Senior Tax Manager
PURPOSE OF POSITION
The Senior Manager Tax will be responsible for managing compliance and reporting requirements for the groups European entities in various countries. Additionally, he/ she will partner with a number of the finance teams to implement strategies, policies, processes. You will become a pivotal member of the team and work collaboratively with the VP of Finance Europe on a variety of ad-hoc projects whilst promoting awareness across the business. This function focuses on compliance, ensuring the Company meets all tax obligations by preparing and submitting tax filings and maximizing VAT refunds in a timely fashion. Alternatively, he/she will advise management on how to minimize tax liabilities at the group level. The Senior Manager Tax reports directly to the VP of Finance Europe.
- Clarify VAT treatment upon new transactions;
- Ensure proper issuance of documents related to VAT;
- Maintain filing system for declaration purposes;
- Responsible for timely and accurate reporting of VAT transactions;
- Responsible for VAT declarations and treatments;
- Check upon VAT clauses in contracts;
- Set up VAT documentation and keep it updated;
- Maintain a manual for VAT treatments for vendors’ and accounting personnel’s use and have them trained accordingly;
- Performing monthly/quarterly/annual VAT reconciliations
- Reviewing monthly VAT journals
- Liaising with internal teams including AP, finance and production to obtain necessary information for indirect tax processes
- Assist in the administration of the period end close process for the finance team, ensuring that relevant deadlines are met
- Analysis and support with implementation of changes to VAT legislations
- Liaise with VAT consultants in various countries;
- Maintain contact with VAT Tax Authorities as well as assisting possible audits upon necessity;
- Set Up VAT codes in the system including related reports;
- Other general VAT related tasks and reports upon need
- Responsibility for ensuring compliance of excise duty data collection, review, consolidation, preparation and payment of monthly duty liability.
- Responsibility for ensuring accuracy and completeness of accounting for excise duty in the general ledger
- Responsibility for ensuring any changes in the business are understood and the appropriate actions planned and taken to ensure properly reporting and compliance.
- Building and maintaining strong working relationships with all excise duty stakeholders
GENERAL TAXES INLCUDING INCOME TAXES
- Researching, analyzing and interpreting changing tax legislation in both Switzerland and EU;
- Preparing and submitting income tax returns by the deadline;
- Liaising and negotiating with varying tax authorities;
- Producing reports as needed
- Part-Qualified / Qualified accountant
- Possesses and demonstrates real analytical skill and can apply a logical approach to new challenges
- Be a strong communicator and possess an ability to develop trusting and credible relationships at all levels of the business and across various teams
- Have a questioning and inquisitive mind - not afraid to ask questions or challenge convention, nor to drive improvements and efficiencies as appropriate
- Able to analyse and interpret significant quantities of financial data and relate back to business issues.
- Be flexible and adaptable, understand the overall goals of the team and actively seek to help achieve them
- Ambitious, enthusiastic and looking to progress within a reputable and fast moving organisation.
- MS Excel - advanced level, to be able to create spreadsheets and formulas
- Excellent German and English skills (written & verbal); French is an advantage
- Experience in the cruise industry and in with Navision software is an asset
- Stress resistant, calm under pressure, team player and with a positive appearance
- Excellent computer skills, must be able to work independently
WHAT WE OFFER
- Flexible working hours
- Regular company events, e.g. sports games, BBQ, cooking classes
- Onsite employee restaurant (including complimentary coffee and soft drinks)
- A modern working environment with height-adjustable desks
- A dynamic and fast-growing environment where you can drive your future
- A free cruise for you and your +1 every two years
- A highly talented, passionate and international team
- Discounts on cultural events and sports activities
Good knowledge of the English language is required.
JOIN OUR FAMILY
As the World’s Leading River Cruise Line® and the #1 Ocean Cruise Line, we are constantly innovating our business and growing our fleet. With more than 64 river ships and 6 ocean vessels cruising across 6 continents, we are the largest, most award-winning company in the industry. There is tremendous opportunity to join our dynamically growing company — whether on board our ships or in our corporate offices.
Viking Cruises was founded in Russia in 1997. The company established headquarters in Los Angeles, California in 2000 and through rapid expansion has enjoyed double-digit growth in recent years. With operational headquarters in Basel, Switzerland, Viking provides travel experiences for guests with an interest in geography, culture and history.
The award-winning Viking Longships offer a variety of stateroom categories and true two-room suites with full-size verandas. Onboard amenities include a restaurant, bar & lounge, library and expansive sun deck. River cruises range from 8 to 23 days, with itineraries featuring Europe’s Rhine, Main, Danube, Seine, Rhône, Douro, Moselle, Elbe, Dordogne, Garonne and Gironde Rivers; Russia’s Volga, Neva and Svir; Ukraine’s Dnieper; Egypt’s Nile; China’s Yangtze; and Southeast Asia’s Mekong.
In 2015, Viking introduced its first ocean ship with the christening of the 930-guest all-veranda Viking Star. One year later, Viking launched its second ocean ship, Viking Sea, which was joined by sister ships Viking Sky and Viking Sun in 2017 and by Viking Orion in 2018. The fleet welcomes Viking Jupiter in 2019. Four more yet-to-be-named ships are scheduled to launch by 2023. Ocean itineraries are designed to maximize the amount of time travelers spend in their destination. These enriching itineraries include base and combination cruises sailing to Scandinavia and Northern Europe, the Mediterranean, the Caribbean, Australia and New Zealand, Asia, Alaska, the Americas, and Africa.