Refrigeration Engineer (Shipboard)
Refrigeration Engineer (Shipboard)
Employment Type: Fixed Term Contract
Reporting To: Ship Service Engineer
The Refrigeration Engineer is responsible for the maintenance, administration, supervision, and safe operation of all HVAC equipment and systems, refrigeration plants and systems, provisions equipment and air conditioning throughout the yacht. In carrying out their duties the Refrigeration Engineer will work in close co-operation with the Hotel and Nautical Departments to ensure the highest standards of safety, security, public health, environmental compliance, and service to Ladies and Gentlemen, is maintained. Promotes that all Gold Standards and Brand Culture are embraced by the team at all times, particularly when assisting guests and Ladies and Gentlemen.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the Lady or Gentleman for this job. Functions, duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice. All duties and responsibilities are to be performed in accordance with the Company's Safety, Quality and Environmental standards.
- Responsible for the HVAC air conditioning equipment, pre-heat, re-heat & catering cooling systems along with associated automation. Energy efficiency is to be optimized whilst ensuring that the required shipboard air quality and system conditions are sustained as a result of good operational practices and preventative maintenance routines
- Responsible for the Direct Expansion Central Plants (Compressor packs, Cold / Freezer Rooms & remotes) including automation, ensuring optimized energy efficient and correct operation. Retention of leak free plants, upkeep of F-Gas logbook reporting and ensuring a justifiable adequate onboard stock of refrigerant is maintained
- Responsible for the self-contained refrigerators, freezers, draught beer installations, air conditioning units, air purification and scent equipment around the vessel
- Initiates requisitions of supplies, spare parts and consumables to ensure critical spares are always at hand while maintaining close control of operational budgets
- Ensures maintenance and repair information is updated in the Planned Maintenance System and over-sees scheduling, supervision and completion of all maintenance and repairs as directed by the Chief Engineer & Ship Service Engineer
- Directs the daily activities of the Refrigeration Assistant. Ensures work is completed to the highest standards of safety and environmental compliance. Ensures all personnel work in accordance with ILO, MLC, STCW and other regulatory constraints, and maintains close control of budgeted overtime
- Completes maintenance and conditional reporting of Air intake Plenums, ducts, silencers, UV sterilization equipment, fan rooms and condensate systems
- Responsible for the below Technical Department responsibilities as defined in the Company’s Safety Management System; Direct Expansion Hotel Equipment and Air Conditioning
- Supports newbuild operations to include work in the shipyard as appropriate
- Model and hold others accountable for promoting the Gold Standards, respect and fair treatment
- Ensures the Daily execution of Line-up in accordance with company standards and Brand Guidelines
- Sets the department’s expectations for desired behavior, knowledge and skill levels
- Coaches others by providing constructive feedback; helps others identify developmental needs and monitors progress; promoting an environment where everyone is valued and included
- Demonstrates alignment with corporate strategies and initiatives while ensuring alignment throughout the yacht organization
- Valid Standards of Training, Certification and Watchkeeping for Seafarers (STCW) and flag certification for the duration of the contract and appropriate to position
- Must have served a formal refrigeration apprenticeship and have sailed as an equally ranked Marine Refrigeration Officer for at least three (3) years, or have been employed as a shore-based Service Manager for a minimum of one (1) year
- City & Guilds 2079 Category One (1) F-Gas certification (or equivalent) preferred; if not certified candidate must gain certification within the 90-day probationary period, or before rejoining the vessel
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; use hands to touch, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; talk or hear; and taste or smell. The Lady or Gentleman must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
- All Yacht Ladies and Gentlemen must be physically able to participate in emergency lifesaving procedures and drills. Full use and range of arms and legs as well as full visual, verbal and hearing abilities are required to receive and give instructions in the event of an emergency including the lowering of lifeboats. Ability to lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
- All Yacht Ladies and Gentlemen must be able to communicate in the English language in order to understand and interpret written procedures. This includes the ability to give and receive instructions in written and verbal forms and to effectively present information and respond to questions from guests, supervisors and co-workers.
You will need valid STCW certificates to apply for this position. Find an STCW course near you.
The Ritz-Carlton Yacht Collection
At more than 80 award-winning properties worldwide, The Ritz-Carlton Ladies and Gentlemen create experiences so exceptional that long after a guest stays with us, the experience stays with them. As the premier worldwide provider of luxury experiences, we set the standard for rare and special luxury service throughout the world.
The Ritz-Carlton has taken the legendary service to sea with The Ritz-Carlton Yacht Collection and seeks experienced luxury cruise hospitality professionals to become one of our Ladies and Gentlemen.
Designed to combine the luxury lifestyle of The Ritz-Carlton® and the casual freedom of a yachting vacation, The Ritz-Carlton Yacht Collection will offer voyages on the first of three custom-built yachts in 2020. Calling on unique and distinguished destinations alike, most voyages range from seven to ten nights, offering many overnight calls and uniquely curated experiences ashore. Each yacht will feature 149 suites, each with its own private terrace, and accommodate up to 298 guests in a relaxed, casually elegant atmosphere. As with The Ritz-Carlton® on land, each yacht will feature personalized service, elevated dining and luxury amenities.