OCEAN - Executive Chef
Viking was founded in 1997 and has grown to be the leading small ship travel company, offering destination-focused river, ocean and expedition voyages on all seven continents. Designed for experienced travelers with interests in science, history, culture and cuisine, Chairman Torstein Hagen often says Viking offers guests The Thinking Person’s Cruise® in contrast to mainstream cruises.
With more than 250 awards to its name, the company currently operates a fleet of state-of-the-art ships that have received numerous accolades since their launch from industry experts and travelers alike. For the second year in a row, Viking was voted the #1 River Line and the #1 Ocean Line by Condé Nast Traveler in the publication’s 2022 Readers’ Choice Awards. Viking was also named #1 for both Rivers and Oceans by Travel + Leisure in the 2022 World’s Best Awards making it the only cruise line to reach the top of its categories in both publications in the same year.
Part of our Galley team on our Ocean vessels, the Executive Chef ensures the efficient operations of all food production areas, by consistently analyzing the food production quality & cost, keeping within budget and monitoring time management. The Executive Chef reports to Hotel General Manager.
WHAT YOU WILL DO ON BOARD
- Work within set food-cost budgets and follow the portion control chart accordingly and adjust food requisitions to avoid any possible overproduction.
- Share the overall responsibility of all food orders & consumption with the Inventory Manager in terms of Guest count, itinerary, availability & usage.
- Constantly strive to upgrade the food quality and presentation, host Kitchen Table events and cooking demonstrations; make use of culinary check lists on a frequent basis.
- Maintain direct communication with the Inventory Manager for provision related matters - slow and non-moving item lists, inventory, standard products, maintaining par levels, first in first out (FIFO).
- Ensure the maintenance and upkeep of all Galley equipment by overseeing the Annual Galley Equipment Budget Projection and documenting & reporting any damages/malfunctions to all relevant parties; and ordering, receiving, issuing & maintaining par levels, for the equipment store.
- Ensure that all menus, recipes, methods and specifications are adhered to, and spot-check all venues serving food on a daily basis to ensure that all food outlets & displays are in line with the quality & cleanliness of Viking’s Standards and all Public Health Policies.
- Regularly inspect Galley areas in conjunction with the Public Health Officer and Kitchen Steward, to ensure a clean and safe workplace.
- Lead and support a multi-cultural team, maximizing crew satisfaction, productivity, and retention; meet with Team Leaders on a daily basis.
WHY JOIN VIKING?
Elevate Your Career
Regardless of where you are on your career journey, Viking can help you in reaching new destinations with:
- Paid training program in skills and approach to premium hospitality services
- On-the-job coaching to help you advance rapidly
- A lifelong network of hospitality professionals from many different countries
- Internal transfer opportunities to River, Ocean and Expedition ships
On board our ship
- Lodging, meals, unlimited Wi-Fi, uniforms, and laundry are free of charge for all crew members
- Crew cabins with only 2 berths (you will have one roommate).
- Travel to/from the ship provided by Viking
- Crew-only deck, dedicated recreational spaces and activities
- Access to use the guest fitness center during certain hours
- Referral program
- Loyalty bonuses
- Tax-free salary
- Must have shipboard or premium hospitality experience with at least 2 - 3 years in the same role; advanced culinary skills are required
- Fluent in English - must have excellent English communication skills to clearly interpret and orate documents, such as menus and recipes. The ability to speak additional languages is an advantage.
- Must have experience in leading multi-cultural teams; flexible, stress resistant, committed team player; strong administration skills are preferred and must be proficient with PC based databases, spread sheets, and word processing systems.
- Guest-focused, service-oriented, positive personality, professional appearance and impeccable hygiene standards are required, with a proven and comprehensive knowledge of all Public Health and Sanitary Policies, team builder with exceptional work ethic, motivational skills, and coaching abilities.
- Must be at least twenty-one (21) years old, able to physically handle 50+ lbs. (30KGs) on a daily basis, and work a minimum of eleven hours a day, seven days a week. Previous cruise industry experience is an advantage.
APPLICATION AND JOB-RELEVANT INFORMATION
Our roles will be subject to our appearance standards (including in relation to visible tattoos) and employees are expected to project a professional image at all times. Visible tattoos are not permitted. Tattoos concealed with make-up, skin-colored sleeves or any covering other than the company uniform will still be considered visible for the purposes of our appearance standards. Exemptions to this may be considered on a case-by-case basis where appropriate. Tattoo removal may not result in successful employment and therefore is not encouraged and is the candidate’s personal decision. Furthermore, any offer of employment is subject to you passing all mandatory medical examinations as required by the company. For further information, please contact our recruiting team.
As part of any recruitment process, Viking collects and processes personal data relating to job applicants. We are committed to being transparent about how we collect and use that data and to meeting our data protection obligations. If you would like to find out more about how your information will be used, please view the privacy notice on our careers page.
Good knowledge of the English language is required.
THE VIKING STORY
More than 20 years ago, Viking® set the standard for what river cruising should be, and today we are the leader that all others follow. In 2015, we took the same small ship, destination-focused experience to the seas and reinvented ocean cruising. Over the years Viking has won numerous ocean and river cruise line awards from Condé Nast Traveler, Cruise Critic, Travel + Leisure, Travel Weekly and more.
Viking is a strong and dynamic company—with a growing fleet of more than 80 river ships and seven ocean vessels cruising over 100 itineraries around the world.
JOIN THE VIKING FAMILY
If you have always dreamed of combining your love of travel with the ability to grow your career, consider a position at Viking. We are the world’s leading small ship cruise line, and there is tremendous potential to advance your career with us. As part of our crew, when your ship is docked at the many destinations we visit, you can explore ashore and refresh during your free time.
Additionally, with Viking’s award-winning service and thoughtfully curated onboard experiences, our guests are typically very satisfied. This, combined with Viking’s gratuity guidelines, means that you can expect to be well rewarded as an employee on board a Viking ship.