- Holland America Line
- Beverages Jobs
- Sommelier / Wine Steward
- May 21, 2023
Department: Beverage Services
Employment Type: Fixed Term Contract
Reporting To: Cellar Master
Responsible for assisting the Cellar Master in executing the vessel’s daily beverage operations with added focus on wine related activities. This includes the effective administration, supervision and execution of programs consistent with the company standards and goals of providing excellent service while maximizing revenue generation. Responsible for educating our team members and guests about our premium beverages and other retail products. Be willing to go the extra mile to assist guests and team members and recognize that every interaction is important, no matter how big or small.
All duties and responsibilities are to be performed in accordance with HAL standards, USPH and HACCP guidelines, and Responsible service of alcohol, Environmental policies, and safety procedures.
Each shipboard team member may be required to perform all functions in various food and beverage service venues throughout the ship. Each team member is required to conducts oneself in a professional and courteous manner at all times.
- Assist the Cellar Master in directing the activities of beverage team.
- Assist the Cellar Master in implementation and execution of corporate policies and procedures within the Beverage Department as they relate to wine sales.
- Assist guests during the dining hours with wine recommendations and selection for perfect pairing with their meals, decanting of the wine and wine service.
- Ensure that all wine is served in proper glassware and in proper condition.
- Maintain all beverage wine lists / Vinu tablets and Micros / Symphony wine prices to be accurate, up to date as per the tariff and free of errors.
- Maintain all Wine Locker and Vinu inventory, updated and reconciled with physical inventory. o Controls, measures and reports assigned outlet performance to the Cellar Master on a daily basis and takes required corrective action to ensure operations are in accordance with the company standards and objectives.
- Responsible for achieving and exceeding guest satisfaction standards and rating for wine services consistent with company goals. Personally gets involved with handling guest concerns. Introduces him/herself to VIP’s and Suite guests within 24 hours of boarding. Identifies wine drinkers and wine lovers early in the cruise and guides his team to make good recommendations and practice up-selling.
- Responsible for the programming and proper execution of the ‘Blend’ program (KODM and NSDM only). Ensuring that all equipment, including audio-visual, and collateral materials are up to date and set up 15 minutes prior to opening.
- Hosts and ensures proper set-up of all wine tastings, ‘Sip & Savor’, daily wine blending seminars at Blend, spirits & cigar tastings etc. Works closely with Culinary team on wine and food pairing dinners and special events as instructed by the Cellar Master.
- Lead beverage service experiance in the Specialty restaurants and Main Dining Rooms in a during all meal periods. Ensures proper mise-en-place are set up ahead of service.
- Assists on any project as assigned by the Cellar Master or Beverage Manager.
- Ensures that all reporting to the Cellar Master/ Beverage Manager is completed in a timely manner.
- Involve in all beverage wine events, tastings, sailaways and beverage seminars.
- Time permitting, attends daily operational meeting with Beverage Department management.
- Attends daily menu briefings by the Chef(s) and ensures all Wine Attendants are present, followed by a briefing with the Cellar Master or Beverage Manager.
- Attends weekly beverage staff meetings.
- On a daily basis makes an effort to check in with every member of the wine service team of his/her area and monitors their overall operation and mood.
- Assist the Cellar Master on the overall training of the Bar team, as well as the Dining Room Stewards. Training should include – but is not limited to - wine knowledge, spirits knowledge, product knowledge, selling techniques, pouring styles, correct wine service, customer service and the art of upselling.
- Ensure cleanliness is maintained in the wine cellar and the wine displays as per public health standards.
- Ensures wine dispensing facilities are maintained at company standards and meet or exceed USPH requirements. In addition, inspects wine bar and lounges in respect to physical condition, equipment condition and presentation and ensures prompt repair and maintenance through proper use of job orders. Includes being responsible for and maintaining garbage separation guidelines. Causes to maintain daily temperature and time control logs for refrigerators, glass washers, ice machines completed.
- Provides periodic feedback on beverage runners to the Cellar Master. Creates realistic goals and sets objectives for the team and follows up. Promotes innovation and change.
- Ensures effective floor supervision and monitors grooming and personal hygiene of the team.
- Counsels non-performers and does not hesitate in disciplining in accordance with company policy.
- Ensures and records a proper recording of custom’s count as required for reporting.
- Actively participates in the safety and accident prevention programs, including weekly boat/emergency drills.
- Complies with and causes to comply with House Rules as stated in MR-1000.
- Maintains a consistent application of disciplinary procedures.
- Represents the Cellar Master in his/her absence.
- Every Hotel Officer shall possess a certificate of competency of Life boatman.
- Achieves or exceeds Bar Revenue and Cost objectives for the established cruise program targets.
- Assist the Cellar Master in creating new opportunities and maximizing existing ones to generate extra revenue. Recommends measures to control/reduce costs and ensures that the operational cost budgets are strictly adhered to.
- Works closely with the Cellar Master in regards to inventory taking, cost control, loading, ordering and storing of wines. Follows proper accounting procedures, requisitions, transfers and reconciliation of daily wine sales for assigned outlets.
- Builds strong teams and encourage collaboration.
- Must be highly versed in beverage cost control, profit & loss and upsell techniques.
- Leading by example and provides regular and focused performance feedback, thus creating a dynamic team.
- Acts as a brand ambassador with the onboard teams supporting the company goals and brand direction.
- Fosters regular and structured communications within the Cellar Master and Beverage Team. o Maintains visible presence throughout the department at all times and encourage meaningful and strong guest interaction by the Sommelier and the Beverage team.
- Promotes efficiencies in time management and resources through holding structured, documented and concise meetings and inspections.
- Exercises emotional intelligence to communicate effectively throughout all levels of the operation
- Instrumental in accurate and effective budgeting
- Ensure to provide ‘collaborative leadership’ and feedback across all aspects of the wine operation, thus maintaining set standards and execution of relevant policies and procedures.
Desired Skills & Experience
- Requires extensive working wine knowledge with a minimum a WSET I certification or similar (ISG, CMS or IMW). WSET Level II or higher is preferred.
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience in managing a beverage service operation is required (Four star and above: Hotel Resort, Restaurant); or two years of experience in managing a beverage service operation on a cruise ship is required.
- Current knowledge of the US Vessel Sanitation Program (U.S.P.H.)
- Exceptional communication and interpersonal skills.
- Excellent computer software skills required (Word; Excel; Outlook etc.)
- Ability to speak and write English fluently. Proficiency in at least one of the following languages would be an advantage - Dutch, Spanish, or German.
- Ability to lead with a perspective in a culturally diverse and dynamic environment.
- Knowledge of the principles and processes involved in organizational planning, coordination and execution. This includes resource allocation, work force planning and management and leadership techniques.
- Knowledge of the principles and processes for providing personalized services, including: needs assessment techniques, quality service standards, and guest satisfaction evaluation techniques. o Knowledge of policies and practices involved in the human resources function.
- Ability to lead teams in a positive and productive manner by inspiring and developing individuals and effectively managing processes.
- Experience in Beverage Sales & Marketing, concept and new implementation fulfillment.
- Extensive knowledge of varying beverage brands and quality.
- Knowledge of new and old world wines including food and wine pairing with the capability to conduct wine tasting sessions for guests, officers and/or crew.
- Ability to read, interpret and demonstrate the preparation of drink recipes.
- Demonstrated aptitude for the management of headcount within assigned area, as it relates to and supports the business needs of the vessel. (Scheduling)
- Strong interpersonal and leadership skills.
- Demonstrated aptitude for the financial aspects of a bar operation, including the successful identification of expense reduction through cost control.
- Extensive knowledge of training and motivating the wine service team on a weekly base.
Note: Other duties as assigned included and not limited to Health, Environmental, Safety and Security responsibilities.
Holland America Line
Holland America Line has been operating for more than 140 years and we are a recognized leader in the cruise industry, operating a fleet of premium mid-sized ships. We believe travel has the power to change the world and we take pride in playing our part in opening minds, building connections, and inspiring a shared humanity. Our fleet of 14 ships visits all seven continents and annually offers more than 500 cruises to more than 400 ports of call in close to 100 countries. Holland America Line crew members are the heart of the operation and work enthusiastically to ensure that each guest has a memorable vacation.
Share this page: