The Environmental Officer makes certain the application of all procedures to prevent pollution are understood and carried out by the crew and ensures full compliance with MARPOL regulations relating to the correct handling and disposal of all waste material.
- Reports directly to the Master any misalignment and no-conformity referred to the Environmental protection and to the correct application of Environmental Company policy;
- Ensures that the garbage is managed correctly, gathered and lawfully disposed in accordance with MARPOL regulations, national, local legislation and Company policy. Assists the shipboard personnel and the authorized appointed companies during the operational garbage disposal;
- Ensures the proper management of the waste water and effluent external sampling tests, according to the Company instructions; files the results and reports sent on board through the Company;
- Makes certain that the Company Policy referred to the Air Emission Management is duly followed. Defines the working schedule of the incinerator and the use of the food waste system discharge, according to the International, local rules and Company procedures;
- In cooperation with the Safety Officer, ensures and performs the environmental trainings to all crew members. Ensures that onboard personnel is trained on Chemical Safety as per Company policy and Chemical Management Manual;
- Makes certain that all external companies and their technicians, once on board are aware of the Environmental Company policy and relevant procedures in order to efficiently and lawfully cope with situations that may cause pollution;
- Together with the Safety Officer, coordinates and directs the monthly Pollution Emergency drills, assists the Staff Captain with any Environmental findings, following to inspections/audits internal and external;
- Cooperates with the 1st Officer on the performance of the Risk Assessment, supporting him about the environmental aspects compliance;
- Carries out periodic inspections of all safety and environmental protection appliances and equipment, which must be properly maintained at all times;
- Updates all environmental logbooks and plans ensuring the correct recordkeeping and filling out by the respective shipboard personnel. Provides an environmental schedule for the voyage, verifying that all environmental restrictions in the ships' area of operation have been included in the voyage plan, and ensuring the correct application of the Company Policies.
- Fluent in oral and written English (working & safety language of the Company);
- Environmental / Science-based bachelor's degree or higher. Successful completion of EO Company training;
- STCW Compliance with the requirements of STCW regarding certification for this position;
- Has a complete knowledge of the MARPOL, Garbage Management Plan, Chemical Management Plan and ISO 14001/50001;
- Basic Windows based programs knowledge;
- A recognised medical certification is required;
- Proven ability to work in a harmonious productive team environment;
- Meet the requirements of the laws of the Flag State of the ship regarding health & physical requirements;
- Extensive successful experience in a similar position within MSC or other Cruise company;
Possess a valid passport and when possible a seaman book copy.
You will need valid STCW certificates to apply for this position. Find an STCW course near you.
Good knowledge of the English language is required.
JOIN US AND SEE HOW MUCH YOU CAN GROW!
MSC Cruises has grown exponentially since 2003. In such a short time, we have built a fleet of 21 modern and most environmentally advanced ships!
With our constant expansion, our fleet will grow in capacity with the arrival of eight new ships in three different classes by 2027.
One of our latest ships – MSC World Europa – was delivered in 2022, inaugurating the World Class. It is our largest cruise ship to date, with a capacity of over 6,700 passengers, served by more than 2,000 crew members.
In 2022 we also inaugurated the MSC Seascape which features new immersive high-tech entertainment with innovative technology that provides guests with endless leisure options.
From 2023 MSC Cruises will enter the Luxury segment by launching its first of four Explora Journeys ships. The ships will be equipped with the best and latest environmental technology and bestowed with a highly-innovative design.
With four new mega-ships and four Luxury ships to be built and delivered between 2023 and 2027, the biggest and most important challenge for MSC Cruises is to find, recruit and train a high number of new crew members needed to provide the service, fun and safety that have become hallmarks of MSC Cruises.
This massive project is already well under way. The Human Resources Team is not only working to recruit the best talents but is also visiting our manning agencies and hiring partners around the world to ensure that the right people and facilities are in place to prepare this ‘army’ of new crew members for their life at sea.
We need motivated and ambitious crew members who work with passion and understand the value of a smile.