Doctor (Cruise Ship)
Doctor (Cruise Ship) - $ Competitive salary per month on board
ARM is seeking candidates for Medical Doctor positions on board some of the most prestigious cruise ships travelling the world.
Whilst being responsible for medical care from minor to major emergency situations, the main responsibilities of the role will include but not be limited to the following:
• Serves as advisor to the Master and Staff Captain on all matters related to Medical Center services, Guest, and Crewmember health matters and hygienic conditions onboard the vessel.
• Holds a Basic Safety Course Certificate and appropriate licenses and certificates as required by regulations.
• To be present during all clinic hours when on duty or as required by the demands of the clinic. Supervises and provides competent medical care to both Crewmembers and Guests as required, keeping the Master and Staff Captain advised of all matters of consequence.
• Responds to all codes on board the ship even when off duty.
• When the patient waiting times are greater than ½ hour or the number of people waiting to be seen by the Doctor is higher than normal, or any combination of these situations has the potential to generate a negative atmosphere, Doctors are expected to willingly cooperate with each other. In this way, waiting times will be reduced and user satisfaction increased.
• Oversee inventory of medical supplies and monitors hospital budget. The Doctor, together with the rest of the medical team, is responsible for the annual budgeting of the Medical Center’s consumable supplies and medications.
• Conserves a confidential relationship between Doctor and patient. However, if the Doctor suspects a serious contagious illness which could affect the well-being of others, the Doctor will report directly to the Staff Captain and shore side to the Director of Medical Operations or Chief Medical Officer.
• Preserves a professional working atmosphere. This includes providing adequate privacy while examining patients. In the event a male physician examines a female patient in any state of undress, the ship’s female Nurse shall accompany him.
• Participates in monthly safety meetings, assists in making recommendations which improve overall safety of the ship.
• Oversee the administration and safekeeping of all medications and drugs in accordance with regulations and Company policy. At least once a month or when there is a change in medical staff, a drug count shall be held, which the Staff Captain or the Chief Security Officer shall be present to verify.
• The Doctor shall have an understanding of the Safety and Quality Management System (SQM) and carry out the policies and procedures appropriate for his/her position.
• Participates in monthly safety meetings, assists in making recommendations which improve overall safety of the ship.• Oversee the administration and safekeeping of all medications and drugs in accordance with regulations and Company policy. At least once a month or when there is a change in medical staff, a drug count shall be held, which the Staff Captain or the Chief Security Officer shall be present to verify. • The Doctor shall have an understanding of the Safety and Quality Management System (SQM) and carry out the policies and procedures appropriate for his/her position.
• Participates in inspections of the galley and food handling areas and provides expert assistance in regards to sanitation and compliance with USPH and CDC regulations or any other Public Health authorities.
• Assists the Safety Manager, in the orientation of new Crewmembers as to safety and personal hygiene.
• The Doctor shall stay in close contact with the Director of Medical Operations and Chief Medical Officer as necessary and for all medically related methods and practices.
• The Doctor’s primary responsibility is the care of guests and crew members.
• Performs other related duties as assigned or as directed. The omission of specific duties does not preclude the supervisor (Senior Doctor, Staff Captain or Director of Medical Operations) from assigning duties that are logically related to the position.
• The Doctor will document in the patient’s medical record the nature of the consultations, past medical histories, physical examination findings, diagnoses and differential diagnosis, analysis of the cases, laboratory findings, referrals, plans of action, etc.
• The Doctor will follow the company billing practices accordingly.
• The Doctor is not authorized to waive medical fees except in those cases where company policy specifically indicates that there are no medical charges. The Staff Captain or the Ship’s Master are the only ones authorized to waive any medical fees. In that case, this must be specified in the patient’s medical record.
To be considered for this role, you must meet the following requirements:
• Three years minimum clinical experience in Acute Care setting, after completion of a recognized Medical training program is required.
• One year practical experience in Advanced Cardiac Life Support is required.
• One year experience in diagnosing and treating a broad range of medical conditions is required, including experience performing minor surgery such as suturing, removal of benign skin lesions, removal of foreign objects, removal of ingrown toenails, and identification of and immobilizing of simple fractures.
• Intermediate to Advanced verbal and written level of English is required.
• Medical Degree from a recognized College or University is required. Active, current medical license in good standing in Country or State/Province of origin is required.
• Completion of a recognized Medical specialty training program is required, in at least one of the following: Emergency Medicine, General Practice, Internal Medicine, Cardiology, or General Surgery.
• Advanced Cardiac Life Support, Pediatric Advanced Life Support and Adult Trauma Life Support certifications that are valid for the entire length of the contract on board the ship. It is the responsibility of the Doctor to ensure that these credentials are valid for the entire time he or she will be working on board the ship.
• Passionate about hospitality and customer service driven
• Must have a professional appearance and good hygiene
• Respect for all co-workers and guests
• Pride in your work by creating positive energy, excitement and fun
• Able to work 7 days a week
• Demonstrate positive behaviours; smiling, being polite and courteous
• Able to develop a camaraderie with team members
• Ability to live in close quarters, share limited space with other cabin-mates
• While performing the essential functions of this job, all team members are required to stand; walk long distances on the ship; use hands to touch, handle or feel; reach with hands and arms; talk, hear, taste and smell. All vessel positions require repetitive motion of bending, climbing, going up and down stairs and being able to lift up to 50 pounds. This job requires specific vision abilities to include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
• Team members must be physically able to participate in emergency life-saving procedures and drills. All vessel positions require full use and range of arms and legs as well as full visual, verbal and hearing abilities to receive and give instructions in the event of an emergency including the lowering of lifeboats.
• Work within different temperature changes - indoors to outdoors.
• Able to pass basic safety course.
• This is a minimal description of duties. Other work requirements may be necessary and assigned as business or maritime law dictates.
This is an excellent opportunity to join one of the world’s leading Cruise lines and become part of an outstanding multi-cultural team that continues to win awards in all categories.
Please contact us to discuss current rotations and salary levels. We are arranging interviews now so please apply as soon as possible to be considered.
ARM Maritime; Your First Port of Call.
- Accommodation Jobs (110)
- Beauty Jobs (57)
- Casino Jobs (37)
- Child Care Jobs (22)
- Deck Jobs (81)
- Engine Jobs (162)
- Entertainment Jobs (164)
- Food & Beverage Jobs (489)
- Guest Services Jobs (82)
- IT Jobs (7)
- Land Based Jobs (72)
- Management Jobs (30)
- Medical Jobs (26)
- Office Jobs (59)
- Photography Jobs (16)
- Retail Jobs (40)
- Shore Excursions Jobs (35)
- Sport & Fitness Jobs (27)
- Other Jobs (38)