MISSISSIPPI - Assistant Restaurant Manager
In August 2022, Viking will expand its destination-focused travel experiences with the launch of Mississippi River cruises. Its first 386-guests custom vessel, Viking Mississippi, will sail voyages on the Lower and Upper Mississippi, ranging from 8 – 15 days, between New Orleans and St. Paul. Viking’s arrival will bring modern river cruising to the Mississippi and will represent a major commitment to tourism and economic development in many communities along the river. The new state-of-the-art Viking Mississippi is inspired by Viking’s award-winning river and ocean ships and will feature clean Scandinavian design, as well as public spaces that are familiar to guests but that have been reimagined for Mississippi River voyages. Purpose-built for the Mississippi and currently under construction in Louisiana, the five-deck ship’s cutting-edge design, expansive windows and comfortable amenities will make it the largest and most modern cruise ship in the region.
A VIKING LEADERSHIP ROLE
As a Viking Shipboard Leader, you represent Viking’s values and leadership philosophy (Hávamál). You are a hospitality professional who demonstrates passion for excellence, who takes ownership for your areas of responsibility, and who believes in empowering your team with the skills, knowledge and tools to succeed. You are an exceptional role model for the Viking Family and have strong motivation to achieve the company’s goals and objectives. You are flexible, stress resistant, focused, and a truly committed team member.
PURPOSE OF POSITION
- The Assistant Restaurant Manager assits the Restaurant Manager to ensure efficient food and beverage (F&B) operations and maintains productivity, quality, and guest-service standards in accordance with Viking’s STAR Service Standards.
- You are required to be self-motivated and run outlets independently, continuously making the effort to coach and develop the Restaurant Team.
- It is your responsibility to create a friendly, guest-orientated service culture to ensure Guest satisfaction and repeat business, which in turn, will increase revenue and profitability of the company.
- Plan, schedule and assign staff to their relevant sections, accordingly; assist the Restaurant Manager with conducting daily menu presentations and organizing & executing F&B related ship functions and special events; greet and welcome Guests and check on their well-being, while on duty.
- Manage and control Guest reservations and seating, when instructed; communicate Guest allergies and special needs to relevant parties.
- Ensure professional and efficient communication with the Executive Chef, Galley Team and Bar Team.
- Conduct accurate monthly inventory’s and assist the Restaurant Manager with creating durable orders.
- Work within set restaurant-cost budgets; manage tasks related to inventory; conduct stock takes.
- Manage and control Restaurant Pest Management Logs in accordance with all Public Health Policies.
- In conjunction with the Restaurant Supervisor, regularly update the Restaurant Manager about the performance of the Restaurant Team; identify opportunities to improve service delivery in accordance with Viking’s STAR Service Standards, by incorporating feedback from the Restaurant Team.
- Minimize equipment loss/damage, and maintain immaculate cleanliness standards in relevant areas, by applying safe working policies and procedures, according to all Public Health Policies, and ensuring that all equipment is sanitized and returned accordingly, after each use.
- Regularly inspect that the mise-en-place for all areas are prepared 15 minutes prior to service.
- Plan, schedule and assign staff to their relevant sections, accordingly; monitor the Time & Attendance System.
- Lead and support a multi-cultural team, maximizing crew satisfaction, productivity and retention; meet with Team Leaders on a daily basis for “The Daily Reunion”, to provide feedback & operational updates as well as to ensure that your department is performing to Viking’s STAR Service Standards.
- Regularly inspect that the mise-en-place for all areas are prepared 15 minutes prior to service.
- Provide the highest level of comfort and service to Guests, as per Viking’s STAR Service Standards and all Public Health Policies; manage service according to Guest flow, embarkation & disembarkation, sea day activities & other activities.
- Identify potential STARS, and assist, train & lead them to success; implement and motivate a culture off ownership & responsibility and provide the necessary guidance/training and information to the Restaurant Team, in accordance with company standards and operational needs.
- Provide competent leadership to all direct reports. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to: Conducting performance reviews, including discipline as needed and onboard training, succession planning, crew communication and recognition.
- Ensure you always wear the appropriate and task specific Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) as required for your duties onboard. Always use correct lifting techniques to prevent injuries.
- Uphold impeccable grooming standards within your team at all times by complying with Viking’s Image and Uniform Standards.
- Ensure that company property is appropriately secured and protected, especially during rough weather conditions, in order to prevent unnecessary loss or damage.
- Demonstrates outstanding flexibility: able to work at different times of the day, under pressure and reflect a positive can-do attitude and the best image of Viking at all times.
- Become knowledgeable and ensure your team are knowledgeable about itinerary-related ports of call, shore excursions and shipboard activities such as events, entertainment and programs.
- Positively contribute to achieving/succeeding Restaurant KPI goals (quality & financial) for the Restaurant Department; have full knowledge about safety & security procedures and can operate in line with all Public Health, Environmental and Safety & Security Policies; participate in all training concerning onboard training, safety & security, fire prevention, evacuation exercises as required by the company.
This document describes the primary activities, duties and responsibilities of this position. Your manager or supervisor may assign additional duties and responsibilities to you.
- A required minimum of 2 years plus experience as a Assistant Restaurant Manager or similar position, within a 5 Star hospitality and/or restaurant environment; shipboard experience is required
- Must be a minimum age of twenty-one (21) years old; physically fit and in good health
- Fluent in English - must have excellent English communication skills to clearly communicate to the Restaurant Team and Guests. The ability to speak additional languages is an advantage.
- Must have experience in leading multi-cultural teams; flexible, stress resistant, committed team player;
- Guest-focused, service-oriented, positive personality, professional appearance and impeccable hygiene standards are required, with excellent knowledge of all Public Health Policies; team builder with exceptional work ethic, motivational skills and coaching abilities.
MANDATORY REQUIREMENTS & AT WILL EMPLOYMENT:
- Ability to provide proof of eligibility to work in the United States
- Ability to work as necessary in order to complete all assigned tasks and fulfill responsibilities in your assigned role.
- Ability to meet moderate physical demands, including lifting, bending, climbing, and long periods of standing or walking
- Ability to satisfactorily pass a pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for Marijuana and other controlled substances. We are a Drug Free Workplace.
- Viking Cruises is an At-Will Employer. As such your, employment with Viking is a voluntary one and is subject to termination with or without cause or notice, at any time by you or Viking. Nothing in this document or in any oral or written statement shall be interpreted to conflict with or limit the right to terminate employment at-will.
GUIDELINES AND REGULATIONS
- Implement Standard Operating Procedures & STAR Service Standards within the department.
- Ensure appropriate appearance and clothing according to the updated Grooming Standards.
- The company reserves the right to change/extend this job description if necessary, at any point of time during her/his employment
Viking is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity, and sexual orientation), national origin, age, disability or genetic information.
Good knowledge of the English language is required.
THE VIKING STORY
More than 20 years ago, Viking® set the standard for what river cruising should be, and today we are the leader that all others follow. In 2015, we took the same small ship, destination-focused experience to the seas and reinvented ocean cruising. Over the years Viking has won numerous ocean and river cruise line awards from Condé Nast Traveler, Cruise Critic, Travel + Leisure, Travel Weekly and more.
Viking is a strong and dynamic company—with a growing fleet of more than 80 river ships and seven ocean vessels cruising over 100 itineraries around the world.
JOIN THE VIKING FAMILY
If you have always dreamed of combining your love of travel with the ability to grow your career, consider a position at Viking. We are the world’s leading small ship cruise line, and there is tremendous potential to advance your career with us. As part of our crew, when your ship is docked at the many destinations we visit, you can explore ashore and refresh during your free time.
Additionally, with Viking’s award-winning service and thoughtfully curated onboard experiences, our guests are typically very satisfied. This, combined with Viking’s gratuity guidelines, means that you can expect to be well rewarded as an employee on board a Viking ship.