Department: Guest Svc
Employment Type: Contract
Reporting To: Hotel Director
Manage efficiently, all guest and crew administration, finances in a manner consistent with Seabourn Cruise Line’s high standard of passenger service.
The Chief Purser is ultimately responsible to ensure the safe keeping of all onboard monies and documents. The Chief Purser needs to focus on the guest experience and ensure that any communication needed is done in a timely manner so as not to negatively impact the guests Seabourn experience. They should always ensure the well being of team members.
The Chief Purser reports to the Hotel Director for all hotel and financial matters onboard; to the Captain for all port operation matters including communication with agents and authorities; to fleet financial operations for all accounting, financial reporting and cash control; to port operations department for all matters concerning port operations and port clearances; and lastly to hotel operations for all matters relating to the position and duties.
The position has 5 professional level reports: Crew Purser 1, Asst. Crew Purser1, Night Auditor1, F&BAdministrator1, and Provision Master1.
- Liaising with agents and HODs for all Port Operation matters—handling of Immigration and Custom clearance.
- Communication ship, home offices and local agents.
- Control of ship’s documentation in/out ports.
- Control of Crew Purser Duties.
- Control of the Provision Master in financial, planning and controlling duties.
- Maintains ship’s funds and cash availability.
- Control of all cash accounts and central billing.
- Control of ship financial operation, reporting and statistics and internal auditing as required.
- Financial reporting to Seabourn.
- Supervision of all onboard printing.
- Concessionaire Manager supervision and liaison financial aspects only.
- Fluent English, written and spoken.
- A minimum of three years’ experience in the Pursers department on board a Seabourn or equivalent vessel plus appropriate on the job training for the Manager’s position as well as proper skills in accounting and administration
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Have exposure to budgeting techniques and financial analysis. Computer knowledge, (Word, Excel, Email, IBS)
- Patient, tactful, courteous.
- Able to work under pressure.
- Maintain confidentiality of all communications whether written, email, fax or telephone.
Physical Demands & Travel
For the safety of yourself and others on board certain physical abilities shall be maintained. Must be able to bend, climb, perform repetitive motion, and repetitively heavy lift.
Must maintain physical fitness to perform tasks associated with job.
- Passport – valid for a minimum of 6 month
- Flag state issued seaman book
- General flag state or flag state approved marine fitness medical United States C1/D visa
- English Marlin test at minimal score of 80%
- Pre-employment medical examination
Working on a cruise ship is very different from any land-based occupation. Working hours are longer and work is more intense due to the constant demand of the guests. You have to be very flexible in your working hours, which on occasion might have to be changed due to unforeseen circumstances. The Maritime Labour Convention of 2006 however strictly regulates these. Apart from the working hours there are strict rules which all members of the ship’s company need to adhere to as stipulated by the Master’s standing orders. You work in close proximity with your fellow crewmembers and therefore respect among all is essential.
Seabourn Cruise Line
With Seabourn's world renowned reputation for excellence and luxury, it is only right that we recruit only the very best people to enjoy career opportunities working on one of our ships. Seabourn Cruise Line is an excellent place to begin your career at sea as well as further develop your career within this exciting industry. Seabourn provides an intuitive and gracious service which is delivered by staff that are passionate about maximising the guest experience onboard. We are seeking hospitality professionals to join the onboard family. Start your exciting new career at sea with one of our entry level positions in the hotel department onboard. For those already in Hotel Management we have exciting management positions in Food and Beverage, Galley, Guest Services and Human Resources departments.
If you feel you have the fine art of delight, genuine and heartfelt hospitality then please apply today!