MISSISSIPPI - Kitchen Utility
Founded in 1997, Viking is the world’s leading small ship travel company, exploring more than 20 rivers, five oceans, five great lakes and all seven continents. Offering destination-focused experiences for curious travelers, Viking has amassed more than 250 awards and was recently voted the #1 River Cruise Line and the #1 Ocean Cruise Line by Condé Nast Traveler in the publication’s 2021 Readers’ Choice Awards.
You now have an opportunity to join one of the most acclaimed and fastest-growing hospitality brands as it expands in the United States.
In summer 2022, Viking will launch its new, highly-anticipated Mississippi River cruises and will introduce the most luxurious ship ever built for the river, the 386-guest Viking Mississippi. Sailing on board the elegant new ship, you will dock in the heart of iconic cities that line the river; during your free time, you will be just footsteps from exploring the fascinating places that stretch from New Orleans all the way north to St. Paul.
At Viking, we offer great pay and great benefits—including a Swiss-developed training program and a work schedule that provides up to 13 weeks off each year. With all of your living expenses covered during work weeks—including lodging, meals, Wi-Fi, travel to/from the ship, uniforms & laundry—you have the unique chance to save more of your pay than in most other restaurant or hospitality positions. Being a valued member of the Viking family, you join a close-knit, supportive group of colleagues—many of whom form lifelong working relationships and friendships. And, with training from the industry leader, you will receive the skills, knowledge and tools to be successful—as well as abundant opportunities for advancement. Regardless of where you are on your career journey, Viking can help you in reaching new destinations.
Multiple positions open for immediate hiring; earn up to $37,800 annually
PURPOSE OF POSITION
- The Kitchen Steward must be familiar with the entire food operation and supervise and maintain the cleanliness and functionality of all galley outlets, pot & dish washing machines, and adjacent food areas.
- You are required to ensure that all maintenance request are posted, efficiently communicated and followed up with the respective departments.
- It is your responsibility to maintain a friendly, guest-oriented service culture to ensure Guest satisfaction and repeat business, which in turn, will increase revenue and profitability of the company.
- Establish a cleaning routine in all food production outlets, based on the cleaning plan for Viking ocean ships.
- Maintain the cleanliness of all galley storage areas, this includes but is not limited to chemical cleaning and the cleaning of lockers.
- Provide all galley outlets with the necessary cleaning materials and chemicals, as required, on a daily basis; ensure proper storage and monitor the consumption of chemical and cleaning materials.
- Ensure the cleanliness and working condition of all cleaning and washing equipment and utensils and report any damages or malfunctions to the Executive Chef; assist the Chef de Cuisine with creating and monitoring work/repair order and ensure that all galley equipment is in full working order.
- Control the garbage segregation as per Viking’s Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) and ensure that staff are supervised and trained, accordingly.
- Ensure that all galley outlets and adjacent areas comply with Public Health Policies and Procedures, at any given time.
- Be familiar with all relevant F&B events to ensure that all venues are set on time, this includes the Kitchen Table, Cooking Demonstrations, Galley Tours, etc.
- Assist the Provisions Team with loadings.
- Assist the Chef de Cuisine with training the Galley Staff to treat and clean the galley equipment, in accordance with Viking’s company policies and procedures.
- Keep the Executive Chef informed about night cleaning duties and potential operational issues.
- Be familiar with the Human Resources Manual & Shipboard Training; have an in-depth understanding of the working hours policies & procedures; be familiar with crew contracts and work schedule hours/week of Galley Utilities, to maintain working hours paperwork in MXP, and if necessary, correct entries for payroll.
- Lead and support a multi-cultural team, maximizing crew satisfaction, productivity and retention; meet with Team Leaders on a daily basis for “The Daily Reunion”, to provide feedback & operational updates as well as to ensure that your department is performing to Viking’s STAR Service Standards.
- Appoint and enforce specific job responsibilities to all key personnel working under the direction of the Kitchen Steward and establish the manner and means to train personnel.
- Ensure you always wear the appropriate and task specific Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) as required for your duties onboard. Always use correct lifting techniques to prevent injuries.
- Uphold impeccable grooming standards within your team at all times by complying with Viking’s Image and Uniform Standards.
- Ensure that company property is appropriately secured and protected, especially during rough weather conditions, in order to prevent unnecessary loss or damage.
- Assist the Executive Chef with any tasks and needs relating to the galley operation.
This document describes the primary activities, duties and responsibilities of this position. Your manager or supervisor may assign additional duties and responsibilities to you.
- Professional experience as a Kitchen/Hotel Steward or similar position, within a 5 Star hospitality and/or restaurant environment is required.
- Fluent in English - must have excellent English communication skills to clearly interpret and orate documents and to effectively communicate with Senior Management. The ability to speak additional languages is an advantage.
- Must have experience in leading multi-cultural teams; flexible, stress resistant, committed team player; strong administration skills are preferred and must be proficient with PC based databases, spread sheets, and word processing systems.
- Guest-focused, service-oriented, positive personality, professional appearance and impeccable hygiene standards are required, with excellent knowledge of all Public Health Policies; team builder with exceptional work ethic, motivational skills and coaching abilities.
MANDATORY REQUIREMENTS & AT WILL EMPLOYMENT:
- Ability to provide proof of eligibility to work in the United States
- Ability to work as necessary in order to complete all assigned tasks and fulfill responsibilities in your assigned role.
- Ability to meet moderate physical demands, including lifting, bending, climbing, and long periods of standing or walking
- Ability to satisfactorily pass a pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for Marijuana and other controlled substances. We are a Drug Free Workplace.
- Viking Cruises is an At-Will Employer. As such your, employment with Viking is a voluntary one and is subject to termination with or without cause or notice, at any time by you or Viking. Nothing in this document or in any oral or written statement shall be interpreted to conflict with or limit the right to terminate employment at-will.
GUIDELINES AND REGULATIONS
- Implement Standard Operating Procedures & STAR Service Standards within the department.
- Ensure appropriate appearance and clothing according to the updated Grooming Standards.
- The company reserves the right to change/extend this job description if necessary, at any point of time during her/his employment
Viking is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity, and sexual orientation), national origin, age, disability or genetic information.
Good knowledge of the English language is required.
THE VIKING STORY
More than 20 years ago, Viking® set the standard for what river cruising should be, and today we are the leader that all others follow. In 2015, we took the same small ship, destination-focused experience to the seas and reinvented ocean cruising. Over the years Viking has won numerous ocean and river cruise line awards from Condé Nast Traveler, Cruise Critic, Travel + Leisure, Travel Weekly and more.
Viking is a strong and dynamic company—with a growing fleet of more than 80 river ships and seven ocean vessels cruising over 100 itineraries around the world.
JOIN THE VIKING FAMILY
If you have always dreamed of combining your love of travel with the ability to grow your career, consider a position at Viking. We are the world’s leading small ship cruise line, and there is tremendous potential to advance your career with us. As part of our crew, when your ship is docked at the many destinations we visit, you can explore ashore and refresh during your free time.
Additionally, with Viking’s award-winning service and thoughtfully curated onboard experiences, our guests are typically very satisfied. This, combined with Viking’s gratuity guidelines, means that you can expect to be well rewarded as an employee on board a Viking ship.