Operations & Development Analyst
Viking River Cruises is the world’s leading river cruise company, offering scenic cruises along the rivers of Europe, Russia, China, Egypt and Southeast Asia. Viking is the industry leader with 50% of the North American market share and has been honored multiple times as the top river cruise line on Condé Nast Traveler’s “Gold List” and Travel + Leisure’s “World’s Best” Awards, as well as recognized as the World’s Leading River Cruise Operator at the World Travel Awards.
Since its inception in 1997, the company has grown to a fleet of over 70 river vessels providing unique, deluxe vacations to experienced travelers with an interest in geography, culture and history. Seven years ago, the company began a $1 billion investment program, upgrading the river cruise fleet, and the company is currently growing at an annual rate of +20%. In addition, four years ago Viking entered the Ocean cruise market with a series of brand-new ocean-going vessels.
PURPOSE OF POSITION
Are you a young, driven professional looking for an opportunity to develop your professional skills in a dynamic and stimulating environment? Then we would love you to join our River Operations team as Operations & Development Analyst.
As Operations & Development Analyst, you will be part of the Onboard Operations Department, reporting to the Director of Onboard Operations and working closely with the VP of Onboard Operations as well as with other key leaders in the company. You will be located in Basel, Switzerland and you will be required to travel about 10-20% of your time.
Working in operations, your work will involve virtually every aspect of the business with the overall objective to improve Viking River Cruises’ performance and our guests’ experience. You will drive projects to maximize our operational effectiveness, reduce costs, increase revenue and improve our product.
You will provide executives with periodic reporting, and key analytical and business insights, obtained through in-depth analysis to enable solid, fact- based business decisions. You will also be responsible to support the implementation of these insights to transform the business.
Join the leading and fastest-growing cruise line in the industry and make an impact on our business from day one, being placed in the thick of the action. You will have endless opportunities to continually build new skills and addressing new problems, and as an analyst you'll embark on a career path that will help you to maximize your potential with skills that are applicable to all career trajectories in our industry. Your analytical, interpersonal, creative thinking, business management and leadership skills will be called upon from day one!
- Manage and publish periodic reports related to quality, cost, revenue and other relevant operational metrics across the business
- Take responsibility for identifying information sources, gathering and interpreting data, and presenting findings to the Operations team
- Provide the Vice President of Onboard Operations with analytical insights and executive presentations to support the ongoing strategy development
- Help identify opportunities to improve performance across the operations
- Develop and communicate comprehensive analysis to support strategic decision making, either through use of data from Vikings ERP systems, or through on-site observations onboard Vikings vessels
- Collaborate with Directors, Managers, VP and SVP across the department in building improvement solutions and implementation plans
- Drive the design and implementation of strategic improvement projects, in collaboration with key management different departments.
- Bachelor or Master degree, ideally in a scientific or business field
- Robust analytical skillset, self-learner, curious and critical thinker
- Excellent English skills, German is a plus
- Good communicator, with excellent presentations skills
- Ability to work independently, and prioritize allocation of time across multiple projects to meet deadlines
- Proficient in Microsoft Excel and Power Point
- PowerBI and mySQL knowledge is a plus
WHAT WE OFFER
- Flexible working hours
- Onsite employee restaurant (including complimentary soft drinks, juices and coffee)
- Regular company events, e.g. sports activities and cooking classes
- A modern working environment with height-adjustable desks
- A dynamic and fast-growing environment where you can drive your future
- A free cruise for you and your +1 every two years
- A highly talented, passionate and international team
If you are interested, please apply via our website www.vikingcruises.com/careers including the following documents in English:
- A one-page cover letter
- Your resume
- Relevant references
Good knowledge of the English language is required.
JOIN OUR FAMILY
As the World’s Leading River Cruise Line® and the #1 Ocean Cruise Line, we are constantly innovating our business and growing our fleet. With more than 64 river ships and 6 ocean vessels cruising across 6 continents, we are the largest, most award-winning company in the industry. There is tremendous opportunity to join our dynamically growing company — whether on board our ships or in our corporate offices.
Viking Cruises was founded in Russia in 1997. The company established headquarters in Los Angeles, California in 2000 and through rapid expansion has enjoyed double-digit growth in recent years. With operational headquarters in Basel, Switzerland, Viking provides travel experiences for guests with an interest in geography, culture and history.
The award-winning Viking Longships offer a variety of stateroom categories and true two-room suites with full-size verandas. Onboard amenities include a restaurant, bar & lounge, library and expansive sun deck. River cruises range from 8 to 23 days, with itineraries featuring Europe’s Rhine, Main, Danube, Seine, Rhône, Douro, Moselle, Elbe, Dordogne, Garonne and Gironde Rivers; Russia’s Volga, Neva and Svir; Ukraine’s Dnieper; Egypt’s Nile; China’s Yangtze; and Southeast Asia’s Mekong.
In 2015, Viking introduced its first ocean ship with the christening of the 930-guest all-veranda Viking Star. One year later, Viking launched its second ocean ship, Viking Sea, which was joined by sister ships Viking Sky and Viking Sun in 2017 and by Viking Orion in 2018. The fleet welcomes Viking Jupiter in 2019. Four more yet-to-be-named ships are scheduled to launch by 2023. Ocean itineraries are designed to maximize the amount of time travelers spend in their destination. These enriching itineraries include base and combination cruises sailing to Scandinavia and Northern Europe, the Mediterranean, the Caribbean, Australia and New Zealand, Asia, Alaska, the Americas, and Africa.