MISSISSIPPI - Assistant Housekeeper
In August 2022, Viking will expand its destination-focused travel experiences with the launch of Mississippi River cruises. Its first 386-guests custom vessel, Viking Mississippi, will sail voyages on the Lower and Upper Mississippi, ranging from 8 – 15 days, between New Orleans and St. Paul. Viking’s arrival will bring modern river cruising to the Mississippi and will represent a major commitment to tourism and economic development in many communities along the river. The new state-of-the-art Viking Mississippi is inspired by Viking’s award-winning river and ocean ships and will feature clean Scandinavian design, as well as public spaces that are familiar to guests but that have been reimagined for Mississippi River voyages. Purpose-built for the Mississippi and currently under construction in Louisiana, the five-deck ship’s cutting-edge design, expansive windows and comfortable amenities will make it the largest and most modern cruise ship in the region.
PURPOSE OF POSITION
- The Assistant Housekeeper supports the Executive Housekeeper to oversee a variety of housekeeping functions to ensure the smooth running of the daily operation of the Housekeeping Department
- It is your responsibility to create a friendly, guest-oriented service culture to ensure Guest satisfaction and repeat business, which in turn, will increase revenue and profitability of the company.
- Monitor par levels of all lockers within the relevant working areas and ensure that sufficient supplies are available for the Stateroom Host; arrange for the collection of general store items as per the schedule and ensure that all items are properly distributed to lockers within the relevant working areas; complete the weekly general supply requisition and submit the requisition for approval.
- Inform the Executive Housekeeper of any Guest related issues, resolving these issues according to Viking’s STAR Service Standards; follow up on any special requests from Guests.
- Ensure that all logs are signed and up-to-date in the designated housekeeping areas, follow up & keep track of all special cleaning matrixes including cleaning of curtains, carpet shampoo, furniture, shower head sanitation, etc.
- Regularly inspect Housekeeping areas including Guest Staterooms, public areas, corridors and lockers to ensure that these areas are according to company policies and procedures and employee health and fire/chemical safety. Any damages/malfunctions found during such inspection must be corrected accordingly and reported to the Executive Housekeeper.
- Lead and support a multi-cultural team, maximizing crew satisfaction, productivity and retention.
- Meet with Team Leaders on a daily basis for “The Daily Reunion”, to provide feedback & operational updates as well as to ensure that your department is performing to Viking’s STAR Service Standards.
- Provide the highest level of comfort and service to Guests and consistently maintain an impeccable standard of cleanliness and hygiene in all areas, as per Viking’s STAR Service Standards and all Public
- Health Policies; manage service according to Guest flow, embarkation & disembarkation, sea da y activities & other activities.
- Provide competent leadership to all direct reports. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to: Conducting performance reviews, including discipline as needed and onboard training, succession planning, crew communication and recognition.
- Ensure you always wear the appropriate and task specific Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) as required for your duties onboard. Always use correct lifting techniques to prevent injuries.
- Uphold impeccable grooming standards within your team at all times by complying with Viking’s Image and Uniform Standards.
- Ensure that company property is appropriately secured and protected, especially during rough weather conditions, in order to prevent unnecessary loss or damage.
- Demonstrates outstanding flexibility: able to work at different times of the day, under pressure and reflect a positive can-do attitude and the best image of Viking at all times.
- Become knowledgeable and ensure your team are knowledgeable about itinerary-related ports of call, shore excursions and shipboard activities such as events, entertainment and programs.
- Positively contribute to achieving/succeeding Housekeeping KPI goals (quality & financial).
- Have full knowledge about safety & security procedures and can operate in line with all Public Health, Environmental and Safety & Security Policies; participate in all training concerning onboard training, safety & security, fire prevention, evacuation exercises as required by the company
- Prepare for & participate in all Public Health inspections onboard.
This document describes the primary activities, duties and responsibilities of this position. Your manager or supervisor may assign additional duties and responsibilities to you.
- A required minimum of 2 years plus experience as an Assistant Housekeeper or similar position, within a 5 Star hospitality environment, and experience with ship operations of 500+ staterooms required; must have experience in leading a multi-cultural team.
- Fluent in English - must be able to address any kind of information in an adequate manner with excellent oral English communication skills – the ability to speak an additional language is an advantage.
- Guest-focused, service-oriented, positive personality, professional appearance and impeccable hygiene standards are required; team builder with exceptional motivational skills and coaching ability is required; must have a keen eye for cleanliness and attention to detail.
- Must be proficient with PC based databases, spread sheets, and word processing systems.
- Must be flexible and stress resistant, team player, shows commitment.
- Business Administration or Hotel Management degree is preferred.
- Must have excellent knowledge of all Public Health Policies.
MANDATORY REQUIREMENTS & AT WILL EMPLOYMENT:
- Ability to provide proof of eligibility to work in the United States
- Ability to work as necessary in order to complete all assigned tasks and fulfill responsibilities in your assigned role.
- Ability to meet moderate physical demands, including lifting, bending, climbing, and long periods of standing or walking
- Ability to satisfactorily pass a pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for Marijuana and other controlled substances. We are a Drug Free Workplace.
- Viking Cruises is an At-Will Employer. As such your, employment with Viking is a voluntary one and is subject to termination with or without cause or notice, at any time by you or Viking. Nothing in this document or in any oral or written statement shall be interpreted to conflict with or limit the right to terminate employment at-will.
GUIDELINES AND REGULATIONS
- Implement Standard Operating Procedures & STAR Service Standards within the department.
- Ensure appropriate appearance and clothing according to the updated Grooming Standards.
- The company reserves the right to change/extend this job description if necessary, at any point of time during her/his employment
Viking is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity, and sexual orientation), national origin, age, disability or genetic information.
Good knowledge of the English language is required.
THE VIKING STORY
More than 20 years ago, Viking® set the standard for what river cruising should be, and today we are the leader that all others follow. In 2015, we took the same small ship, destination-focused experience to the seas and reinvented ocean cruising. Over the years Viking has won numerous ocean and river cruise line awards from Condé Nast Traveler, Cruise Critic, Travel + Leisure, Travel Weekly and more.
Viking is a strong and dynamic company—with a growing fleet of more than 80 river ships and seven ocean vessels cruising over 100 itineraries around the world.
JOIN THE VIKING FAMILY
If you have always dreamed of combining your love of travel with the ability to grow your career, consider a position at Viking. We are the world’s leading small ship cruise line, and there is tremendous potential to advance your career with us. As part of our crew, when your ship is docked at the many destinations we visit, you can explore ashore and refresh during your free time.
Additionally, with Viking’s award-winning service and thoughtfully curated onboard experiences, our guests are typically very satisfied. This, combined with Viking’s gratuity guidelines, means that you can expect to be well rewarded as an employee on board a Viking ship.