Employment Type: Fixed Term Contract
Reporting To: Executive Chef
Set a course for adventure with Princess Cruises! The employer of choice in the cruise industry, we operate a fleet of modern Love Boats each offering exceptional facilities and extensive professional development and recreational programs for our valued teammates who hail from more than 60 countries around the globe.
An iconic brand beloved by millions, we love people who love what they do and work together to help our guests create a lifetime of wonderful memories while providing friendly and attentive service like only Princess can.
As a member of the Princess Family, you’ll enjoy a truly adventurous career with excellent incentives, unlimited opportunities for growth, and ports of call that will leave you breathless.
As Chief Baker you will create lasting memories by providing exceptional service and beverage recommendations to all guests that selected Princess Cruises as their vacation getaway.
- Effectively manages the production and delivery of bakery items for all food outlets, always ensuring compliance with Company recipes and picture presentation as the minimum standard.
- Always ensures product quality through tasting and managing and participating in mise en place during production periods.
- Demonstrates knowledge of new trends and production methods and regularly seeks guidance from the Executive Chef on implementing suggestions.
- Always ensures that section recipe files are maintained and available to staff.
- Effectively manages the Bakery galley staff during all operational activities and service periods, ensuring adherence to Company standards.
- Conducts daily briefings with the Bakery galley team to discuss the previous day's operational performance and efficiency, and upcoming production and events.
- Always participates in daily meetings with Galley management to review the previous day's operational efficiency; offers suggestions for improvement.
- Participates in the Executive Chef's and Food and Beverage Director's meetings as appropriate.
- Observes each crewmember’s performance using the relevant role description as a guide and delivers prompt and appropriate correction, improvement, or reinforcement. Coaches and develops skilled, engaged team members to become the Consummate Host.
- Identifies top performers and mentors them for career advancement or promotion.
- Regularly collaborates with the Executive Chef to provide constructive and consistent appraisals to encourage Bakery galley staff to achieve their highest potential and advance as appropriate.
- Always monitors costs and expenditures of Bakery operations, and controls production levels, targets, and par levels to ensure they fall within the established budget.
- Always monitors consumption trends in the various outlets and sets production levels accordingly, consistently informing the Executive Chef of changes within an appropriate time frame.
- Always ensures that products are utilized for their intended application and that staff are monitored during production periods to ensure compliance.
- Cultivates and demonstrates effective working relationships with relevant internal customers and departments.
- Always ensures options are available for passengers with special dietary requirements/requests (gluten-free options, etc.).
- Always prepares special-occasion bakery items, including decorative items, as requested.
Skills, Knowledge & Expertise
- Degree in Bakery from a recognized culinary institution or three-year apprenticeship in lieu thereof.
- Minimum of 10 years experience in high-volume bakery operations from hotels/resorts or cruise ships.
- At least 2 years of experience as Chief Baker or equivalent role or at least 5 years as Chef De Partie Baker onboard cruise ships.
- Solid knowledge of international bakery recipes/preparation, USPH requirements, food safety and waste management.
- Cruise ship experience is strongly preferred.
- Strong supervisory and training skills.
- Fluent English language skills both verbal and written.
- Understanding of the foundation of guest service; ability and willingness to deliver outstanding service to our guests.
- Motivation to excel in all aspects of job duties and responsibilities.
- Personable communicator with outstanding social skills and a warm, friendly, and caring personality.
- Ability to continuously surprise and delight guests throughout their cruise experience.
- Commitment to establish and maintain courteous and professional working relationships in a diverse cultural environment.
Princess Cruises offers many benefits. This position is afforded comfortable, signle cabin accommodations, meals, exceptional amenities, and extensive learning and recreational programs available to all of our teammates.
Regardless of the rank or role, we are all one Princess team. Princess Cruises is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.
Our Culture Essentials… Stronger together
Speak Up – Respect & Protect – Improve – Communicate – Listen & Learn – Empower
Set sail on an exciting career course with Princess Cruises! One of the best-known names in cruising, Princess Cruises is a global cruise company operating a fleet of modern ships renowned for their innovative design and wide array of choices in dining, entertainment and amenities.
As a worldwide leader in premium cruising, Princess now offers the MedallionClass™ experience, an even more personalized vacation. Our smart ships feature everything from TrulyTouchless™ embarkation to on-demand delivery of drinks, food and more that makes cruising effortless and supports the wellbeing of our guests and teammates.
Our Princess team lives by our Shared Purpose and Core Values of Respect, Protect and Connect. We seek out people who want to share their passion for travel, work with the latest technology and join a friendly, diverse team to serve our guests and show them the world. We understand our responsibility to safeguard our teammates, our guests and our oceans, and our highest priority is to operate in a safe and socially responsible way every day.
As part of the Princess family, you’ll gain valuable cruise ship career experience representing one of the largest cruise lines in the world. We are extremely passionate about our work and offer a variety of reward programs to recognize employees who go above and beyond to provide our guests the best possible vacation experience.
Join our team and enjoy an adventurous career with great incentives, unlimited growth and worldwide travel opportunities.