Chief Officer (Shipboard)
Chief Officer (Shipboard)
Employment Type: Fixed Term Contract
Reporting To: Captain
The Chief Officer is the second in command and leads the Nautical Department in operating a safe, secure, environmentally sound, and efficient vessel in line with the Company’s Gold Standards, and overall commercial, operations, and human resources strategies. The Chief Officer will ensure the highest levels of cleanliness, maintenance, safety and environmental compliance are maintained in all nautical spaces at all times. The Chief Officer is assisted in his duties by his subordinate officers and ensures all systems and equipment within each sub-department of the Nautical Department are operating correctly and are maintained to the highest standard. As a member of the Guidance Team, the Chief Officer shall work in close co-operation with the Captain, Chief Engineer, General Manager and Human Resource Manager, to ensure safety and environmental systems and equipment are maintained in a state of constant readiness and the entire employee complement receives adequate professional, safety and emergency drills and trainings. Further, as a member of the Guidance Team, the Chief Officer promotes that all Gold Standards and Brand Culture are embraced by the entire nautical team at all times, and shall have a visible presence with guests, interacting and communicating as appropriate ensuring the guest experience is second-to-none.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the Lady or Gentleman for this job. Functions, duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice. All duties and responsibilities are to be performed in accordance with the Company's Safety, Quality and Environmental standards.
- Serves as the second in command of the vessel, the head of the Nautical Department and a member of the Guidance Team
- Supports and understudies the Captain at all times, with the safety of the ship, Ladies and Gentlemen, and guests as the highest priority. Is able to fulfill the role of Captain at any time
- Demonstrates a full understanding of the Safety Management System (SMS) and carries out the vessel operation in accordance with the SMS and all applicable regulatory requirements
- Serves as the Ship’s Security Officer in accordance with the International Ship and Port Facility Security (ISPS) code, ensuring the utmost regard to the security and safety, and comfort of our guests and Ladies and Gentlemen
- Directs the Nautical Department in the areas of voyage planning, navigation, small boat operations, stability, safety, security, environment, Public Health and regulatory compliance to ensure a safe and memorable experience for our guests
- Protects the wellbeing of our Ladies and Gentlemen and guests, by ensuring the ship’s employees are well equipped and motivated to deal with any emergency, achieved through oversight and management of the ship’s Emergency Response Organization and training
- Ensures full and strict compliance with national and international regulations, the Chief Officer maintains the ship's administration (certificates, class surveys, etc.) up to date and in good order
- Responsible for the vessel’s audit and inspection performance and follow up. Ensures various committees and meetings are properly attended and ensures the highest possible standards of health, environment, safety and security on board
- Works in conjunction with the General Manager to ensure the highest standards of Public Health and guest / employee comfort. Oversees all outbreak prevention planning including delivery of all onboard sanitation protocols
- Manages and directs the general maintenance and upkeep of the exterior structure and fabric of the ship, including tank maintenance, to ensure the ship is in an excellent state of repair and maintenance at all times
- Implements the departmental business and operating budget plans to ensure total compliance in all regards and guest satisfaction, reviews operating budgets and revenue reports. Analyzes established goals and objectives compared to actual results and implements recommendations to achieve all KPIs
- Manages the ship’s lifting equipment registration, database, and maintenance
- Supports the Senior Director, Marine Operations in all Newbuild areas to include work in the shipyard as appropriate
- Model and hold others accountable for promoting the Gold Standards, respect and fair treatment
- Ensures the Daily execution of Line-up in accordance with company standards and Brand Guidelines
- Sets the department’s expectations for desired behavior, knowledge and skill levels
- Coaches others by providing constructive feedback; helps others identify developmental needs and monitors progress; promoting an environment where everyone is valued and included
- Demonstrates alignment with corporate strategies and initiatives while ensuring alignment throughout the yacht organization
- Partners with Human Resources to promote and ensure a culture of fair disciplinary standards and practices and ensures all local, international and flag state rules and regulations are adhered to
- Valid Standards of Training, Certification and Watchkeeping for Seafarers (STCW) and flag certification for the duration of the contract and appropriate to position
- Minimum of three (3) years of experience as second in command on a luxury vessel
- Minimum ten (10) years of Nautical Officer experience on cruise ships in worldwide service required
- Unlimited Master Mariner License
- Prior knowledge and experience of newbuild operations preferred
- Excellent written and verbal English skills
- Proven track record of good ship handling
- Commanding presence and ability to lead
- Strong executive management skills
- Commitment to establish and maintain courteous and professional working relationships in a diverse cultural environment
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; use hands to touch, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; talk or hear; and taste or smell. The Lady or Gentleman must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
- All Yacht Ladies and Gentlemen must be physically able to participate in emergency lifesaving procedures and drills. Full use and range of arms and legs as well as full visual, verbal and hearing abilities are required to receive and give instructions in the event of an emergency including the lowering of lifeboats. Ability to lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
- All Yacht Ladies and Gentlemen must be able to communicate in the English language in order to understand and interpret written procedures. This includes the ability to give and receive instructions in written and verbal forms and to effectively present information and respond to questions from guests, supervisors and co-workers.
You will need valid STCW certificates to apply for this position. Find an STCW course near you.
The Ritz-Carlton Yacht Collection
At more than 80 award-winning properties worldwide, The Ritz-Carlton Ladies and Gentlemen create experiences so exceptional that long after a guest stays with us, the experience stays with them. As the premier worldwide provider of luxury experiences, we set the standard for rare and special luxury service throughout the world.
The Ritz-Carlton has taken the legendary service to sea with The Ritz-Carlton Yacht Collection and seeks experienced luxury cruise hospitality professionals to become one of our Ladies and Gentlemen.
Designed to combine the luxury lifestyle of The Ritz-Carlton® and the casual freedom of a yachting vacation, The Ritz-Carlton Yacht Collection will offer voyages on the first of three custom-built yachts in 2020. Calling on unique and distinguished destinations alike, most voyages range from seven to ten nights, offering many overnight calls and uniquely curated experiences ashore. Each yacht will feature 149 suites, each with its own private terrace, and accommodate up to 298 guests in a relaxed, casually elegant atmosphere. As with The Ritz-Carlton® on land, each yacht will feature personalized service, elevated dining and luxury amenities.