Accounts Payable Accountant
Purpose of Position
As the World’s Leading River Cruise Line® and the #1 Ocean Cruise Line, we are constantly innovating our business and growing our fleet. With more than 70 river ships and 6 ocean vessels cruising for example in Europe, Asia and Russia, there is tremendous opportunity to join our dynamically growing company.
We are currently looking for an AP Accountant to join our finance team. After the introduction to the company you will be in charge of the accounts payable accounting for our Ocean vessels.
This position is based in our Head Office in Basel. Thus, we can only accept applicants who are eligible to work in Switzerland or in possession of a valid work permit.
- Review all invoices for appropriate documentation and approval prior to payment
- Sort and distribute incoming mail
- Process invoices, (process order matching invoices)
- Charge expenses to accounts and cost centers by analyzing invoice/expense reports; recording entries
- Prioritize invoices according to cash discount potential and payment terms
- Respond to all vendor inquiries
- Reconcile vendor statements, research and correct discrepancies
- Maintain historical records by filing documents
- Assist in month-end closing
- Maintain files and documentation thoroughly and accurately, in accordance with company policy and accepted accounting practices
- 2+ years of Accounts Payable experience
- General commercial education ("KV") or accounting degree
- Proficient in Excel and Word
- Ability to speak and write English, German would be an advantage
- Dynamics 365 experience strongly desired but not required
- Possess strong organizational and time management skills
- Must have strong work ethics
- Must be well organized and a self-starter
- Must be able to follow standard filing procedures
- Detail-oriented, professional attitude, reliable
- Strong problem solving skills, basic accounting principles knowledge documentation skills, research and resolution skills, data analysis and multi-tasking skills
- Thorough knowledge of applicable accounts payable/general ledger systems and procedures, financial chart of accounts and corporate procedures
- Ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing
- Ability to interact with employees and vendors in a professional manner
- Ability to work independently and with a team in a fast-paced and high volume environment with emphasis on accuracy and timeliness
WHAT WE OFFER
- A dynamic and fast-growing environment where you can drive your future
- A highly talented, passionate and international team
- A modern working environment with height-adjustable desks
- Employee restaurant onsite (incl. complimentary soft drinks, juices and coffee)
- Various discounts
- A free cruise for you and your +1 every two years
- Regular company events, e.g. sports games, BBQ, cooking classes
Good knowledge of the English language is required.
JOIN OUR FAMILY
As the World’s Leading River Cruise Line® and the #1 Ocean Cruise Line, we are constantly innovating our business and growing our fleet. With more than 64 river ships and 6 ocean vessels cruising across 6 continents, we are the largest, most award-winning company in the industry. There is tremendous opportunity to join our dynamically growing company — whether on board our ships or in our corporate offices.
Viking Cruises was founded in Russia in 1997. The company established headquarters in Los Angeles, California in 2000 and through rapid expansion has enjoyed double-digit growth in recent years. With operational headquarters in Basel, Switzerland, Viking provides travel experiences for guests with an interest in geography, culture and history.
The award-winning Viking Longships offer a variety of stateroom categories and true two-room suites with full-size verandas. Onboard amenities include a restaurant, bar & lounge, library and expansive sun deck. River cruises range from 8 to 23 days, with itineraries featuring Europe’s Rhine, Main, Danube, Seine, Rhône, Douro, Moselle, Elbe, Dordogne, Garonne and Gironde Rivers; Russia’s Volga, Neva and Svir; Ukraine’s Dnieper; Egypt’s Nile; China’s Yangtze; and Southeast Asia’s Mekong.
In 2015, Viking introduced its first ocean ship with the christening of the 930-guest all-veranda Viking Star. One year later, Viking launched its second ocean ship, Viking Sea, which was joined by sister ships Viking Sky and Viking Sun in 2017 and by Viking Orion in 2018. The fleet welcomes Viking Jupiter in 2019. Four more yet-to-be-named ships are scheduled to launch by 2023. Ocean itineraries are designed to maximize the amount of time travelers spend in their destination. These enriching itineraries include base and combination cruises sailing to Scandinavia and Northern Europe, the Mediterranean, the Caribbean, Australia and New Zealand, Asia, Alaska, the Americas, and Africa.