The Second Engineer is in charge of engine watch-keeping. He/she is responsible for ensuring the safe and efficient operation of technical equipment inside the engine room as delegated by the Staff Engineer.
- Ensures presence on board whenever the First Engineer is absent;
- Relieves the First Engineer Officer in case of emergency;
- Is responsible toward the Staff Engineer for the maintenance and condition of the Main and Auxiliary Boilers, all type of freshwater generators and steam loop in the Engine;
- Assigns maintenance and repair duties to his dependent personnel and actively supervises in any overhaul and repair work;
- Inspects all assigned work in progress ensuring that it is executed properly in accordance with acceptable standards and that no wastage of materials occurs;
- Controls the proper disposals of all refuse, rags etc. to avoid fire and other hazards;
- Trains personnel assigned to his engine watch;
- Attends all cocktail parties and social and entertaining functions where his presence is required by the Master.
- Fluent English, oral and written. Any additional language is considered an advantage;
- Certificate of Competency IMO STCW Cap III/2;
- Valid Panama Seamen Book;
- Basic Safety Training Certificate including Advanced Fire fighting experience and Swimming & Rowing competence;
- Satisfy the requirements of STCW regarding certification for this position;
- Meet the requirements of the laws of the Flag State of the ship regarding health & physical requirements;
- Extensive successful experience in a similar position within Cargo or other Cruise company;
- Basic Windows-based programs knowledge;
- A recognised medical certification is required before starting to work on board.
- USA VISA if in possess
You will need valid STCW certificates to apply for this position. Find an STCW course near you.
Good knowledge of the English language is required.
JOIN US AND SEE HOW MUCH YOU CAN GROW!
MSC Cruises has grown exponentially since 2003. In such a short time, we have built a fleet of 21 modern and most environmentally advanced ships!
With our constant expansion, our fleet will grow in capacity with the arrival of eight new ships in three different classes by 2027.
One of our latest ships – MSC World Europa – was delivered in 2022, inaugurating the World Class. It is our largest cruise ship to date, with a capacity of over 6,700 passengers, served by more than 2,000 crew members.
In 2022 we also inaugurated the MSC Seascape which features new immersive high-tech entertainment with innovative technology that provides guests with endless leisure options.
From 2023 MSC Cruises will enter the Luxury segment by launching its first of four Explora Journeys ships. The ships will be equipped with the best and latest environmental technology and bestowed with a highly-innovative design.
With four new mega-ships and four Luxury ships to be built and delivered between 2023 and 2027, the biggest and most important challenge for MSC Cruises is to find, recruit and train a high number of new crew members needed to provide the service, fun and safety that have become hallmarks of MSC Cruises.
This massive project is already well under way. The Human Resources Team is not only working to recruit the best talents but is also visiting our manning agencies and hiring partners around the world to ensure that the right people and facilities are in place to prepare this ‘army’ of new crew members for their life at sea.
We need motivated and ambitious crew members who work with passion and understand the value of a smile.