Assistant Purchasing Manager (Non-Food)
Purpose of Position
The Assistant Purchasing Manager’s job is to assist the Senior Purchasing Manager in sourcing all Non-Food items (galley equipment, paper products, chemicals, table- and stemware, uniforms, etc.) globally for Viking’s fleet of River and Ocean ships.
The main responsibility includes preparing tenders and RFx documents, calculate and forecast spend and savings across categories, maintain and update standard items and prices in Viking’s purchasing system, as well as ad-hoc analytics. In addition, the Assistant Purchasing Manager is also involved in managing logistics as well as inventory controls.
The Assistant Purchasing Manager will be part of Viking’s Purchasing team responsible for all sourcing across Viking’s river and ocean business, and work closely with Viking’s culinary team, Onboard Operations team, as well as the ships inventory managers to ensure that all products needed for the onboard hotel operations are delivered on time and at the lowest cost possible.
The Assistant Purchasing Manager (Non-food) will report directly to the Senior Purchasing Manager (Non-food) and will be located in Basel, Switzerland. Please note that we can only accept applicants with a valid Swiss work permit or who are eligible to work in Switzerland
- Calculate and forecast spend and savings by category
- Maintain and update standard items and specification in our system
- Prepare tender and RFx documents
- Support and participate in negotiations
- Support the Senior Purchasing Manager in solving issues with the suppliers (service level issues, quality discrepancies, out of stock, invoices, etc.)
- Support the Senior Purchasing Manager in issuing quarterly purchase orders across the fleet and manage and monitor their delivery
- Participate in industry events and exhibitions
- Maintain Viking Purchasing System (e.g. items, prices, logistics)
- Update prices in our system on a periodic basis
- Conduct ad-hoc analytics related to purchasing and supply chain
- Support the Senior Purchasing Manager in preparing status update for the Senior Management team
- You just graduated from University (Bachelor or Master degree) or have a degree from a Hospitality school
- You are business fluent in English
- You gained first work experience, either through student jobs or internships
- You are eager to build a career in Supply Chain Management
- You are passionate about traveling and interested in the hospitality industry
- You are a self-starter with a can-do mindset
- You are eager to learn and like to work in a team
- You consider yourself to be hands-on and hard-working
- You have strong analytical skills and like to work in a dynamic environment
- You possess very good Excel and PowerPoint skills
WHAT WE OFFER
- Possibility to learn purchasing and supply chain operations from one of the leading Purchasing teams in the industry
- Work with leading edge purchasing tools and techniques
- Flexible working hours
- Onsite employee restaurant (including complimentary soft drinks, juices and coffee)
- Regular company events, e.g. sports games, BBQ, cooking classes
- A modern working environment with height-adjustable desks
- A dynamic and fast-growing environment where you can drive your future
- A free cruise for you and your +1 every two years
- A highly talented, passionate and international team
- Various discounts, e.g. for cultural events
If you are interested, please apply with your CV and a one-page cover letter in English, as well as your university diploma and grades.
Good knowledge of the English language is required.
JOIN OUR FAMILY
As the World’s Leading River Cruise Line® and the #1 Ocean Cruise Line, we are constantly innovating our business and growing our fleet. With more than 64 river ships and 6 ocean vessels cruising across 6 continents, we are the largest, most award-winning company in the industry. There is tremendous opportunity to join our dynamically growing company — whether on board our ships or in our corporate offices.
Viking Cruises was founded in Russia in 1997. The company established headquarters in Los Angeles, California in 2000 and through rapid expansion has enjoyed double-digit growth in recent years. With operational headquarters in Basel, Switzerland, Viking provides travel experiences for guests with an interest in geography, culture and history.
The award-winning Viking Longships offer a variety of stateroom categories and true two-room suites with full-size verandas. Onboard amenities include a restaurant, bar & lounge, library and expansive sun deck. River cruises range from 8 to 23 days, with itineraries featuring Europe’s Rhine, Main, Danube, Seine, Rhône, Douro, Moselle, Elbe, Dordogne, Garonne and Gironde Rivers; Russia’s Volga, Neva and Svir; Ukraine’s Dnieper; Egypt’s Nile; China’s Yangtze; and Southeast Asia’s Mekong.
In 2015, Viking introduced its first ocean ship with the christening of the 930-guest all-veranda Viking Star. One year later, Viking launched its second ocean ship, Viking Sea, which was joined by sister ships Viking Sky and Viking Sun in 2017 and by Viking Orion in 2018. The fleet welcomes Viking Jupiter in 2019. Four more yet-to-be-named ships are scheduled to launch by 2023. Ocean itineraries are designed to maximize the amount of time travelers spend in their destination. These enriching itineraries include base and combination cruises sailing to Scandinavia and Northern Europe, the Mediterranean, the Caribbean, Australia and New Zealand, Asia, Alaska, the Americas, and Africa.