• Ensures the smooth and efficient operation and control of the Butcher Shop and production on a day-to-day basis according to the company policies.
• Directs, coaches, supports, supervises, and evaluates (with the Sous Chef) all direct reports.
• Responsible for the thawing, butchering and preparation of all the meat and poultry to be used in the daily menus.
• Must have a complete knowledge of the United States Public Health Rules and Regulations and ensure that they are followed daily.
• Ensures the cleaning of the Butcher Shop and thawing rooms as per the Executive Chef’s schedule, exercising proper methods to minimize equipment damage.
• Ensures that the Butcher Shop and thawing rooms are ready for any announced or unannounced USPH inspections done either by the ship’s management or USPH inspectors.
• Duties include the storing of the received meats and poultry into the freezers on loading days.
• Responsible for the requisition and transportation of the necessary items from the freezers to the thawing rooms as per the Executive Chef’s thawing schedule.
• Ensures that product yields and portions are according to the Butcher Manual provided by the corporate office and that all the resulting trimmings are effectively used or disposed of.
• Completes all the Daily Butcher Recaps as required by the Executive Chef.
• Assists the Inventory Manager with taking inventory of all meat and poultry storage rooms as required by the Food & Beverage Director.
• Ensures that Butcher Shop personnel come to work on time, and are in proper, well-maintained uniforms, with special attention to those working in public areas. Personal appearance and hygiene must be according to company policy.
• Must be present in an early standby each time the ship is subject to a USPH inspection.
• Is aware of and/or acquires the necessary knowledge to comply with the ship’s standard operation, to assist guests and crew members with inquiries.
• Attends meetings, training activities, courses and all other work-related activities as required.
• Performs related duties as required.
• This position description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the shipboard employee occupying this position.
• Shipboard employees will be required to perform any other job-related duties assigned by their supervisor or management.
• This position is responsible for cost containment through the proper use, handling and maintenance of records, reports, supplies and equipment.
• Identifies potential expense reductions through cost control.
• Analyzes operational problems and establishes controls. Reviews timesheets and forwards them to the Sous Chef for approval.
• May prepare a variety of reports and letters utilizing personal computer system and equipment.
• Ensures that items are requisitioned in correct quantities, within acceptable timeframes and in accordance with established control procedures.
• Conducts workstation spot to ensure items are correctly stored to minimize deterioration and waste.
• Monitors and manages the various assigned workstation functions.
• Monitors the assignment of duties and responsibilities to their staff.
• Observes and evaluates staff and work procedures to ensure quality standards and service are met.
• Makes recommendations regarding personnel actions such as new hire requests and discharges, to ensure adequate and continuous staffing.
• Inspects workstations, work areas, equipment, etc. to ensure efficient service and conformance to standards.
• Mentors, develops, and provides on-the-job training to their staff to strengthen their current performance and preparation for future advancement.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EDUCATION
• Minimum of two years' experience as a Head Butcher in an upscale hotel, resort, cruise ship or convention banqueting service (shipboard experience preferred).
• A culinary school degree is required.
• Very strong management skills in a multicultural and dynamic environment.
• Very strong communication, problem solving, decision making, and interpersonal skills.
• Superior customer service, teambuilding, and conflict resolution skills.
• Knowledge of the principles and processes for providing personalized services including needs assessment techniques, quality service standards, alternative delivery systems, and guest satisfaction evaluation techniques.
• Strong planning, coaching, organizing, staffing, controlling, and evaluating skills.
• Intermediate computer software skills required.
• Possess a good understanding of basic accounting principles such as numbering flow, “Debits/Credits”, adjusting entries and corrections.
• Ability to write reports and business correspondence and to establish a good rapport with the ship’s Senior Officers and the corporate office.
Royal Caribbean Group
Royal Caribbean Group (NYSE: RCL) is a cruise vacation company comprised of three award-winning global brands: Royal Caribbean International, Celebrity Cruises, and Silversea Cruises. Royal Caribbean Group is also a 50% owner of a joint venture that includes TUI Cruises and Hapag-Lloyd Cruises. Together, our brands operate a global fleet of 60 ships traveling to more than 800 destinations worldwide.
We’re proud of the way our team members from different cultural backgrounds, ages, races, religions, education levels, sexual orientation, genders, and disabilities come together to create the incredible vacation experiences we’re known for. We believe that the diversity of our employees plays a major role in our success.
We are proud of our entrepreneurial spirit, the force that drives us to innovate. It’s that state of mind that helps us see opportunity where others see only risk.
Come join our RCG family and journey with us!