MISSISSIPPI - Waiter
In August 2022, Viking will expand its destination-focused travel experiences with the launch of Mississippi River cruises. Its first 386-guests custom vessel, Viking Mississippi, will sail voyages on the Lower and Upper Mississippi, ranging from 8 – 15 days, between New Orleans and St. Paul. Viking’s arrival will bring modern river cruising to the Mississippi and will represent a major commitment to tourism and economic development in many communities along the river. The new state-of-the-art Viking Mississippi is inspired by Viking’s award-winning river and ocean ships and will feature clean Scandinavian design, as well as public spaces that are familiar to guests but that have been reimagined for Mississippi River voyages. Purpose-built for the Mississippi and currently under construction in Louisiana, the five-deck ship’s cutting-edge design, expansive windows and comfortable amenities will make it the largest and most modern cruise ship in the region.
PURPOSE OF POSITION
- The Waiter ensures efficient food and beverage (F&B) operations and maintains high productivity, quality, and guest-service standards in accordance with Viking’s STAR Service Standards.
- It is your responsibility to create a friendly, guest-orientated service culture to ensure Guest satisfaction.
- Manage, control and organize the assigned service station, while supervising 2 to 4 Assistant Waiters and/or Restaurant attendants; manage, control & organize room service orders and dispatch, when instructed.
- Manage restaurant reservations and seating requirements, when instructed.
- Conduct stock takes and inventory, according to company procedures, as required.
- Learn and use appropriate food and wine terminology & pronunciation, to enhance the Guest's dining experience; become familiar with menu descriptions and wine lists, in order to discuss items appropriately with guests.
- Have full knowledge of Vikings F&B options & ships activities; present F&B menus to Guests, suggest dinner courses, appropriate wines and answer questions regarding menu and wine selections.
- Relay orders to the Galley, using the MXP Ordering Software; serve courses from the Galley and beverages from various locations, following safe Company Alcohol Serving Policies.
- Serve food and beverages efficiently and in a courteous manner, according to company standards and procedures.
- Prepare and perform F&B activities (i.e. cocktail parties and Tea Time) and special events, as assigned.
- Keep & store any assigned inventory stock, in accordance with set par-levels, following Safety and Sanitation Rules and Regulations.
- Ensure assigned areas are set up in accordance with the direction from the relevant Supervisors and Viking’s Operations Manuals and Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs).
- Minimize equipment loss/damage, and maintain immaculate cleanliness standards in relevant areas, by applying safe working policies and procedures, according to all Public Health Policies, and ensuring that all equipment is sanitized and returned accordingly, after each use; clean & polish equipment, glassware and flatware.
• Ensure mise-en-place for all areas of responsibility are prepared 15 minutes prior to service.
- Partake in embarkation duty, as directed, including but not limited to luggage assistance, escorting Guests and any other related duties; participate in storing, as assigned or directed.
- Participate in “The Daily Reunion” every day to understand your team’s operational needs and to ensure consistent adherence to Viking’s STAR Service Standards.
- Provide the highest level of comfort and sales-oriented service to Guests and consistently maintain an impeccable standard of cleanliness and hygiene in assigned areas, as per Viking’s STAR Service Standards and all Public Health Policies; proactively prepare service according to Guest flow, embarkation & disembarkation, sea day activities & other activities.
- Ensure you always wear the appropriate and task specific Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) as required for your duties onboard. Always use correct lifting techniques to prevent injuries.
- Ensure that company property is appropriately secured and protected, especially during rough weather conditions, in order to prevent unnecessary loss or damage.
- Demonstrates outstanding flexibility: able to work at different times of the day, under pressure and reflect a positive can-do attitude and the best image of Viking at all times.
- Become knowledgeable about itinerary-related ports of call, shore excursions and shipboard activities such as events, entertainment and programs.
- Have full knowledge about safety & security procedures and can operate in line with all Public Health, Environmental and Safety & Security Policies; participate in all training concerning onboard training, safety & security, fire prevention, evacuation exercises as required by the company.
- Take ownership of the assigned areas of responsibilities in any F&B outlet, according to direction from the relevant Supervisor; assist in other departments and/or perform additional duties, as necessary.
- A required minimum of 2 years plus experience as an Assistant Waiter or similar position, within a 5 Star hospitality and/or restaurant environment; must have basic F&B knowledge; must demonstrate the ability to work independently; shipboard experience is an advantage.
- Must be a minimum age of twenty-one (21) years old; physically fit and in good health; must be able to carry heavy items and stand, kneel and bend for prolonged periods of time.
- Fluent in English - must have excellent English communication skills to clearly communicate to the Restaurant Team and Guests - the ability to speak additional languages is an advantage.
- Flexible, stress resistant, committed team player and exceptional work ethic is required.
- Guest-focused, service-oriented, positive personality, professional appearance and impeccable hygiene standards, with excellent knowledge of all Public Health Policies are required.
MANDATORY REQUIREMENTS & AT WILL EMPLOYMENT:
- Ability to provide proof of eligibility to work in the United States
- Ability to work as necessary in order to complete all assigned tasks and fulfill responsibilities in your assigned role.
- Ability to meet moderate physical demands, including lifting, bending, climbing, and long periods of standing or walking
- Ability to satisfactorily pass a pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for Marijuana and other controlled substances. We are a Drug Free Workplace.
- Viking Cruises is an At-Will Employer. As such your, employment with Viking is a voluntary one and is subject to termination with or without cause or notice, at any time by you or Viking. Nothing in this document or in any oral or written statement shall be interpreted to conflict with or limit the right to terminate employment at-will.
GUIDELINES AND REGULATIONS
- Implement Standard Operating Procedures & STAR Service Standards within the department.
- Ensure appropriate appearance and clothing according to the updated Grooming Standards.
- The company reserves the right to change/extend this job description if necessary, at any point of time during her/his employment
Viking is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity, and sexual orientation), national origin, age, disability or genetic information.
Good knowledge of the English language is required.
THE VIKING STORY
More than 20 years ago, Viking® set the standard for what river cruising should be, and today we are the leader that all others follow. In 2015, we took the same small ship, destination-focused experience to the seas and reinvented ocean cruising. Over the years Viking has won numerous ocean and river cruise line awards from Condé Nast Traveler, Cruise Critic, Travel + Leisure, Travel Weekly and more.
Viking is a strong and dynamic company—with a growing fleet of more than 80 river ships and seven ocean vessels cruising over 100 itineraries around the world.
JOIN THE VIKING FAMILY
If you have always dreamed of combining your love of travel with the ability to grow your career, consider a position at Viking. We are the world’s leading small ship cruise line, and there is tremendous potential to advance your career with us. As part of our crew, when your ship is docked at the many destinations we visit, you can explore ashore and refresh during your free time.
Additionally, with Viking’s award-winning service and thoughtfully curated onboard experiences, our guests are typically very satisfied. This, combined with Viking’s gratuity guidelines, means that you can expect to be well rewarded as an employee on board a Viking ship.