Assistant Chef de Partie Pastry
Vessel type: Ocean-going cruise ship
ASST EXECUTIVE PASTRY CHEF
Purpose of Position
This role is to assist the Executive Pastry Chef to effectively supervise and manage the onboard Pastry/Bakery Production, ensuring that Quality Standards and Procedures are in line with Company Rules and Regulations. To ensure that subordinates are guided and trained in order to be productive.
- Responsible for leading and supporting a multi cultural team of Galley personnel, ensuring the highest level of crew satisfaction and productivity.
- The Head Pastry in conjunction with the Sr. Head Pastry is responsible to run a section independently with minimum supervision required from the Pastry Chef.
- Ensures running a disciplined shift, to be full in control of the production and personnel assigned.
- Possesses Advanced Pastry Skills.
- Ensures that Menus, Recipes, Guidelines and Methods provided by the Pastry Chef are followed accordingly.
- Maintain a safe and clean work environment by complying with USPH and Company
- Must be able to work in any section of the Pastry Department and demonstrate methods and recipes to subordinates.
- Produces and maintains the expected level of food quality in the area of responsibility as per the Pastry Chef’s instructions.
- Constantly analyzes recipes and the ongoing food productions for any possible Improvements.
- Submits the daily food requisition to the Pastry Chef.
- Counterchecks daily deliveries from the Storeroom for accuracy and reports any discrepancies to an immediate supervisor.
- Responsible for the section assigned by the Pastry Chef and its production/quality.
- Ensures that the assigned section is productive and operated with minimum supervision required from the Pastry Chef.
- Ensures that recipe reviews are conducted, corrected if needed and communicated to the Pastry Chef
- Must be knowledgeable with established quality standards and company policies.
- Responsible for maintaining quality and consistency in taste, presentation and appearance according to recipes and pictures; any possible discrepancies are to be rectified immediately.
- Communicates on a daily basis any relevant provision issues to the Pastry Chef.
- Ensures economical work practices and controls the food production to minimize and avoid wastage.
- Must have a complete knowledge and full understanding of USPH Rules and Regulations, ensuring that working/cleaning practices are applied throughout the operation.
- Ensures immaculate cleanliness in the Pastry/Bakery Department and adjacent areas by applying safe work practices, procedures according to USPH Regulations and prevent any equipment damages/loss.
- Responsible for controlling and maintaining all Pastry equipment, ensuring that it’s clean, sanitized and returned in an acceptable and proper condition after each use.
- Responsible for all Pastry Equipment in terms of cleaning, handling and storage. Any damages and/or malfunctions must be justified, recorded and reported.
- Ensures that the pastry and adjacent areas are ready for any announced and/or unannounced
- USPH inspection, done either by the Ship’s Management or local authorities (Public Health Inspectors).
- Must be familiar with the galley layout in terms of safety and security, must have a full understanding of ship rules/regulations (SMS) and participate in all required Safety Drills/Training.
- Ensures that the HACCP program is applied accordingly.
- Must have a thorough understanding of working hours policies and procedures.
- Personality and Appearance: Must have a pleasant and courteous personality. Must be well groomed, and presentable.
- Health: Must be physically fit and in good health, be able to lift up to 50 lbs (30 Kilos) on a daily basis and work a minimum of eleven hours per day, seven days a week.
- Professional Experience and Education: Standard High School Education. Requires a minimum of three years in the profession (Quality Hotels or Restaurants).
- Communication and Language Skills: Must be able to read and speak English clearly in order to interpret documents such as recipes and manuals. Other languages are considered a plus.
- Work Ethic: Must be a serious professional and take great pride in their work. Adherence to Company Rules and Regulations is a must for success in the job.
Good knowledge of the English language is required.
JOIN OUR FAMILY
As the World’s Leading River Cruise Line® and the #1 Ocean Cruise Line, we are constantly innovating our business and growing our fleet. With more than 64 river ships and 6 ocean vessels cruising across 6 continents, we are the largest, most award-winning company in the industry. There is tremendous opportunity to join our dynamically growing company — whether on board our ships or in our corporate offices.
Viking Cruises was founded in Russia in 1997. The company established headquarters in Los Angeles, California in 2000 and through rapid expansion has enjoyed double-digit growth in recent years. With operational headquarters in Basel, Switzerland, Viking provides travel experiences for guests with an interest in geography, culture and history.
The award-winning Viking Longships offer a variety of stateroom categories and true two-room suites with full-size verandas. Onboard amenities include a restaurant, bar & lounge, library and expansive sun deck. River cruises range from 8 to 23 days, with itineraries featuring Europe’s Rhine, Main, Danube, Seine, Rhône, Douro, Moselle, Elbe, Dordogne, Garonne and Gironde Rivers; Russia’s Volga, Neva and Svir; Ukraine’s Dnieper; Egypt’s Nile; China’s Yangtze; and Southeast Asia’s Mekong.
In 2015, Viking introduced its first ocean ship with the christening of the 930-guest all-veranda Viking Star. One year later, Viking launched its second ocean ship, Viking Sea, which was joined by sister ships Viking Sky and Viking Sun in 2017 and by Viking Orion in 2018. The fleet welcomes Viking Jupiter in 2019. Four more yet-to-be-named ships are scheduled to launch by 2023. Ocean itineraries are designed to maximize the amount of time travelers spend in their destination. These enriching itineraries include base and combination cruises sailing to Scandinavia and Northern Europe, the Mediterranean, the Caribbean, Australia and New Zealand, Asia, Alaska, the Americas, and Africa.