Vessel type: Ocean-going cruise ship
Purpose of Position
The Cruise Consultant is a vital member of the Viking Ocean crew. Our Cruise Consultants are tasked with representing the Viking brand and promoting future cruises to guests who are currently sailing with us. The growth of the company, and the onboard sales program, depends upon the sales generated by each Consultant. You will provide guests with an exceptional, efficient booking experience, by being a Viking subject matter expert and a confident closer. As such, one must bring their previous sales experience, along with a dynamic, outgoing & professional personality. Success is measured in your ability to meet & exceed sales goals and all responsibilities relating to a Cruise Consultant as per Viking Cruises company standards.
- Provide efficient, thorough sales consultations daily
- Engage with guests to build excitement toward booking their next Viking journey
- Drive traffic to sales office by being a welcome, friendly presence about the ship
- Secure deposits on future cruise bookings by confidently asking for sale
- Deliver a thoughtful, informative sales presentation in the Star Theater
- Convert guests at a rate of 14% and above to meet sales goals
- Be a subject matter expert on Viking river & ocean cruise products
- Be a subject matter expert on Viking river & ocean cruise policies
- Efficient, knowledgeable use of our booking system, Evolution (NVS)
- Deliver a thorough voyage report with sales figures and notes on results at end of every cruise
- Manage appointment book, with ability to account for how time was utilized
- Manage the marketing of onboard sales program through pre-established marketing pieces
- Appear on iTV program Viking Today to promote yourself and the sales program
- Set office hours to maximize guest interaction potential
- Host Viking Explorer Society function 1x per cruise
- Lead ship tours as needed
- Assist Hotel GM as needed
- Work with hotel GM to ensure you are maximizing opportunities for outreach
- Engage with guests during daily shore excursion farewell on gangway
- Be familiar with the ship’s safety and security procedures relating to the Hotel Department in respect of any eventuality
Onboard: Hotel General Manager / Financial Officer
Shore Side: Sales Manager, Onboard Sales
Receives instructions from: General Manager / Financial Officer / Sales Manager
- Previous 1 – 3 years’ experience in a sales role, with track record of success
- Previous experience in a sales role on ocean vessels preferred
- Previous travel sales experience a plus
- Confident closer who assumes the sale and asks for payment without being pushy
- Efficient “soft-seller,” with whom guests are put at ease
- Computer knowledge (Excel, PowerPoint, MXP, NVS) an advantage
- Excellent English, written and spoken an asset
- Service oriented and guest focused, positive personality and professional experience
- Outgoing self-starter, who can self-manage without a lot of supervision
- Flexible and stress resistant, team player, shows commitment
Good knowledge of the English language is required.
JOIN OUR FAMILY
As the World’s Leading River Cruise Line® and the #1 Ocean Cruise Line, we are constantly innovating our business and growing our fleet. With more than 64 river ships and 6 ocean vessels cruising across 6 continents, we are the largest, most award-winning company in the industry. There is tremendous opportunity to join our dynamically growing company — whether on board our ships or in our corporate offices.
Viking Cruises was founded in Russia in 1997. The company established headquarters in Los Angeles, California in 2000 and through rapid expansion has enjoyed double-digit growth in recent years. With operational headquarters in Basel, Switzerland, Viking provides travel experiences for guests with an interest in geography, culture and history.
The award-winning Viking Longships offer a variety of stateroom categories and true two-room suites with full-size verandas. Onboard amenities include a restaurant, bar & lounge, library and expansive sun deck. River cruises range from 8 to 23 days, with itineraries featuring Europe’s Rhine, Main, Danube, Seine, Rhône, Douro, Moselle, Elbe, Dordogne, Garonne and Gironde Rivers; Russia’s Volga, Neva and Svir; Ukraine’s Dnieper; Egypt’s Nile; China’s Yangtze; and Southeast Asia’s Mekong.
In 2015, Viking introduced its first ocean ship with the christening of the 930-guest all-veranda Viking Star. One year later, Viking launched its second ocean ship, Viking Sea, which was joined by sister ships Viking Sky and Viking Sun in 2017 and by Viking Orion in 2018. The fleet welcomes Viking Jupiter in 2019. Four more yet-to-be-named ships are scheduled to launch by 2023. Ocean itineraries are designed to maximize the amount of time travelers spend in their destination. These enriching itineraries include base and combination cruises sailing to Scandinavia and Northern Europe, the Mediterranean, the Caribbean, Australia and New Zealand, Asia, Alaska, the Americas, and Africa.