Vessel type: Ocean-going cruise ship
PURPOSE OF POSITION
Members of the Explorers’ Desk team are the first point of contact for many issues guests deal with while traveling with Viking and as such, they are crucial representatives of the Viking Way of Exploring the World. You provide guests with exceptional, friendly, personalized front-line service around the clock, both onboard and on shore, in a manner consistent with Viking‘s high standard of guest service
- Assist with organizing and dispatching of shore excursions and tenders.
- Distribute signage, audio equipment and provide general assistance to local guides during dispatch.
- Regularly accompany shore excursions and report on service standard compliance, guest satisfaction.
- Develop and deepen port knowledge through shore excursion escorting, independent exploration and study
- Process all guests at embarkation/registration according to the embarkation.
- Follow Standard Operating Procedures. This includes check-in, collecting passports and other documents. Issue boarding cards to each embarking guest
- Ensure that all guest issues and complaints received at the Explorers’ Desk are either settled immediately or referred to the appropriate department for follow up. Advise guest promptly of all actions taken, follow up and follow through until a final resolution has been achieved
- Provide information on the ports of call and available excursions and assist guests according to their needs and interests to make the most of their time on shore
- Facilitate and assist with onboard shore excursion bookings
- Assign escorts for the shore excursions to provide quality management
- Provide back office assistance with administration and preparation of shore excursions
- Maintain a working cash flow, collect payments, etc. Balance ledger daily and track all receipts and documentation
- Receive and record lost and found items
- Prepare the berthing lists, guest lists, party invitations, gift orders and special notes from the ship’s management to guests
- Aboard and on shore, keep yourself and your work area clean, orderly and presentable at all times, in recognition of your guest-facing role
- Work closely with supervisors, colleagues and other departments in order to achieve the highest possible guest satisfaction
- Play an active part in the Emergency Response Organization and to look for continual improvement in all matters relating to the safety of the guest, crew and vessel
- Perform any other tasks or duties as required or delegated by supervisors
Supervisor: Shore Excursion Manager, Assistant Shore Excursion Manager, Senior Shore Excursion Staff, Guest Services Manager, Senior Receptionist
Gives instructions to: Escorts for tours, Guides if needed
Receives instructions from: Shore Excursion Manager, Assistant Shore Excursion Manager, Senior Shore Excursion Staff, Guest Services Manager, Senior Receptionist
Contract length: 6 months
- Guest-focused and service-oriented
- Positive personality and attitude, friendly and neat appearance
- Excellent organizational and communication skills
- Excellent English proficiency, other languages are an asset
- Minimum 1 year professional experience in a guest facing environment with 5* hotel or shipboard pre-ferred
- Desirable: Firsthand knowledge of our ports of call / previous experience on an ocean ship
- Able to work independently
- Good computer skills
- Flexible and stress resistant, team player, shows commitment, high level of integrity, tactful and cour-teous
Good knowledge of the English language is required.
JOIN OUR FAMILY
As the World’s Leading River Cruise Line® and the #1 Ocean Cruise Line, we are constantly innovating our business and growing our fleet. With more than 64 river ships and 6 ocean vessels cruising across 6 continents, we are the largest, most award-winning company in the industry. There is tremendous opportunity to join our dynamically growing company — whether on board our ships or in our corporate offices.
Viking Cruises was founded in Russia in 1997. The company established headquarters in Los Angeles, California in 2000 and through rapid expansion has enjoyed double-digit growth in recent years. With operational headquarters in Basel, Switzerland, Viking provides travel experiences for guests with an interest in geography, culture and history.
The award-winning Viking Longships offer a variety of stateroom categories and true two-room suites with full-size verandas. Onboard amenities include a restaurant, bar & lounge, library and expansive sun deck. River cruises range from 8 to 23 days, with itineraries featuring Europe’s Rhine, Main, Danube, Seine, Rhône, Douro, Moselle, Elbe, Dordogne, Garonne and Gironde Rivers; Russia’s Volga, Neva and Svir; Ukraine’s Dnieper; Egypt’s Nile; China’s Yangtze; and Southeast Asia’s Mekong.
In 2015, Viking introduced its first ocean ship with the christening of the 930-guest all-veranda Viking Star. One year later, Viking launched its second ocean ship, Viking Sea, which was joined by sister ships Viking Sky and Viking Sun in 2017 and by Viking Orion in 2018. The fleet welcomes Viking Jupiter in 2019. Four more yet-to-be-named ships are scheduled to launch by 2023. Ocean itineraries are designed to maximize the amount of time travelers spend in their destination. These enriching itineraries include base and combination cruises sailing to Scandinavia and Northern Europe, the Mediterranean, the Caribbean, Australia and New Zealand, Asia, Alaska, the Americas, and Africa.