Chief Mechanic (Shipboard)
Chief Mechanic (Shipboard)
Employment Type: Fixed Term Contract
Reporting To: Assistant Chief Engineer
The Chief Mechanic is the highest-ranking rating in the Technical Department and is in charge of all subordinate technical ratings on the yacht. The Chief Mechanic leads and coaches the Oilers, Engine Fitters, and Motorpersons. Together with the Assistant Chief Engineer, plans and schedules all regular cleaning, overhauls and maintenance within the machinery spaces. The Chief Mechanic assigns daily tasks to the technical ratings, ensuring work is performed to the highest standards. Promotes that all Gold Standards and Brand Culture are embraced by the team at all times, particularly when assisting guests and Ladies and Gentlemen.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the Lady or Gentleman for this job. Functions, duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice. All duties and responsibilities are to be performed in accordance with the Company's Safety, Quality and Environmental standards.
- Responsible for the Engine Room, engine workshop inventory of tools and consumables, ensuring these areas are kept clean, tidy and well maintained at all times, and inventory control is accurate
- Ensures the highest standards of reliability, safety, and environmental compliance by performing proper and accurate maintenance and overhauls within the machinery spaces as directed by the Assistant Chief Engineer
- Performs general routine maintenance tasks contained within the Planned Maintenance Systems
- Ensures the safe and efficient operation of the engine plant by conducting daily machinery space inspection rounds, advising supervisors of any deficiencies noted
- Ensures safety is maintained by holding the Fitter accountable for the inventory and proper storing of tools / consumables within the Engine Workshop and injector test room
- Guides the engine ratings in performing engine overhauls for Diesel Generators, Emergency Diesel Alternator, Tenders, Lifeboats & Zodiacs
- Assists with training of junior employees in good practices related to machinery overhauls, welding, fitting and machining
- Schedules routine tasks around operational demands so as to maximize the working efficiency of the nautical department, and maintain the yacht and service to our ladies and gentlemen, to the highest standards
- Supports newbuild operations to include work in the shipyard as appropriate
- Model and hold others accountable for promoting the Gold Standards, respect and fair treatment
- Ensures the Daily execution of Line-up in accordance with company standards and Brand Guidelines
- Sets the department’s expectations for desired behavior, knowledge and skill levels
- Coaches others by providing constructive feedback; helps others identify developmental needs and monitors progress; promoting an environment where everyone is valued and included
- Demonstrates alignment with corporate strategies and initiatives while ensuring alignment throughout the yacht organization
- Valid Standards of Training, Certification and Watchkeeping for Seafarers (STCW) and flag certification for the duration of the contract and appropriate to position
- Three (3) years’ experience as an Engine Supervisor/Foreperson on small luxury cruise vessels
- Rating forming part of an Engineering Watch Certificate
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; use hands to touch, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; talk or hear; and taste or smell. The Lady or Gentleman must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
- All Yacht Ladies and Gentlemen must be physically able to participate in emergency lifesaving procedures and drills. Full use and range of arms and legs as well as full visual, verbal and hearing abilities are required to receive and give instructions in the event of an emergency including the lowering of lifeboats. Ability to lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
- All Yacht Ladies and Gentlemen must be able to communicate in the English language in order to understand and interpret written procedures. This includes the ability to give and receive instructions in written and verbal forms and to effectively present information and respond to questions from guests, supervisors and co-workers.
You will need valid STCW certificates to apply for this position. Find an STCW course near you.
The Ritz-Carlton Yacht Collection
At more than 80 award-winning properties worldwide, The Ritz-Carlton Ladies and Gentlemen create experiences so exceptional that long after a guest stays with us, the experience stays with them. As the premier worldwide provider of luxury experiences, we set the standard for rare and special luxury service throughout the world.
The Ritz-Carlton has taken the legendary service to sea with The Ritz-Carlton Yacht Collection and seeks experienced luxury cruise hospitality professionals to become one of our Ladies and Gentlemen.
Designed to combine the luxury lifestyle of The Ritz-Carlton® and the casual freedom of a yachting vacation, The Ritz-Carlton Yacht Collection will offer voyages on the first of three custom-built yachts in 2020. Calling on unique and distinguished destinations alike, most voyages range from seven to ten nights, offering many overnight calls and uniquely curated experiences ashore. Each yacht will feature 149 suites, each with its own private terrace, and accommodate up to 298 guests in a relaxed, casually elegant atmosphere. As with The Ritz-Carlton® on land, each yacht will feature personalized service, elevated dining and luxury amenities.