Manager Product Development
Purpose of Position
The Manager Product Development is part of the Ocean Product Development Team, whose primary responsibility is the development, positioning and defining of shore excursions on selected itineraries. This position is expected to create the shore excursion experience for our Ocean-going vessels. The Manager Product Development will work in cooperation with the Ocean Product Development TEam and the Vice President Product Development. He/she works with the team’s copywriter to provide details to the Los Angeles, London and Sydney sales offices needed to position and sell shore excursions. The position supports the onboard staff with training and any needed advice regarding the execution of shore excursion programs. He/ she also provides assistance to local vendors where needed in hiring, training of staff and mapping out shore excursion execution.
This role is based in our Operational Head Office in Basel, Switzerland. Thus, we can only accept candidates who are eligible to work in Switzerland or in possession of a relevant work permit.
- Prepare comprehensive product definition, detailing shore excursions, profit & loss, competitive review and quality data for core products
- Conceptualize enhancements to existing products and develop solutions for current quality challenges –own the entire development cycle, from concept to test to implementation to quality evaluation for core products
- Liaise with vendors and ship operations resources to implement product changes
- Spearheading price negotiations, initiate bidding processes and finalize contracts, set rates etc.
- Review content of all pertinent documentation (e-mails, daily newsletter, handouts, itinerary descriptions) that is part of product delivery (pre-, post- and during cruise) for content and pertinence
- Provide operational support to operational teams during crisis situations
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in fields of communication, logistics or tourism
- Significant experience and proven track record of managing logistics and overseeing budgets
- At least 3 years of experience in all aspects of product development and delivery, including day-to-day operations and crisis management, feasibility, P&L and competitive analysis; product definition and positioning
- At least 5 years of travel industry experience
- Excellent creative and conceptual skills in developing travel products
- Passion for providing a learning travel experience
- Knowledge of geography, history, culture and current affairs of the core product area
- Highly detail-oriented and organized work style
- Excellent conceptual and communication skills, an ability to work well under pressure, willingness to make decisions, a thorough and proven understanding of guests’ expectations in the framework of organized travel; a well-developed sense of quality in delivery; the ability to work in a fast-paced environment and function effectively within a diverse, international group of colleagues.
- Excellent MS Office skills
WHAT WE OFFER
- Flexible working hours
- Regular company events, e.g. company run, barbecue, cooking classes
- Onsite employee restaurant (incuding complimentary coffee and soft drinks)
- A modern working environment with height-adjustable desks
- A dynamic and fast-growing environment where you can drive your future
- A free cruise for you and your +1 every two years
- A highly talented, passionate and international team
- Discounts on cultural events and sports activities
Good knowledge of the English language is required.
JOIN OUR FAMILY
As the World’s Leading River Cruise Line® and the #1 Ocean Cruise Line, we are constantly innovating our business and growing our fleet. With more than 64 river ships and 6 ocean vessels cruising across 6 continents, we are the largest, most award-winning company in the industry. There is tremendous opportunity to join our dynamically growing company — whether on board our ships or in our corporate offices.
Viking Cruises was founded in Russia in 1997. The company established headquarters in Los Angeles, California in 2000 and through rapid expansion has enjoyed double-digit growth in recent years. With operational headquarters in Basel, Switzerland, Viking provides travel experiences for guests with an interest in geography, culture and history.
The award-winning Viking Longships offer a variety of stateroom categories and true two-room suites with full-size verandas. Onboard amenities include a restaurant, bar & lounge, library and expansive sun deck. River cruises range from 8 to 23 days, with itineraries featuring Europe’s Rhine, Main, Danube, Seine, Rhône, Douro, Moselle, Elbe, Dordogne, Garonne and Gironde Rivers; Russia’s Volga, Neva and Svir; Ukraine’s Dnieper; Egypt’s Nile; China’s Yangtze; and Southeast Asia’s Mekong.
In 2015, Viking introduced its first ocean ship with the christening of the 930-guest all-veranda Viking Star. One year later, Viking launched its second ocean ship, Viking Sea, which was joined by sister ships Viking Sky and Viking Sun in 2017 and by Viking Orion in 2018. The fleet welcomes Viking Jupiter in 2019. Four more yet-to-be-named ships are scheduled to launch by 2023. Ocean itineraries are designed to maximize the amount of time travelers spend in their destination. These enriching itineraries include base and combination cruises sailing to Scandinavia and Northern Europe, the Mediterranean, the Caribbean, Australia and New Zealand, Asia, Alaska, the Americas, and Africa.