Vessel type: River cruise ship
Purpose of Position
You are in charge of every aspect of food service operation and the supervision, support and mentoring of all galley staff. You ensure that food and kitchen are up to HACCP standards and operate in accordance with Viking River Cruises Standards, budgets and recipes.
- Responsible for the entire galley operation onboard
- Ensuring professional production and distribution of all meals for guest and crew in accordance with company standards, menu cycle and recipes
- Organisation and execution of F&B related ship functions and special events (e.g. Welcome / Farewell)
- Ensuring food safety, highest level of cleanliness in the galley and production areas at all times in accordance with Viking River Cruise standards & HACCP
- Ordering of all food supplies according to production planning and in cooperation with the Hotel Manager
- Conduction of menu briefings with waiter staff prior to service and instruction of waiters to explain dishes
- Preparation of opening and closing ships at start and end of season
- Supervision, motivation and training of the multi-national galley crew
- Participation in loadings and conduction of quality control
- Responsible for cost control and adherence to set budgets
- Conduction of stock takes; inventory according to company procedure
- Active participation in ship functions, socializing with guests during meal times
Supervisor: Corporate Executive Chef
Gives instructions to: Sous Chef, Chef de Partie, Commis de Cuisine, Utility
Receives instructions from: Hotel Manager, Corporate Executive Chef,Corporate Operation Manager
- Graduated apprenticeship as a cook
- Min. 4 years of professional experience in cuisine background of a 4 or 5* Hotel or Restaurant, cruise industry experience is an asset
- Excellent English skills, other languages are an asset
- Excellent management, organisational and communication skills
- Skills in every part of international cooking, HACCP rules and standards
- Service oriented and guest focused
- Flexibility and stress resistance, team player, commitment, positive personality, professional appearance
Guidelines and Regulations
Job Description • Contract • Company Rules and Regulations • Onboard ABC
Viking College • Uniform Regulation • Executive Chef Manual
Good knowledge of the English language is required.
JOIN OUR FAMILY
As the World’s Leading River Cruise Line® and the #1 Ocean Cruise Line, we are constantly innovating our business and growing our fleet. With more than 64 river ships and 6 ocean vessels cruising across 6 continents, we are the largest, most award-winning company in the industry. There is tremendous opportunity to join our dynamically growing company — whether on board our ships or in our corporate offices.
Viking Cruises was founded in Russia in 1997. The company established headquarters in Los Angeles, California in 2000 and through rapid expansion has enjoyed double-digit growth in recent years. With operational headquarters in Basel, Switzerland, Viking provides travel experiences for guests with an interest in geography, culture and history.
The award-winning Viking Longships offer a variety of stateroom categories and true two-room suites with full-size verandas. Onboard amenities include a restaurant, bar & lounge, library and expansive sun deck. River cruises range from 8 to 23 days, with itineraries featuring Europe’s Rhine, Main, Danube, Seine, Rhône, Douro, Moselle, Elbe, Dordogne, Garonne and Gironde Rivers; Russia’s Volga, Neva and Svir; Ukraine’s Dnieper; Egypt’s Nile; China’s Yangtze; and Southeast Asia’s Mekong.
In 2015, Viking introduced its first ocean ship with the christening of the 930-guest all-veranda Viking Star. One year later, Viking launched its second ocean ship, Viking Sea, which was joined by sister ships Viking Sky and Viking Sun in 2017 and by Viking Orion in 2018. The fleet welcomes Viking Jupiter in 2019. Four more yet-to-be-named ships are scheduled to launch by 2023. Ocean itineraries are designed to maximize the amount of time travelers spend in their destination. These enriching itineraries include base and combination cruises sailing to Scandinavia and Northern Europe, the Mediterranean, the Caribbean, Australia and New Zealand, Asia, Alaska, the Americas, and Africa.