Sous Chef m/f
JOB DESCRIPTION - PORTUGAL SOUS CHEF m/f
Purpose of Position
To provide at all times high standards and consistency of outstanding food quality by preparing meals to the fullest satisfaction of Viking Cruises guests. To support the Executive Chef within his scope of work, and be aligned within the set financial budgets. To ensure a high level of quality in every aspect of the food service operation while creating a friendly and guest-orientated service culture to ensure guest, both internal and external, satisfaction and repeat business, which in turn will increase revenue and profitability of the company.
This document is not a definite overview of the expected responsibilities, tasks and duties. Items can be added in the future accordingly. The holder of this statement can be asked to take on other tasks in addition of the ones stated on the paper.
- Professional preparation and distribution of daily meals (including breakfast, lunch, dinner, etc.) for guests, including internal and external, in accordance with Executive Chef Manual and menu cycle
- Responsible for correct execution of all of the relevant MXP procedures
- Replacement of Executive Chef in absence
- Ensuring professional production and distribution of all meals for guest and crew in accordance with company standards, menu cycle and recipes
- Ensuring food safety, highest level of cleanliness in the galley and production areas at all times in accordance with Viking standards and HACCP procedures
- Assisting the Executive Chef in ordering of food supplies with MXP in accordance with the budget and production planning, in a cooperation with the Maitre and the Hotel Manager, while keeping the food cost budget at all times
- Assistance in supervising, training and motivating of galley team
- Cost control for galley within the budget in cooperation with Executive Chef
- Separation and disposal of waste / garbage
- Ensuring correct handling of all equipment and products
- Conduction of stock takes; inventory according to company procedures
- Preparation of opening and closing ships at start and end of season
- Assistance in other departments upon instruction from supervisors (if required)
- Performance according to company standards and HACCP rules
- Participation in loadings
- Correct storage of stock; establishing of par levels, inventory according to company procedure
- Executing full reports in MXP in compliance with the MXP Wait Order System (WOS)
- Support Executive Chef in conducting departmental “Daily Reunions”
- Active participation on onboard training programs
- Ability to effectively deal with internal & external customers, some of whom will require high levels of patience, tact and diplomacy to defuse anger, collect accurate information and resolve conflicts
- Outstanding flexibility: must be able to work during different times of the day, under pressure and reflect at all times, even under difficult conditions, a positive can-do attitude and the best image of Viking
- Be fully proficient and knowledgeable about all relevant recipes, menu cycles, and function sheets
- Become knowledgeable about itinerary-related ports of call and shore excursions
- Full knowledge of the daily program
- Positively contribute in achieving / succeeding the KPI goals (quality and financial) for the Galley Department, as well as for the entire Food and Beverage Department
- Strong motivation to achieve the company goals and objectives
- Full knowledge about safety & security procedures
- Participations in all training concerning safety & security, fire prevention, evacuation exercises as required by the company
- Graduation from a culinary school required, and additional degree with hospitality focus preferred
- Minimum of 3 years previous experience required in an upscale cruise line or hotel of comparable size, of which minimum 1 year in the similar position in the scope of the galley operation
- Fluent in English - must be able to address any kind of information in an adequate manner with excellent oral English communication skills
- Must be able to deal correctly with confidential information and must be discrete
- Must be well groomed and maintain impeccable hygiene standards
- Extensive walking required and ability to stand on feet for a long time
- Hours may vary based upon organizational needs and operational demands
- Guest focused, service oriented, positive personality and professional appearance
- Flexible and stress resistant, team player, shows commitment
Guidelines and Regulations
- Implement PSO policies, procedures, standards, as laid out by the management
- Ensure appropriate appearance and clothing according to the updated grooming standards
- The company reserves the right to change this job description if necessary at any time
Supervisor: Executive Chef
Gives instructions to: Chef de Partie, Commis de Cuisine, Utility
Receives instructions from: Executive Chef, Hotel Manager, Corporate Executive Chef, Corporate Operation Manager
Good knowledge of the English language is required.
JOIN OUR FAMILY
As the World’s Leading River Cruise Line® and the #1 Ocean Cruise Line, we are constantly innovating our business and growing our fleet. With more than 64 river ships and 6 ocean vessels cruising across 6 continents, we are the largest, most award-winning company in the industry. There is tremendous opportunity to join our dynamically growing company — whether on board our ships or in our corporate offices.
Viking Cruises was founded in Russia in 1997. The company established headquarters in Los Angeles, California in 2000 and through rapid expansion has enjoyed double-digit growth in recent years. With operational headquarters in Basel, Switzerland, Viking provides travel experiences for guests with an interest in geography, culture and history.
The award-winning Viking Longships offer a variety of stateroom categories and true two-room suites with full-size verandas. Onboard amenities include a restaurant, bar & lounge, library and expansive sun deck. River cruises range from 8 to 23 days, with itineraries featuring Europe’s Rhine, Main, Danube, Seine, Rhône, Douro, Moselle, Elbe, Dordogne, Garonne and Gironde Rivers; Russia’s Volga, Neva and Svir; Ukraine’s Dnieper; Egypt’s Nile; China’s Yangtze; and Southeast Asia’s Mekong.
In 2015, Viking introduced its first ocean ship with the christening of the 930-guest all-veranda Viking Star. One year later, Viking launched its second ocean ship, Viking Sea, which was joined by sister ships Viking Sky and Viking Sun in 2017 and by Viking Orion in 2018. The fleet welcomes Viking Jupiter in 2019. Four more yet-to-be-named ships are scheduled to launch by 2023. Ocean itineraries are designed to maximize the amount of time travelers spend in their destination. These enriching itineraries include base and combination cruises sailing to Scandinavia and Northern Europe, the Mediterranean, the Caribbean, Australia and New Zealand, Asia, Alaska, the Americas, and Africa.