Assistant Pastry Chef
• Assists the Pastry Chef in the supervision of assigned pastry team members and ensures that company policies are followed accordingly.
• Directs, coaches, supports, supervises, and evaluates (with the Executive Pastry Chef) the performance of all direct reports.
• Responsible for maintaining the quality and consistency in taste according to recipes and photos provided by the corporate office.
• Sets up the pastries display in all the buffets and teatime.
• Has a complete knowledge of the United States Public Health Rules and Regulations and ensures that they are followed throughout the entire operation daily.
• Ensures that the pastry galley’s cleaning schedule established by the Executive Pastry Chef is followed by all team members on duty after each service and exercises proper methods to minimize equipment damage.
• Ensures that all pastry team members are at work on time and are in proper, well-maintained uniforms, with special attention to those working in public areas. Personal appearance and hygiene must be according to Company policy.
• Monitors food production and records the leftovers using the provided forms, minimizing wastage to keep food cost within budgets.
• Assists with the preparation of the food requisitions for the Pastry Shop and submits them to the Executive Pastry Chef.
• Assists the Executive Pastry Chef with completing the daily pastry consumption re-cap as requested by the Executive Chef.
• Ensures that all items requisitioned arrive in the Pastry Shop and are properly transported and stored in the appropriate places as per the United States Public Health Rules and Regulations.
• Must be present in an early standby each time the ship is subject to a USPH inspection.
• Has a thorough understanding of Time and Attendance procedures and is familiar with the contracts and work schedule hours/week and supporting documentation.
• Is aware of and/or acquires the necessary knowledge to comply with the ship’s standard operation, to assist guests and crew members with inquiries.
• Attends meetings, training activities, courses and all other work-related activities as required.
• Performs related duties as required. This position description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the shipboard employee occupying this position.
• Shipboard employees will be required to perform any other job-related duties assigned by their supervisor or management
• This position is responsible for cost containment through the proper use, handling and maintenance of records, reports, supplies, and equipment.
• Identifies potential expense reductions through cost control.
• Analyzes operational problems and establishes controls.
• Reviews timesheets and forwards to the E Executive Pastry Chef /Executive Chef for approval.
• May prepare a variety of reports and letters utilizing personal computer system and equipment
• Monitors and manages the various assigned workstation functions.
• Monitors the assignment of duties and responsibilities to their staff.
• Observes and evaluates staff and work procedures to ensure quality standards and service are met.
• Makes recommendations regarding personnel actions such as new hire requests and discharges, to ensure adequate and continuous staffing.
• Inspects workstations, work areas, equipment, etc. to ensure efficient service and conformance to standards.
• Mentors, develops, and provides on-the-job training to their staff to strengthen their current performance and preparation for future advancement.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EDUCATION
• Minimum of two years' experience as a Pastry Chef or equivalent in an upscale hotel, resort, cruise ship or convention banqueting service (shipboard experience preferred).
• A culinary school degree is required.
• Very strong management skills in a multicultural and dynamic environment.
• Very strong communication, problem solving, decision making, and interpersonal skills.
• Superior customer service, teambuilding, and conflict resolution skills.
• Knowledge of the principles and processes for providing personalized services including needs assessment techniques, quality service standards, alternative delivery systems, and guest satisfaction evaluation techniques.
• Strong planning, coaching, organizing, staffing, controlling, and evaluating skills.
• Intermediate computer software skills required.
• Possess a good understanding of basic accounting principles such as numbering flow, “Debits/Credits”, adjusting entries and corrections.
• Ability to write reports and business correspondence and to establish a good rapport with the ship’s Senior Officers and the corporate office.
Royal Caribbean Group
Royal Caribbean Group (NYSE: RCL) is a cruise vacation company comprised of three award-winning global brands: Royal Caribbean International, Celebrity Cruises, and Silversea Cruises. Royal Caribbean Group is also a 50% owner of a joint venture that includes TUI Cruises and Hapag-Lloyd Cruises. Together, our brands operate a global fleet of 60 ships traveling to more than 800 destinations worldwide.
We’re proud of the way our team members from different cultural backgrounds, ages, races, religions, education levels, sexual orientation, genders, and disabilities come together to create the incredible vacation experiences we’re known for. We believe that the diversity of our employees plays a major role in our success.
We are proud of our entrepreneurial spirit, the force that drives us to innovate. It’s that state of mind that helps us see opportunity where others see only risk.
Come join our RCG family and journey with us!