Vessel type: Ocean-going cruise ship
Purpose of Position
Handling all raw meat preparations, which includes but is not limited to defrosting, ordering and proper stock rotation. Must have a thorough professional knowledge on how to efficiently manage the meat stock/consumption on board the vessel. The Butcher must have a clear understanding of how to organize the stores/freezer and be very familiar with company standard items.
- Very good professional skills and a thorough understanding on how to handle, defrost, prepare and portion all cuts of meat. Special attention to be given to prime items.
- Advanced Sanitation Skills (USPH).
- Able to maintain stock levels and set par levels.
- Full adherence to the portion control.
- Excellent mathematical skills; ability to compute calculations.
- Maintain accurate Meat Recaps and enter electronic requisitions.
- Practice economical work practices, and avoid any wastage.
- Receiving, checking and storing of all raw meat items.
- Follow thawing and defrosting schedules/procedures according to USPH and company regulations.
- Responsible for requisitioning and transporting all meat items needed for the day-to-day operation.
- Responsible for the portioning of all meats as per Company guidelines.
- Maintain accurate meat recaps for consumption history and charging purposes.
- Assist the Provision team with inventory-taking for all raw meat products.
- Guide, train and assign duties to the Assistant Butcher.
- Must be familiar with Ship Rules and Regulations (SMS) and participate in all required Safety/Security Drills.
- Must be knowledgeable of established quality standards and Company Policies.
- Must have an advanced knowledge of USPH Rules and Regulations and ensure that these are followed at all times.
- Ensure that the butcher’s section and adjacent areas are ready for any announced and/or unannounced USPH inspection, done either by the Ship’s Management or local authorities
(Public Health Inspectors). The Butcher must be present during any inspections.
- Personality and Appearance: Must have a pleasant and courteous personality. Must be well groomed, and presentable.
- Health: Must be physically fit and in good health, be able to lift up to 50 lbs (30 Kilos) on a daily basis and work a minimum of eleven hours per day, seven days a week. Working contracts are on a 8 month basis.
- Professional Experience and Education: Standard High School Education and Standard European Cooking background. Requires a minimum of 8 years in the profession (Quality Hotels or Restaurants). Must be familiar with international butchery skills and preparations, and possess leadership and motivational skills.
- Communication and Language Skills: Must be able to read and speak English clearly in order to interpret and orate documents such as recipes and manuals. Other languages are considered a plus.
- Work Ethic: Must be a serious professional and take pride in their work. Adherence to
- Company Rules and Regulations is a must for success in the job.
Good knowledge of the English language is required.
JOIN OUR FAMILY
As the World’s Leading River Cruise Line® and the #1 Ocean Cruise Line, we are constantly innovating our business and growing our fleet. With more than 64 river ships and 6 ocean vessels cruising across 6 continents, we are the largest, most award-winning company in the industry. There is tremendous opportunity to join our dynamically growing company — whether on board our ships or in our corporate offices.
Viking Cruises was founded in Russia in 1997. The company established headquarters in Los Angeles, California in 2000 and through rapid expansion has enjoyed double-digit growth in recent years. With operational headquarters in Basel, Switzerland, Viking provides travel experiences for guests with an interest in geography, culture and history.
The award-winning Viking Longships offer a variety of stateroom categories and true two-room suites with full-size verandas. Onboard amenities include a restaurant, bar & lounge, library and expansive sun deck. River cruises range from 8 to 23 days, with itineraries featuring Europe’s Rhine, Main, Danube, Seine, Rhône, Douro, Moselle, Elbe, Dordogne, Garonne and Gironde Rivers; Russia’s Volga, Neva and Svir; Ukraine’s Dnieper; Egypt’s Nile; China’s Yangtze; and Southeast Asia’s Mekong.
In 2015, Viking introduced its first ocean ship with the christening of the 930-guest all-veranda Viking Star. One year later, Viking launched its second ocean ship, Viking Sea, which was joined by sister ships Viking Sky and Viking Sun in 2017 and by Viking Orion in 2018. The fleet welcomes Viking Jupiter in 2019. Four more yet-to-be-named ships are scheduled to launch by 2023. Ocean itineraries are designed to maximize the amount of time travelers spend in their destination. These enriching itineraries include base and combination cruises sailing to Scandinavia and Northern Europe, the Mediterranean, the Caribbean, Australia and New Zealand, Asia, Alaska, the Americas, and Africa.