Chinese-speaking Senior Accountant
PURPOSE OF POSITION
Due to the expansion of our Ocean fleet into the Chinese market, we are looking for an additional team member to support our Finance Ocean team.
The Senior Accountant ensures the integrity of accounting information by recording, verifying, consolidating, and entering transactions. He/she reports to the Director of New Development. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, reconciliation of the general ledger accounts, financial reporting, support of the audit process, as well as financial profitability analysis and other special projects as assigned.
This position is based in our Head Office in Basel, Switzerland. Please note that we can only accept applicants who are eligible to work in Switzerland or in possession of a valid Swiss work permit.
- Perform tasks related to general ledger accounting (journal entries, month-end accruals, account and bank reconciliations, account analysis, support schedules, etc.)
- Prepare ad hoc reports and supporting schedules periodically by collecting, analyzing and summarizing account information in accordance with the monthly close schedule
- Assist with analyzing financial statements monthly and report on variances to prior periods and to budget/forecast
- Responsible for maintaining and verifying the accuracy of the general ledger
- Assist with preparing tax corporate and statutory reporting requirements
- Assist with financial audits, including preparing supporting documentation and walkthrough of accounting processes
- Maintain bank accounts by requesting disbursements and review and reconcile bank balances per the bank statements to the general ledger
- Research accounting issues and propose appropriate accounting treatment
- Assist in documentation and monitoring of internal controls
- Defines and communicates group reporting requirements to the finance and accounting team in China, including preparation of group reporting instructions, deadlines, reporting packages, and accounting policy manuals
- Oversee the period end close process and liaise with the Controller based in China and finance and accounting management based in Basel and Los Angeles to prepare monthly reporting packages
- Financial profitability and planning analysis on an as requested basis
- Other projects as assigned
- Strong understanding of accounting theory
- Several years of experience in accounting
- Certified Accountant
- Fluent English and Chinese skills, both verbal and in written
- Good knowledge of IFRS and Chinese GAAP
- Experience in an international environment is preferred
- Highly detail-oriented and organized in work
- Ability to meet assigned deadlines
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to act and operate independently with minimal daily direction from manager to accomplish objectives
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office applications; knowledge of MS Dynamics would be an asset
- Ability to work cooperatively and collaboratively with all levels of employees, management, and external parties to maximize performance, creativity, problem solving, and results
WHAT WE OFFER
- Flexible working hours
- Onsite employee restaurant (including complimentary soft drinks, juices and coffee)
- Regular company events, e.g. sports games, BBQ, cooking classes
- A modern working environment with height-adjustable desks
- A free cruise for you and your +1 every two years
- Discounts on cultural events and sports activities
Good knowledge of the English language is required.
JOIN OUR FAMILY
As the World’s Leading River Cruise Line® and the #1 Ocean Cruise Line, we are constantly innovating our business and growing our fleet. With more than 64 river ships and 6 ocean vessels cruising across 6 continents, we are the largest, most award-winning company in the industry. There is tremendous opportunity to join our dynamically growing company — whether on board our ships or in our corporate offices.
Viking Cruises was founded in Russia in 1997. The company established headquarters in Los Angeles, California in 2000 and through rapid expansion has enjoyed double-digit growth in recent years. With operational headquarters in Basel, Switzerland, Viking provides travel experiences for guests with an interest in geography, culture and history.
The award-winning Viking Longships offer a variety of stateroom categories and true two-room suites with full-size verandas. Onboard amenities include a restaurant, bar & lounge, library and expansive sun deck. River cruises range from 8 to 23 days, with itineraries featuring Europe’s Rhine, Main, Danube, Seine, Rhône, Douro, Moselle, Elbe, Dordogne, Garonne and Gironde Rivers; Russia’s Volga, Neva and Svir; Ukraine’s Dnieper; Egypt’s Nile; China’s Yangtze; and Southeast Asia’s Mekong.
In 2015, Viking introduced its first ocean ship with the christening of the 930-guest all-veranda Viking Star. One year later, Viking launched its second ocean ship, Viking Sea, which was joined by sister ships Viking Sky and Viking Sun in 2017 and by Viking Orion in 2018. The fleet welcomes Viking Jupiter in 2019. Four more yet-to-be-named ships are scheduled to launch by 2023. Ocean itineraries are designed to maximize the amount of time travelers spend in their destination. These enriching itineraries include base and combination cruises sailing to Scandinavia and Northern Europe, the Mediterranean, the Caribbean, Australia and New Zealand, Asia, Alaska, the Americas, and Africa.