive approach to overcome challenges and achieve results
WHAT WE OFFER
- Flexible working hours
- Free parking
- Free soft drinks, juices and coffee
- Regular company events, e.g. sports games, BBQ, cooking classes
- A modern working environment with height-adjustable desks
- A dynamic and fast-growing environment where you can drive your future
- A free cruise for you and your +1 every two years
- A highly talented, passionate and international team
Good knowledge of the English language is required.
JOIN OUR FAMILY
As the World’s Leading River Cruise Line® and the #1 Ocean Cruise Line, we are constantly innovating our business and growing our fleet. With more than 64 river ships and 6 ocean vessels cruising across 6 continents, we are the largest, most award-winning company in the industry. There is tremendous opportunity to join our dynamically growing company — whether on board our ships or in our corporate offices.
Viking Cruises was founded in Russia in 1997. The company established headquarters in Los Angeles, California in 2000 and through rapid expansion has enjoyed double-digit growth in recent years. With operational headquarters in Basel, Switzerland, Viking provides travel experiences for guests with an interest in geography, culture and history.
The award-winning Viking Longships offer a variety of stateroom categories and true two-room suites with full-size verandas. Onboard amenities include a restaurant, bar & lounge, library and expansive sun deck. River cruises range from 8 to 23 days, with itineraries featuring Europe’s Rhine, Main, Danube, Seine, Rhône, Douro, Moselle, Elbe, Dordogne, Garonne and Gironde Rivers; Russia’s Volga, Neva and Svir; Ukraine’s Dnieper; Egypt’s Nile; China’s Yangtze; and Southeast Asia’s Mekong.
In 2015, Viking introduced its first ocean ship with the christening of the 930-guest all-veranda Viking Star. One year later, Viking launched its second ocean ship, Viking Sea, which was joined by sister ships Viking Sky and Viking Sun in 2017 and by Viking Orion in 2018. The fleet welcomes Viking Jupiter in 2019. Four more yet-to-be-named ships are scheduled to launch by 2023. Ocean itineraries are designed to maximize the amount of time travelers spend in their destination. These enriching itineraries include base and combination cruises sailing to Scandinavia and Northern Europe, the Mediterranean, the Caribbean, Australia and New Zealand, Asia, Alaska, the Americas, and Africa.