The 2nd Engineer effectively runs the engine room and assists with deck maintenance on behalf of the Chief Engineer. She/He organizes the work necessary to keep the vessel running efficiently and ensures the man power at his disposal is used wisely and effectively.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Primarily run a safe and efficient engine room watch
- Completed and filed the company engine room Familiarization form
- Organizes the maintenance of the yacht on a day to day basis, ensuring that all systems are functioning as designed.
- Follow the AMOS maintenance scheme and ensure maintenance is performed in a timely manner, this maintenance should not impact on the guest experience whenever possible.
- Organize the Technical department Machinists, Firemen and wipers in an efficient manner to assist in the maintenance of the yacht.
- Be able to effect repairs of all types of machinery in the engine room, primarily the main Air conditioning compressors and associated equipment.
- Liaise in good harmony with the Deck department to assist and facilitate ongoing deck maintenance.
- Assist the Chief Engineer in taking on board spare equipment and stores, ensuring these are properly accounted for and stored in the correct fashion.
- Be able to diagnose system or equipment problems with the use of measuring instruments and manufacturers manuals.
- Be able to efficiently decide whether spare parts are required for faulty equipment or if the equipment can be repaired on board with the need for new parts.
- Be able to adequately monitor the yachts AVO system and assist in repairs required by both the deck and Hotel department.
- Install new equipment and read the manuals of such, also ensuring with the Chief Engineer that the AMOS database is also updated for such new equipment.
- Safely isolate machinery and electrical components so that work may be carried out on equipment.
- Ensure that the engine room is always kept in a clean and presentable state.
- Ensure that English is the spoken word of the engine room and promotes this with her/his peers and subordinates.
- Be fully aware of the layout and systems for the entire yacht.
- Be able to priorities maintenance with safety, efficiency and guest satisfaction in mind.
- Assist in the training of crews and officers and to ensure harmony in her/his department.
- Be aware of the company safety and environmental policy.
- Understand the correct use of MSDS sheets
- Understand the regulations and rules of SOLAS and MARPOL
- Follow the Chief Engineers standing orders.
- Accurately complete the Engine room log book and oil record books.
- Understand read and follow the company SEMS.
- Be ready to assist other watch keeping officers in their duties.
- Be able to take over the duties of the 3rd Engineer role should it become operationally necessary.
- Perform an efficient and accurate handover at the end of her/his watch period.
- At the end of her/his contract should ensure a full written handover to her/his relief including giving information on ongoing projects and goals.
- Act as On Scene Commander during firefighting duties
- STCW 4th Part Basic Training
- STCW CPSC
- STCW AFF
- STCW Crisis Management & Human Behavior
- Certificate of Competency suitable to the rank and yacht.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.
Will be required to work in a hot and noisy environment and use the correct PPE for such
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
Regularly required to sit and stand. Occasionally required to lift and/or move up to 40 pounds.
You will need valid STCW certificates to apply for this position. Find an STCW course near you.
Work Experience Requirements
All applicants must have previous experience in working on a Cruise Ship.
Good knowledge of the English language is required.
- Housekeeping Jobs (54)
- Galley Jobs (119)
- Restaurant Jobs (50)
- Beverages Jobs (31)
- Provisions Jobs (10)
- Deck Jobs (33)
- Engine / Technical Jobs (57)
- Guest Services Jobs (41)
- Retail Jobs (19)
- Spa & Beauty Jobs (29)
- Child Care Jobs (9)
- Entertainment Jobs (66)
- Photography Jobs (5)
- Shore Excursions Jobs (17)
- Medical Jobs (33)
- Sport & Fitness Jobs (12)
- Casino Jobs (3)
- IT Jobs (8)
- Management Jobs (18)
- Administration Jobs (33)
- Land Based Jobs (18)
- Other Cruise Jobs (9)
- Private Estate Jobs (0)