Environmental Compliance Officer
The Environmental Compliance Officer is key position (2nd Purser) who reports directly to the Ship’s Master and manages and monitors all environmental related issues of the ship, including the training of all crew.
- Reporting to the Captain;
- Having a direct line of Communication with the Environmental Management Executive (EME) and/or his delegate(s);
- Periodically checking that the ship fully complies with the procedures of the Company Environmental Management System (EMS) and with Carnival Corporation Corporate Environmental Standards (CENVS) and report to the Master and Environmental Management ashore;
- Having unrestricted access to all areas onboard;
- Giving assistance to internal and external auditors during environmental audits;
- Giving support to all crewmembers in finding a solution to environmental related problems;
- Being the on board responsible for the organization of garbage management (as defined by MARPOL V);
- Verifying that all types of waste are properly managed, according to applicable laws and Company procedures;
- Being responsible to periodically check environmental log books;
- Being responsible to carry out Environmental trainings to all personnel onboard, according to Company procedures. Moreover, he is responsible for the keeping of the records of all the environmental training. Personally carrying out the following trainings: Environmental Training (basic and advanced); Department Specific Training, when required; Equipment Specific training, when required;
- Periodically and according to a fixed schedule, monitoring the correct management of hazardous materials onboard, according to the requirements of CENVS008 and checking in particular that: all Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS) of hazardous materials used onboard are available;
- Hazardous materials are stored according to the MSDS requirements and incompatible materials are not stored together “Diamond” labels of all hazardous materials are available, easily readable and correctly filled;
- Taking part to periodic meetings at the presence of the Captain and the other Heads of Department to discuss environmental issues;
- Being guarantee of the correct sampling of waste waters and other types of waste according to the agreed sampling protocols. Being responsible to archive and distribute onboard the sampling results received from the shore side offices;
- Checking that the Captain is promptly and properly informed about environmental incidents and that all incidents are notified to Quality Standard Compliance and Auditing (QSC&A) and relevant Authorities (locals, state, federal, international) as applicable;
- Being the appointed liaison between the ship and shore side department QSC&A for all environmental related issues;
- Assisting the Captain and the EME to answer questions or complaints from guests or crewmembers about alleged environmental misbehaviors;
- Being responsible to inform external contractors working on board, about relevant environmental issues and keeps record of the training;
- Being responsible to monitor the follow up of environmental findings;
- Being responsible to update the contents of the Environmental Analysis of the ship.
- University degree in environmental studies or High School Education and relevant experience of at least 3 years on board;
Good knowledge of the English language is required.
Costa Cruises is a leading Italian cruise line providing Italian style holidays for couples and families.
If you recognise yourself in the values that characterize the “Costa style”, if you left school with top grades or graduated with honours, if you think you can work well in a dynamic organization and you fluently speak a foreign language, send us your curriculum.